R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Geico "Station Wagon Rating" for the Clubman??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 01:29 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geico "Station Wagon Rating" for the Clubman??

Several posters have informed us that GEICO has been classifying the MINI Clubman as a Station Wagon which results in very low rates.

My insurance company, Liberty Mutual, did not know what the Clubman was when I bought it and based my premium on the VIN and the cost of my car ($28,000.00). No great break on the premium.

Today, I went to Geico.com to get a quote. But their website program does not list the Clubman (S or non-S). So I called Geico directly. The agent told me that her computer does not list the Clubman as a specific MINI model either. So she told me the same thing my Liberty Mutual agent told me: The premium is based on the VIN and the price of the car. She said the Cooper would be rated in a similar manner.

Accordingly, I am having some doubts that anyone is getting a "station wagon rate" on the Clubman. I don't mean to stir up trouble, but Geico offered no different rating on the car than Liberty Mutual.

Thoughts?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have USAA and our Clubman is shown as a MINI - just like our other previous 3 MINIs were. No difference.....

Donna

Old 08-02-2008, 02:31 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by richs10
Several posters have informed us that GEICO has been classifying the MINI Clubman as a Station Wagon which results in very low rates.

My insurance company, Liberty Mutual, did not know what the Clubman was when I bought it and based my premium on the VIN and the cost of my car ($28,000.00). No great break on the premium.

Today, I went to Geico.com to get a quote. But their website program does not list the Clubman (S or non-S). So I called Geico directly. The agent told me that her computer does not list the Clubman as a specific MINI model either. So she told me the same thing my Liberty Mutual agent told me: The premium is based on the VIN and the price of the car. She said the Cooper would be rated in a similar manner.

Accordingly, I am having some doubts that anyone is getting a "station wagon rate" on the Clubman. I don't mean to stir up trouble, but Geico offered no different rating on the car than Liberty Mutual.

Thoughts?
richs10,

I'm one of the (soon to be) Clubman S Owners that posted about Geico. My Clubman will arrive in the US on 08/11 and I hope to pick it up by 8/25.

I currently own a 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser and when I gave my Geico rep my VIN #, my 6 month rate went up only $75. I was expecting much more. I asked how the vehicle was classified, he said "station wagon". The main reason for the small increase is I'm single, with two cars and will only drive one of the cars to work (round trip of 11 miles). My post to the group was more from the humor side of driving a "station wagon" than the rate difference. I still keep thinking of the post on another thread where a stranger, after seeing a Clubman for the first time, called it a "baby SUV"!

Station wagon or not, vehicle classification doesn't necessarily mean that your rates will be low. I live in Phoenix Arizona and my 6 month rate for the Land Cruiser has been as high as $1,500, so a $75/6 months increase to add my Clubman is a good thing.

Just as a point of comparison, a current quote for my Land Cruiser quote from Liberty Mutual is much higher than Geico. That doesn't make Liberty Mutal a bad company in all states. I worked in the insurance industry for over 20 years. Rates are largely tied to your zip code. Sometimes zip code is more of a rate factor than vehicle make/model.

Now all I need to do is sell my Land Cruiser when my Clubman arrives!

William

Old 08-02-2008, 03:08 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wearlaz
richs10,

I'm one of the (soon to be) Clubman S Owners that posted about Geico. My Clubman will arrive in the US on 08/11 and I hope to pick it up by 8/25.

I currently own a 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser and when I gave my Geico rep my VIN #, my 6 month rate went up only $75. I was expecting much more. I asked how the vehicle was classified, he said "station wagon". The main reason for the small increase is I'm single, with two cars and will only drive one of the cars to work (round trip of 11 miles). My post to the group was more from the humor side of driving a "station wagon" than the rate difference. I still keep thinking of the post on another thread where a stranger, after seeing a Clubman for the first time, called it a "baby SUV"!

Station wagon or not, vehicle classification doesn't necessarily mean that your rates will be low. I live in Phoenix Arizona and my 6 month rate for the Land Cruiser has been as high as $1,500, so a $75/6 months increase to add my Clubman is a good thing.

Just as a point of comparison, a current quote for my Land Cruiser quote from Liberty Mutual is much higher than Geico. That doesn't make Liberty Mutal a bad company in all states. I worked in the insurance industry for over 20 years. Rates are largely tied to your zip code. Sometimes zip code is more of a rate factor than vehicle make/model.

Now all I need to do is sell my Land Cruiser when my Clubman arrives!

William

Ok, I now understand. But I got all excited when I read your old post. I thought I was gonna get a great drop in my premium cause I bought a "Station Wagon". (I perfer to call it a "Surf Wagon"!) My old car was a 2001 Dodge Durango R/T (5.9 ltr performance engine). My premium stayed the same on the liability, UM coverages, but went up on the collision/ comprehensive due to the value of the 08 Clubman compared to a 01 Dodge. So I was a little disappointed

Here in MD, I live in a "good" county, have good credit and a perfect driving record, so my premiums are not that bad considering I carry high coverages (500,000/500,000/100,000 with 500/250 deductible collision/comp) with an umbrella. Premium with Liberty Mutual on the Clubman is about $1,100 per year. Geico did give me quote today of $800.00 per year, but I also get a Home/Auto/Umbrella combo discount so I'm gonna have to check to see what happens if I split up my coverage between Geico and Liberty Mutual.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
a very large factor of insurance rates have to do with how much a car will cost to be repaired in case the insurance co. has to shell out money. another big factor is how much damage the insured vehicle can cause to another car.

lets put it this way, I pay close to 500 less a year on my Clubman than on my previous Mazda3

Old 08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
lets put it this way, I pay close to 500 less a year on my Clubman than on my previous Mazda3
Now, that's what I was talkin' bout! $500 less! But, alas, not for me.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:10 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
You might want to check with Geico, they have home coverage in some parts of the US. Unfortunately, not in Arizona yet.

Just to show you how crazy rates can be, when I moved to Arizona from North Carolina, my insurance for my then vehicle was $420 / 12 months. Phoenix, AZ was $2,100. Same person, same vehicle, same credit, same coverage, same company, same driving history.

Further, there are SOME zips in Phoenix where rates are 75% higher than mine and the distance from me to them is less than 15 miles - same county even. That's what happens when you have auto theft rates as high as we do... The number of uninsured driver are VERY high as well.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Flytime
2nd Gear
I have State Farm and they also classify the Clubman as a station wagon.

In western NY I'm paying $335 for 6months.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
We have USAA and our Clubman is shown as a MINI - just like our other previous 3 MINIs were. No difference.....

Donna
So do I!

So I take it you guys are (or were) military as well? Wait, VA to Oceanside, are you Navy?

I know this is off topic, but I *love* USAA.

Ok, I'm done hijacking, lol.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I live in Mass and hae a obscure insurance company called Commerce Insurance. ( MA is a no-fault insurance state so all the insurance companies are obscure -most large ones won't touch MA with a 10-foot pole).
Anyway, Commerce also classifies the Clubman as a station wagon, and my insurance dropped considerably as compared to my 2005 Honda Element. In fact the Clubman is actually $10 less expensive than our 1997 Honda Accord!!
I can't imagine that is correct, but I'm not asking questions. I don't remember the exact cost, but somewhere around $625/yr. M Element was over $1000/yr. Station wagon is fine by me....

Old 08-03-2008, 05:07 AM
outlawmedic
1st Gear
I have State Farm also & when I got my insurance on Thursday I just had my same coverage swapped from my 95 Infiniti J30 to my new Clubman S. Everything else stayed the same and my premium only went up about $48 a year. I looked at the way the screen was and it was listed as "MINI Cooper Clubman S S/W"
But I also insure everything through State Farm, a car, a truck, a camper, a motorcycle & my house. I also have been with them for 10+ years with no at fault claims.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reldieh
So do I!

So I take it you guys are (or were) military as well? Wait, VA to Oceanside, are you Navy?

I know this is off topic, but I *love* USAA.

Ok, I'm done hijacking, lol.
We love USAA too...they have been fantastic when we've had issues. Mike is former Navy, my Dad is retired Navy (RAdm.). I was born at Camp Pendleton - Dad retired here after we left Hawaii - Mike and I met in VA - lived back there for many years - we moved back here almost 5 years ago to be near my parents...

Donna

Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
We love USAA too...they have been fantastic when we've had issues. Mike is former Navy, my Dad is retired Navy (RAdm.). I was born at Camp Pendleton - Dad retired here after we left Hawaii - Mike and I met in VA - lived back there for many years - we moved back here almost 5 years ago to be near my parents...

Donna
Very cool! I'm a Los Angeles native but my husband lived in Oceanside for a few years, and we still have family in San Clemente. We are active duty NSW. Well, he is active duty, and I'm the tough spouse, lol. He's been active for 8 1/2 years, and we've been here in hot, humid Mississippi the entire time! I can't wait to move, lol. In fact, I want to go to VA.

Ok, I apologize for the hijacking. Again.