R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 No beading drops after Ragtop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:27 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No beading drops after Ragtop?

It finally :impatient rained on my top for the first time since I did the Raggtop cleaning and treatment weekend before last. I expected the water to bead up, but it looks the same as it did before the treatment. Did I not put enough RT on it?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:51 AM
dchautin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could coat the entire roof in duck feathers...I think that could work. Kidding.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
stereophile
Neutral
Mine neither.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Judging from this http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...-top-care.html, it appears that the water should bead. Apparently I did not apply the protectant properly, but I don't know what I did wrong. Well, I do know I ran out of time and didn't do a 3rd coat , but it's hard to believe that
2 coats = no bead
3 coats = beads up

Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Diosdado
2nd Gear
I'm also curious about how much raggtop it takes to bead. I've seen a top with raggtop bead the water beautifully, but after my detailer put raggtop on I didn't see any beading and just assumed that he didn't do it or put on too little.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:16 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
I think the beading has to do with the type of water being thrown down onto the roof. There will be days in complete downpours where my roof doesn't bead, then there will be the "light" rains that will bead and slide right off (usually on my head as I'm sitting down). I think I last applied 303 in November 06 and I still get beads. We're not quite done with winter here in Ohio, so I'm guessing it'll be a few more weeks before I can. Then again, it's going into the dealer tomorrow and I might bring up the wear marks on the hood (above the rear windows) and see if they might be good enough to write it up for replacement..

Last edited by ThomB; 04-08-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:28 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
After I use raggtopp mine beads like crazy (moreso than with 303). I think it's best to apply the protectant in full, hot sun where it almost dries off right when you apply it (if that helps)

Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
I have experienced heavy beading when I used Raggtop and it lasts quite a long time. The one thing that would lessen its effect is if you spray it on while the top is still damp. It needs to be pretty much bone dry or the spray won't set right and you won't see the beading.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:53 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by neilgj
I have experienced heavy beading when I used Raggtop and it lasts quite a long time. The one thing that would lessen its effect is if you spray it on while the top is still damp. It needs to be pretty much bone dry or the spray won't set right and you won't see the beading.
That makes sense - with the top wet (or even damp), the protectant would "wick" down into the fibers of the top, rather than staying on the surface. I don't know if it would protect any less that way, but I can see how it wouldn't bead as much.

I have the Raggtopp kit here at the house, I'm just waiting for the weather to stay consistently warm and sunny for a few days in a row before treating the tops on our MINIs.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:38 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Thanks for all the input. It could have been that it was still damp down deep. I think another significant factor was that there was a breeze and I was trying to follow the directions about how far away to be. I think most of it blew away. Doh!

Friday night I vacuumed and lint-rolled it good and clean. Saturday morning, I masked off the glass & paint areas, and put the rest of the can (2 1/2 more coats) on from about 9" away. When ever I felt a breeze, I paused until it was gone. Later in the day, when I washed him, it beaded.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:02 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
I can probably search for this -- but: where can I get Raggtop? Is it widely available?

Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
It's not "widely available" in the sense that your local Pep Boys or Autozone will carry it, but it's available from a bunch of places online. I got mine at Detailer's Paradise, since I'm always ordering stuff from there anyway.

If you do a web search for it, remember that it's "Raggtopp" (two g's, two p's).

Old 04-09-2007, 06:56 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by davavd
Friday night I vacuumed and lint-rolled it good and clean. Saturday morning, I masked off the glass & paint areas, and put the rest of the can (2 1/2 more coats) on from about 9" away.
So one can only got you two coats on the first application and 2-1/2 coats on the second application? I only bought one Raggtopp cleaner/protectant kit, and was hoping that I'd be able to do both our MINIs with the same kit.

You mentioned you had some problems with the wind on the first application. If I treat the cars in the garage, away from any breezes, do you think I'd be able to cover both tops with three coats from a single can of protectant?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
I am hoping it will be warm enough this Friday so I can try a new paint-on product called Renovo Ultra Proofer that I got from Detailer's Paradise. I know the application may take a smidge longer but not having to tape off or worry about overspray or the wind blowing away the spray has made me wanna try this stuff. I will let you guys know how it works

Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThomB
Then again, it's going into the dealer tomorrow and I might bring up the wear marks on the hood (above the rear windows) and see if they might be good enough to write it up for replacement..
Well, I guess I don't have to treat this top with any care... A new on is on order.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Riquiscott, you MIGHT get 6 coats from one can. My interpretation of a coat is pretty liberal. I went over all seams a second time.
I can't use Raggtop in my garage. There are 2 gas appliances - WH & furnace. Can says "extremely flammable". Don't want to blow up.

Bamatt, good luck with the RUP paint-on. It would be nice if that works.

ThomB, can you take/post pics of the wear-marks that netted you a new top?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
ThomB, can you take/post pics of the wear-marks that netted you a new top?
I'll try. I think it's pretty funny. The marks (I believe have been referred to as "white marks") are above and slightly behind the rear windows. It appears that they are caused by the sub frame. It's like the material is rubbed off a bit on the exterior of the top and to me (only from a certain angle) it shines when the light hits it just right.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Not wanting to start the top waterproofing flame war..

But I'm still LOVING my 303 treated roof - almost 6 months later, it beads like CRAZY and nothing seems to stick to it. Looks like new, after probably 80+ open/close cycles...

Old 04-10-2007, 06:52 AM
davavd
6th Gear
I'll try. I think it's pretty funny. The marks (I believe have been referred to as "white marks") are above and slightly behind the rear windows. It appears that they are caused by the sub frame. It's like the material is rubbed off a bit on the exterior of the top and to me (only from a certain angle) it shines when the light hits it just right.
That is a perfect description of what I have (much more accurate than "white marks"), but I didn't think it was a big deal. Maybe it will get worse and start to bother me more.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
That is a perfect description of what I have (much more accurate than "white marks"), but I didn't think it was a big deal. Maybe it will get worse and start to bother me more.
Mine isn't real bad, but I figured I'll be out of my 50,000 miles in about 2 months and this top has been through 2 winters with plenty of salt and crap so what does it hurt to ask at a normally scheduled service (oil change)?

I'll go try to get a photo of the area now...

Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
I think localized "shiny spots" are going to be an inevitable result of folding the top up and down repeatedly. Both of ours have them, but the cloth isn't worn or frayed anywhere. I've seen other tops where the cloth actually begins to get thin and wear through.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
Here is a photo. I've put 3 images in my gallery. this image in it's full blown size also shows the material quite clearly. (Don't mind the dirty windows, Winter's back in Northeast Ohio.)

Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
From what I've read on different threads, the wear marks are the result of rubbing when the top is down and being bounced around while driving (i.e. not from putting the top up and down).

When I sprayed Raggtop on the roof, it seemed to sit as tiny droplets on the surface of the fabric. I rubbed it down to work the Raggtop into the fabric, using a hand in a plastic bag. Not sure if this is a good technique, but beading did last a long time.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:47 AM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Here is a photo. I've put 3 images in my gallery. this image in it's full blown size also shows the material quite clearly. (Don't mind the dirty windows, Winter's back in Northeast Ohio.)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1_no_flash.jpg
I have an 06 with the same marks and live in the same climate as you. Drove mine all winter and am surprised how well the top weathered. I'm not worried about them as they seem like pressure points that mat down the fabric (look like shiny spots) and don't seem to get any worse. I'm surprised that the dealer would replace a top for this unless you are one of the unlucky early 05 owners that are covered by the service bulletin for truly excessive wear. If I were you I would drive it and wait until the warranty is about up and then have it replaced. I gaurantee the same marks will reappear if you get a new roof. Just the nature of the design. Clean it and treat it with Raggtop once the weather breaks and they'll practically disappear.

Last edited by banjoez; 04-11-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by banjoez
I have an 06 with the same marks and live in the same climate as you. Drove mine all winter and am surprised how well the top weathered. I'm not worried about them as they seem like pressure points that mat down the fabric (look like shiny spots) and don't seem to get any worse. I'm surprised that the dealer would replace a top for this unless you are one of the unlucky early 05 owners that are covered by the service bulletin for truly excessive wear. If I were you I would drive it and wait until the warranty is about up and then have it replaced. I gaurantee the same marks will reappear if you get a new roof. Just the nature of the design. Clean it and treat it with Raggtop once the weather breaks and they'll practically disappear.
Yeah - I concur - ALL fabric tops get some wear/smoothing/compression at the "pressure" points - it's just the nature of the beast. If it's actually WEARING OUT (like the early ones), that's a problem. If if simply doesn't look like new, well, it isn't paint... so it's not going to look like a new top forever... another "compromise" of the cabrio... which I'm happy to live with...

Quick Reply: R52 No beading drops after Ragtop?