R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Any Cabrio owners have a sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:20 AM
daniel2218
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the difference between a 19mm and 22mm? I assume that's tube diameter? Why would someone choose one over the other?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:21 PM
WEEGIT
2nd Gear
Larger diameter is typically more resistant to twist, so stiffer.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
daniel2218
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WEEGIT
Larger diameter is typically more resistant to twist, so stiffer.
What's the trade-off with going to a larger bar? The ride won't be as comfortable as with a 19mm bar?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 PM
WEEGIT
2nd Gear
Sway bars don't affect normal ride quality. Where they come into play is when you are turning. Suspension stiffness (degree of sway) must be balanced between front and rear sufficiently to avoid severe under or oversteer (inability to turn-in vs tendency for rear end to break loose) or otherwise upsetting the balance of the car. Cars are normally designed with some understeer (safer), but front-drive cars with the higher percentage of weight in the front tend towards too much understeer. The first stage in correcting this is to increase stiffness in the rear. Up to a point no front stiffness increase is necessary. Up to 22mm rear bars, even on the stiffest setting, are about right without any change to the front. Larger bars in the rear will require larger bars in the front as well. The overall effect is to maintain balance, but also maintain the car in a flat, nearly parallel relationship to the ground, while turning.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:12 AM
daniel2218
1st Gear
Thanks for the explanation Erik, very helpful. The only question I'm still uncertain about is why would I opt for 19mm over 22mm if the 22mm is stiffer and still maintains balance. I see you have the 19mm. Why didn't you choose 22mm? Thanks for putting up with all my ?'s.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:30 AM
goldsbar
Neutral
One more thing to remember that I just learned. There's a difference between effective and actual diameter. The H-Sport Comp is around 25 mm but it's hollow so it's really equivalent to a 22 mm bar.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 AM
BartMack
6th Gear
I've been told the MCS cabrio has a larger sway bar oem.... does anyone know the actual oem size? I can't find it listed anywhere on the MINIUSA site or via NAM searches...

Old 05-30-2007, 06:00 PM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BartMack
I've been told the MCS cabrio has a larger sway bar oem.... does anyone know the actual oem size? I can't find it listed anywhere on the MINIUSA site or via NAM searches...
That sounds right. The chasis, A-pillars, etc are all beefed up on the cabrio, and I wouldn't doubt that the swaybars are bigger as well. Therefore is it necessary to get an upgraded swaybar? Would it make that big of a difference?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
wtadye
Coordinator :: PDX MINI Club
I installed a 19mm bar on an 05 MCSC and the factory bar was 16mm same as a MCS.Made a big difference on the way the car handled,but after he drove my MCS with an Alta 22mm bar,he was wishing he had gone with the bigger bar.Also people install the MCS bar on the MC as an upgrade as the standard MC bar is only 15mm.

Allen

Last edited by wtadye; 05-30-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-30-2007, 06:51 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Still love my H-Sport 19mm bar on my cabrio - remember - it's not just stiffer, it's also adjustable - by effectively shortening the bar you make a huge difference.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
I have the 19mm Alta in the middle position on my Cooper Cabrio. I had it installed by a pro. I had heard that the OEM S sway bar was 18mm and the Cooper was 16mm. So some Cooper owners have been known to use the OEM bar from an S for a cheap (or sometimes free) upgrade. If those numbers are right, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference on an S, going from 18mm to 19mm. But there was a big difference with my Cooper and I loved having that bar installed when I was at the Dragon.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Again, I experienced a BIG NOTICEABLE difference with the 19mm H-Sport on my MCSC. Not subtle AT ALL. The thickness is only part of the equation. Otherwise why would there by three adjustment holes???

Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Maybe you guys are driving the cars differently. Blimey might be approaching the point of retinal detatchment!!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:27 AM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Guess I should have read through the whole thread before posting. Sorry about that Paul. Glad to hear the 19mm sway bar makes a big difference on the S too. M7 USS is next for me and I hear that's huge.

Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Again, I experienced a BIG NOTICEABLE difference with the 19mm H-Sport on my MCSC. Not subtle AT ALL. The thickness is only part of the equation. Otherwise why would there by three adjustment holes???

Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_Bee
Guess I should have read through the whole thread before posting. Sorry about that Paul. Glad to hear the 19mm sway bar makes a big difference on the S too. M7 USS is next for me and I hear that's huge.
No apology required, Jack.

The USS plus H-Sport 19mm equals cabrio bliss. At least for me.

And watching Bee's Dragon videos - he was enjoying those twisties as much as I was - he was probably just a little less planted and/or more terrified.

But, yeah, I did superglue my retinas before a couple of those runs...

When you install your USS - make your you loctite ALL the hardware and re-tighten it after a couple hundred miles. Word from the wise...

Old 06-25-2007, 03:16 PM
MadisonMini
1st Gear
Get the Xtreme Sway Bar

Last year, I installed the WMS Extreme Sway Bar. The advantage of this install, if you're doing it yourself, is that I didn't have to drop the struts. Just cut the curve off the old sway bar, and the WMS bar slides right across to the other side.

The difference in handling is amazing, highly recommended.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 AM
KTsMom
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by neilgj
I have the H Sport Comp. I installed it myself. The instructions neglect to mention the presence of an extra frame bolt on the Cabrio about mid-way between the wheels, up behind the heat shield. They also neglect to mention that removing the old (and inserting the new) sway bar requires loosening the gas tanks to give you enough play to cheat the bar around that same frame bolt's mounting bracket. If you are aware of those two issues, a self install should take 2 or maybe 3 hours. Less, if you are not as much of an idiot incompetent than I

The improved handling is noticeable and the mod well worth the money.
Me too!! Well, I didn't install it myself, my husband did it and I helped. I also have the ProMINI strut brace on the front.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
I watched one get installed last weekend on a cabrio after doing one on an MCS (not mine) the day before. My advise would be if you're going to do it yourself, remove both shocks, on the Cabrio remember the center bolt and give your self about 2 hours for the first one you do 1 hour there after, make sure you have a good selection of extensions. Also because of the way everything is setup on the cabrio, make sure you can unbolt the back end of your exauhst because you will need to lower it slighlty to get everything to fit if it is welded in place it ends up being a real pain based on what I observed. Best of luck, hope this helps .
Hahaha, just came across this thread. You wouldn't happen to be talking about this swaybar install on a cabrio, would you? I can still hear Randy cursing under his breath about that install. What a difference it made though.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:47 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Along the same line of questioning...Anyone JUST have a USS and NO sway bar? I know there is a huge difference before it, I am on the fence about ordering the USS, the STB and a RSB... Cashish isn't quite ready to bloom on that tree yet.

Is getting a RSB added with the USS a 'must have'?

Old 06-29-2007, 05:58 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ I'll be getting a USS and STB in the next few days -- no rear sway yet -- so I'll be able to answer the first part of your question.
There has been a lot of discussion on this -- I think most appear to agree that, at least on the cabrio, the USS makes more of a difference than the RSB . . . so if you're only getting one get the USS. BUT the car does get even better if you do get both.
I'm not sure the STB is going to do much for me (especially with a USS on there), but I'm mostly getting it (the M7) for the anti-mushrooming protection.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:27 AM
humcmcel
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have both the Alta 19mm rear anti-sway bar set on the second hole and the USS from M7 on my MC Cabrio. For my money both were well worth the money. I put them on about 6 months apart and noticed a nice improvement with both.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:09 PM
minianni
2nd Gear
Got the USS only no sway and for most street driving won't get the sway. USS helps at smooth out the handling. In other words stops the chatter. Tested this at VIR's Patriot course during parade laps. (yea right}

In normal street driving none of this stuff is needed except non-runflats and maybe Koni FSD's.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:14 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MINInurse
Anyone JUST have a USS and NO sway bar? I know there is a huge difference before it, I am on the fence about ordering the USS, the STB and a RSB...
I have the M7 USS and STB on my cabrio. No rear sway bar (yet - maybe in a couple of months).

USS is great - reduces understeer, makes whole care feel tighter - especially over bumps.

STB makes no diff in handling - only gives peace of mind re: mushrooming.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM
2phun
4th Gear
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but I have a question about the USS. I have an aftermarket exhaust (Blueflame that had to be modified to fit the cabrio). If I went with the USS, would there be any fitting issues? This is definitely something I'm interested in doing, but scared it just won't work with my setup.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Some aftermarket exhausts have had fitting issues, such as Milltek. Does Blueflame hang lower than stock, and what modification was made to it?

Quick Reply: R52 Any Cabrio owners have a sway bar?