R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Roof rails vs. roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may have missed this somewhere, but I had tried to get factory rails installed on my '09 clubbie... and was informed that I couldn't do it with a rear spoiler. So I asked my MA about the racks and he wasn't sure that would work either. Do any of you know anything about this? I would really like something as I have a kayak and my kids want kayaks... and my DH has a bike...
Also, and I'm sorry as this is OT, I'm curious about the hitch- I read something about how it renders the rear fog lite worthless?! Anyone have any experience.
I'm sorry if these questions have been answered in previous posts- I've been reading and reading and am now googly-eyed
Thanks for your help-
Vivi

Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
I may have missed this somewhere, but I had tried to get factory rails installed on my '09 clubbie... and was informed that I couldn't do it with a rear spoiler. So I asked my MA about the racks and he wasn't sure that would work either. Do any of you know anything about this? I would really like something as I have a kayak and my kids want kayaks... and my DH has a bike...
Also, and I'm sorry as this is OT, I'm curious about the hitch- I read something about how it renders the rear fog lite worthless?! Anyone have any experience.
I'm sorry if these questions have been answered in previous posts- I've been reading and reading and am now googly-eyed
Thanks for your help-
Vivi
Rails and spoiler no go.

Roof racks and Spoiler should be Okay as long as the itme is mounted tot he racks with the proper attachments.

As for the hitch and the fog light are concerned on a clubman. The hitch and the fog light are nowhere near each other. On some of the coops on of the hitches mounted thru the hole where the fog light was located.

As for a hitch on a clubman there have been reports of one being sighted but no final words on when the two companies designing one will have on for sale. Both companiew were hoping for june/july but that has not happend.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:47 AM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Rails and spoiler no go.

Roof racks and Spoiler should be Okay as long as the itme is mounted tot he racks with the proper attachments.

As for the hitch and the fog light are concerned on a clubman. The hitch and the fog light are nowhere near each other. On some of the coops on of the hitches mounted thru the hole where the fog light was located.

As for a hitch on a clubman there have been reports of one being sighted but no final words on when the two companies designing one will have on for sale. Both companiew were hoping for june/july but that has not happend.
Thank you for the info. I went to my dealership yesterday and my MA actually showed me where the rack would go- there's some kind of indentation along the rain gutter & it doesn't have to be drilled into the roof anymore. AND, tee hee, with the racks I can carry my kayak, which will miss the spoiler due to its design

MA also said that he has seen ONE hitch on a clubbie, the man drove up to Ohio or Indianna to have it installed. Supposedly they (MiniFini) did a great job but with installation, lights, wiring etc, it was close to $1k.

It will be on my "list" ...

Thanks again-
Vivi

Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Thank you for the info. I went to my dealership yesterday and my MA actually showed me where the rack would go- there's some kind of indentation along the rain gutter & it doesn't have to be drilled into the roof anymore. AND, tee hee, with the racks I can carry my kayak, which will miss the spoiler due to its design

MA also said that he has seen ONE hitch on a clubbie, the man drove up to Ohio or Indianna to have it installed. Supposedly they (MiniFini) did a great job but with installation, lights, wiring etc, it was close to $1k.

It will be on my "list" ...

Thanks again-
Vivi
Here is the link to the MiniFini site for the clubman hitch. and yes with install probably close to 1k as the parts are $475.00 and there is a lot of work to get it on there. http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=29

MiniDoMore.com is also working on one but i have not heard lately what the status is and they do not show it on their site yet.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can someone with the roof rack on their Clubby mesure the distance between the roof and the top of the bars, please? I'm wondering if the car, with this rack and a cargo box, will fit in my garage. Thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 01:20 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
From the top of the front bar to the highest point of the roof (center of car) = 3.5"

Same specs for the rear bar = 3.25".

This was done in a hurry in my office parking lot with a lousy Dayrunner ruler. Consider the measurements approximate.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:21 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
I have not seen a roof rail in person. Do we know how the cross bars mount....on many cars they are contained between the rails. This would mean cross bars of a fixed length.

The real advantage, I think is that you will be able to adjust your cross bars to the spacing you want or need to accomodate differing accessories or lengths of items being carried.

I also think that I read that the rails and cross bars carry slightly less weight than the OEM rack.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Back in July when I spoke to a Rep at ASK MINI, I was told that the roof rails with cross bars were to be rated up to 165 pounds. I have not spoken to anyone about the particulars since then. Perhaps one of the Parts Dept folks will have more info.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:50 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JGS
I have not seen a roof rail in person. Do we know how the cross bars mount....on many cars they are contained between the rails. This would mean cross bars of a fixed length.
This is true for many other vehicles but not for BMW's and Mini's are probably the same. The BMW's with this style "Roof Rail" do not actually have cross bars provided by BMW, in fact they do not make a Roof Rail Cross Bar as other manufacturers do. Only after market cross bars are available. BTW the cross bars that BMW/MINI sell are actually re-branded aftermarket bars.

Originally Posted by JGS
The real advantage, I think is that you will be able to adjust your cross bars to the spacing you want or need to accomodate differing accessories or lengths of items being carried.
Aftermarket bars will fit most of the length of the rails

Originally Posted by JGS
I also think that I read that the rails and cross bars carry slightly less weight than the OEM rack.
As Otra stated the Official Mini Book lists them as carrying 165 lbs.

Now that is cross bars, mounting feet accessories (bike trays, kayak carriers, box etc) plus the item you add on such as a bike, kayak, box etc.

Crosbars, feet and acessories can add up to 15lbs minimum to over 40lbs depending on the accessories. Not including the bike, kayak etc.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM
heli_guy
2nd Gear
Has something changed, as I thought the 2009 Clubmans were not going to be able to put the rack on? Only roof rails??

Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I was referring to the roof rails in my post.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by heli_guy
Has something changed, as I thought the 2009 Clubmans were not going to be able to put the rack on? Only roof rails??
As far as i know currently you could have either. This may change some day. The 09's i have seen have the holes in the roof for the roof rack, so i would say that they can be fitted.

If you have the roof rails then the possibility is that you can not mount the roof rack. I have not seen a car with roof rails so i can not say for sure.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
As far as i know currently you could have either. This may change some day. The 09's i have seen have the holes in the roof for the roof rack, so i would say that they can be fitted.

If you have the roof rails then the possibility is that you can not mount the roof rack. I have not seen a car with roof rails so i can not say for sure.
What my MA & I figured out is that IF you have a clubbie and have a rear spoiler, you cannot have OEM roof RAILS. Therefore if you want to carry something, you have to get the roof rack (which is what I'm getting as I ordered the spoiler, but have a kayak or a bike)- One thing you want to double check is the length of what you're carrying if you have the spoiler & the rack, as you *could* mess up your spoiler. We are pretty sure my kayak will miss the spoiler due to the kayak's shape... (if not... oh drats, I have to get another kayak to fit my car, giggle)

Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Otra
the clubman rails 82 71 2 149 225 are approved and available to order
Just to clarify...this part number is for the roof rack pictured here...

...and not the roof rails pictured here...

...just wanted to make sure there is no confusion with the part number that was posted.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
I think those rails are good looking...

Old 09-27-2008, 03:49 PM
burbankianmini
1st Gear
does anyone have part# for the rails or the spoiler pls post i wouls be gratefull and if anyone knows if the rails will be sold separetly thx

Old 09-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
The Roof Rail photo (Green Clubman) posted by Partsman and a different view thats in my gallery. It appears on a quick examination of them (I dont have my Clubman yet) that they are bolted on from underneath the head liner. That is there dosent seem to be any removable covers on the rails, and can't be removed without removing the headliner.
As far as I know they are not currently avaliable other than from the factory.
While MINI, Thule, Yakima, currently don't (officially) offer any racks to mount to them, they appear to be the same as the one's offered on the BMW's. BMW, Thule, Yakima, currently offer racks that fit the BMW roof rails. I will try to stop by the BMW dealership after I pick up my MINI to compare the MINI roof rails with the ones on the BMW. If they are indeed the same we should be able to get racks for them under a BWM listing.

BTW schatzy62 I have recently looked at the Yakima racks, there seems to be a much tighter fit between the foot & bars then the thule's, I can now see how easily they could bind up with a season of road salt. I saw your instruction sheet on another thread (nice job) there appears to be rub marks on the protection pads in the photos is this from being on the car, from storage, or just they way the light hit when you took the photo.

Last edited by Mr Ray; 09-28-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Duncan Maio
1st Gear
I stopped in to sign the paperwork on my Clubman yesterday (the green one pictured in Partsman's post above) and asked about accessories for the rails. My MA checked with Service or Parts, I forget which, and they didn't have anything official yet, either, but thought the profile looked very much like the rails on the BMW 5-series Touring.

What say you, Partsman?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Mr Ray

BTW schatzy62 I have recently looked at the Yakima racks, there seems to be a much tighter fit between the foot & bars then the thule's, I can now see how easily they could bind up with a season of road salt. I saw your instruction sheet on another thread (nice job) there appears to be rub marks on the protection pads in the photos is this from being on the car, from storage, or just they way the light hit when you took the photo.
The only marks i have on my car from the "Roof Rack" is a little dirt from the rubber bumper while they are installed. I wipes away when the car is washed and does not show any signs of wear or scratching.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Duncan Maio
I stopped in to sign the paperwork on my Clubman yesterday (the green one pictured in Partsman's post above) and asked about accessories for the rails. My MA checked with Service or Parts, I forget which, and they didn't have anything official yet, either, but thought the profile looked very much like the rails on the BMW 5-series Touring.

What say you, Partsman?
From the part description for the roof rails and the design note i have about them they are very very close to the BMW 5 series design. Basically just a different size for the car.

The Low Rider from Yakima should fit it just fine the get some bars that don't hang over the roof to far.

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?Number=8000118

I use these on my 5 series wagon

Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duncan Maio

What say you, Partsman?
Laura was at my parts counter while you were checking out your new Clubman(very nice,btw) and asking me about a base system from BMW/MINI that will fit the factory rails. There is nothing specifically available for the R55 yet, although the setup from the new 3 or 5 series touring may in fact work.

When I get to work on Tuesday I will see if I have a base system in stock for a touring, and i'll shoot you a PM.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Please keep us all posted as to what will work on these.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:50 PM
burbankianmini
1st Gear
When I get to work on Tuesday I will see if I have a base system in stock for a touring, and i'll shoot you a PM.[/quote]

i hope you do not mind sharing with the community thanks as i need a rack on my car as i am handicapped with a 14 month old thanks

Old 09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Duncan Maio
1st Gear
Partsman:

I am picking my Clubman up Monday or Tuesday. If it's still there, feel free to see what fits. Let everyone know.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:35 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
The Low Rider works on almost every bar system out. I'm sure you could find one or two that don't work but even with out seeing the new rails in person I would say it has about a 99% chance of working. Any shop that sells them should let you take a set out and see if they work.

Quick Reply: R55 Roof rails vs. roof rack