R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Accessory Mistakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you buy a US spec Mini with PDC there are no front sensors. The diagrams are for parts ordering. If you had a Euro spec Mini with PDC it would have both front and rear sensors. I do not believe there is a rear-only PDC option for Europe.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:11 PM
vaper
2nd Gear
front sensors, back sensors. Is there any car that's easier to park than a MINI? It's laughable that PDC is an available option.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Ahchoo01
1st Gear
Not so laughable...

Originally Posted by vaper
front sensors, back sensors. Is there any car that's easier to park than a MINI? It's laughable that PDC is an available option.
Granted the Mini Clubman is still smaller than most vehicles out there on the road, it is by no means a guaranteed breeze to park, especially if you live in a densely populated city like myself.

Street parking is pretty much the only available option, unless you like paying $18 for parking. Those street spots are usually very tight with no predefined lines drawn to ensure that cars keep a safe distance from one another. On at least one occasion I've come out to my car only to find another car riding up on my bumper. They certainly could have used something like the PDC!

I for one think the PDC is a very useful feature, maybe not for all, but certainly for those who want an extra measure of protection when navigating the urban jungle.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear visibility is not that good in the MINI. Between the high waist, headrests, and pillars, you can miss a lot. I think the PDC is a great feature. Makes it much easier to maneuver in tight spaces.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
DanH
1st Gear
I got the sport seats in a package, but would have preferred the regular seats with less aggressive bolsters.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Very, very happy I bought the heated seats.
Very happy I bought the sunroof
Very happy I bought the rooster red color line and piano black
Happy I bought the punch leather interior
Happy I bought the armrest

Really wish I didn't buy metallic paint. Wife vetoed yellow and red, but those are the real Mini colors in my view.

Only missing one accessory - probably should have bought the multi-function steering wheel to get the cruise control.

Otherwise, it is a perfect car.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 AM
jjkell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scatmanjack
I was thinking about getting the Wooden MFSW and along with the English Oak Dash, however after 'testing' the wheel I found that I missed leather-wrap-around feeling of the normal wheel (I have the leather MFSW on 2006 R50 and have an R55 on order). The wooden insert felt out of place and would be uncomfortable on long trips so in the end I ordered the leather MFSW and English Oak Dash on my new R55- mid-June delivery...

Paul
I was thinking about getting the Wooden MFSW but won't as I like the leather-wrap-around feelng also.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Went back and tried to add the Anthracite headliner, but it was too late and my car had already started production.

Other than that, I think I'll be happy - should find out in a few days as my car was off-loaded from the ship on Thursday.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Aporia
Neutral
Bluetooth for hands free phone. It's the law here now in California as of July 1 but it knocked my socks off the first time I used it.

Despite the expense, I also opted for Sirius radio factory installed and I love it. I use it more than the iPod adapter. A real surprise is the way it keeps my husband occupied. On a recent four hour trip he didn't complain once about being the passenger. He has always maintained that he gets car sick unless he's driving.

I got the cold weather package because I get cold easily even in Los Angeles. That said, I wish I had gotten the climate control option. My husband likes the AC a lot more than I do. As it is now, I sometimes have to turn the seat heater on while the AC is going when he's in the car. I'm happy with the windows down, but he doesn't like the noise interfering with his Sirius surfing. (Go figure, he's the one with the mini convertible - so you'd think he'd be used to the wind interference.)

I sort of wish I had gotten the NAV system to help with the commute, but is it just me or is there a bit less congestion in LA with the price of gas approaching $5? I'll probably spring for it next time.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Now, since it's summer, I could do without the sunroof, since it's not tinted.
The Premium package made the sunroof cheap in price.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:16 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I bought mine with as many bells and whistles as I could get and love them all. I don't understand those that don't like the armrest? It fits me perfect, holds my phone and gym cards. Love the chrome line interior and exterior look. The homelink and autodiming mirrors and very helpful and I had them on my last car too. VEry pleased with the laser blue black combo. THe controls on the steering wheel are what I am used to. Can't imagine not having them at all. The 17" alloy web spoke wheels with the sport suspension are a terrific combo. Regardless of the package you choose or can afford, this car is terrific for the money. The base model is very good value for the dollar but I am used to the other options having had them in previous vehicles. VEry happy I got the clubman! I would do it again in a heartbeat. I continue to be amazed at the storage capability of this car! New surprises every day!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:54 AM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Wish I had ordered the rain sensing wipers........the one-speed-only intermittent wipers never seem to be at the "right" speed.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:06 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
Good point! The rain sensors are a good buy! Love them too.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:06 PM
BahnMan
1st Gear
Been buying new cars for 30+ years, probably 15 cars, and I've custom-ordered every one of them. If I'm spending that kind of money, I want it my way.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Question about the auto climate control - can it be turned off, or will the fan blow when it senses that it needs to?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I got the carpet and rubber mats. Love the rubber ones so much I sold the carpet mats.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
That I didn't get the "white signals" I thought they were white bulbs and I didn't want to pay that much for bulbs. Now I am really bummed that I didnt get them. I am half tempted to call the dealer and see if I can swap them out for some...

Other than that I am happy with everything else I purchased. Now I am just waiting to get everything else in the mail that I have ordered.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:13 PM
shamus kay
1st Gear
Very unhappy with the leather/cloth combination...90% cloth only about 10% leather and you should see the back seat, almost no leather!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Otra
Question about the auto climate control - can it be turned off, or will the fan blow when it senses that it needs to?
You can turn the auto function on or off. You can use the auto climate control in a full manual mode, selecting fan speed and vents. You'll still set the temperature. Just picture the temp indicator as a digital version of the red to blue scale you would see on a manual temp control. Meaning "LO" would be all the way to the coldest temp.

I use mine set to LO and adjust the fan speed when I'm not using the heater or a/c.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for the explanation Minidrivr.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Question for y'all - if one goes with the standard dash color what color are the door surrounds, etc.? I assumed they'd be that white silver, too - but a recent photo of bumgardnern's Astro Black shows the dash silver and the rest of the plastic interior black, if I'm not mistaken: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=845...and that is the way it appears on the configurator...so...am I correct on this? **Answered my own question - the current configurator says "fine white silver with contrasting dark door bezel"

Also, in hindsight...I don't think I would go with the chrome exterior again..I really only wanted the extra "bone" in front on my cooper Clubman...not all the rest of it.

Last edited by Otra; 07-30-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: answered myself!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I never thought I would say this, but...

I am SERIOUSLY considering not getting A/C on my next MINI. I mean, this week it has been in the 90s a couple days. I didn't run the air conditioning. I prefer driving with the windows down, the sunroof wide open, and letting the wind keep the sweat of me. Besides, I can hear the Megan exhaust better that way!!

And that's an expensive little option. It could just about pay for an Aero Kit. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Wow and you're in Maryland - the land of heat and humidity? I remember when I did not have air co - in the early 80s in my Toyota Corolla Hatchback (brown metallic no less!) - and being down in your state...with the windows rolled up against an onslaught of ravenous mosquitos in one of those great state parks!!

I would always get air co - even though I might not use it much... Do they even sell cars without air conditioning? I'm not talking about auto air - that's another story...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:01 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No problems with mosquitos this summer... nor really any summer since I came back here to live a few years ago.

And with all that wind ripping through the car, I really don't mind the heat and humidity all that much. The bennies of having a/c doesn't outweigh the cons, in my mind.

Who knows, by the time I order my next MINI maybe I'll change my mind.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Don't get me wrong - I love fresh air too...and often drive with my windows down..more often than not...but when it's in the 90s plus and humid...it's awfully nice to have that air co, when your in slower driving modes.

Quick Reply: R55 Accessory Mistakes?