R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Convertible Glass Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 10:52 AM
rsunico
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prestige (Mahwah NJ) replaced the window last Saturday. They had the car from Tuesday night and I drove a new MC40 loaner for several days while they waited for the window to arrive. No answer was given as to what caused the scratch.. since this was the first time they had encountered the issue.

Is the scratch more commonon the passenger side window? the driver side is clear (knock on wood) on my car.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
meg
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rsunico
Prestige (Mahwah NJ) replaced the window last Saturday. They had the car from Tuesday night and I drove a new MC40 loaner for several days while they waited for the window to arrive. No answer was given as to what caused the scratch.. since this was the first time they had encountered the issue.

Is the scratch more commonon the passenger side window? the driver side is clear (knock on wood) on my car.
It's worse on the drivers side of my car. I am gonna print this out when I go to the dealer. Might as well wait to have windows replaced till there is a fix. And in the meantime I can argue that they should pay for the new ones to be tinted.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:53 PM
rsunico
3rd Gear
Well that blows the theory that its more prevalent on the passenger side..
Good luck.

At least if anyone on NAM goes to Prestige for a window scratch i hope the Service Manager will now respond "we've seen this before..."

Old 06-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Goatherder
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jonoanddee
yes, i have the scaratches, yes, my boot is misaligned, yes,my rear windows squeak going down!!! i love the car , but mini quality seems to be dubious at best!!
The scratches don't seem to bother me as much as the boot. I was at MOT and noticed half a dozen other cabrios with the same boot problem! All of them had one side sticking out farther than the other. Still love my MINI though.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:52 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Scratch is worse on driver's side but the wear mark on the roof is worse on the passenger side. I can actually see the fabric starting to fray I'm due for the 10K checkup so it looks like the dealer & I are going to have a little chat.

Lois

Old 06-29-2005, 05:54 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Goatherder
The scratches don't seem to bother me as much as the boot. I was at MOT and noticed half a dozen other cabrios with the same boot problem! All of them had one side sticking out farther than the other. Still love my MINI though.
That was another thing that my dealer fixed for me.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:04 PM
trouphaz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
That was another thing that my dealer fixed for me.
wait, so your dealer was able to fix the misaligned boot? mine sticks out on the left also. so far i've been putting my top up and down a lot (just got the car on June 25). i'll keep an eye out for the scratches.

i went to morristown mini to get my car instead of prestige. when i mentioned the issue with the windshield he said that he's read a lot about it on the mini forums. so, i'm hoping that they stay on top of the issues that people are complaining about.

Old 07-24-2005, 02:09 PM
k1brown
Neutral
Just noticed that both the driver and passenger rear windows on my LY MCSC have the scratches.

Boot latch also a bit misaligned. Find that if i shut it with more pressure on the left side that it latches correctly. If I try to shut it by pushing in the middle (what seems to be the natural. intuitive manner), the left is out enough that I get sporadic lighting of the door ajar light onthe dash.

Have about 9k miles now -- will have dealer look @ when I take it in for first service.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:00 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by trouphaz
wait, so your dealer was able to fix the misaligned boot? mine sticks out on the left also. so far i've been putting my top up and down a lot (just got the car on June 25). i'll keep an eye out for the scratches.

i went to morristown mini to get my car instead of prestige. when i mentioned the issue with the windshield he said that he's read a lot about it on the mini forums. so, i'm hoping that they stay on top of the issues that people are complaining about.
Sorry, just checked this thread. Yes Bob Smith Mini was able to correct the boot alighnment issue. There is also a noticably different feel to it when closing now.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:15 PM
trouphaz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Sorry, just checked this thread. Yes Bob Smith Mini was able to correct the boot alighnment issue. There is also a noticably different feel to it when closing now.
actually, i just took my car into the dealership last week. they said they can replace the latch to get the boot to close properly, but they are waiting on parts.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Cherry2005
3rd Gear
For those of you who will be going to a dealer with the crescent-shaped scratches, just take the rep out to the lot where their new Cabrios are for sale. You're guaranteed to find scratches there, and this will undoubteldy take the wind out of their sails when they've accused you of getting dirt in the track or when they say they've never heard of it before.

Here's a photo I took at Bob Smith MINI after the MINI service rep said she'd never heard of the scratches before;

Old 07-24-2005, 05:35 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Cherry2005
For those of you who will be going to a dealer with the crescent-shaped scratches, just take the rep out to the lot where their new Cabrios are for sale. You're guaranteed to find scratches there, and this will undoubteldy take the wind out of their sails when they've accused you of getting dirt in the track or when they say they've never heard of it before.

Here's a photo I took at Bob Smith MINI after the MINI service rep said she'd never heard of the scratches before;
You must be talking about Nicole. She was pleasent to me this past weekend. Admitted there is a problem, although no fix yet.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:48 PM
reddbear
1st Gear
I too, have the scratches and mis-aligned boot, but the mis-alignment is the right side of my MINI. Grrr. I'm glad I am not the only one with these scratches(wait, i'm glad that any of you have the scratches!)

I got my windows tinted yesterday and the tech came to ask me, "Dude, did you know your rear windows are scratched?" I said, "...yes...", and he said "Well, you should see 'em now with the tint, they are pretty bad"

Sure enough, I went to check and behold, major visibility on the scratches.

Sigh, now I will have to take ANOTHER trip to Universal City MINI (my 6th in 8 months!!!!!!!!!!) to get this fixed.

I absolutely love my MINI, but good heavens, this is pretty bad. I guess that's what happens to Rev. A. models.

Good luck all,

-Jay Redd
'reddbear'

Old 07-24-2005, 06:12 PM
rsunico
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear about yet another trip to Universal MINI for you!

I'm wondering at what point I ebay my car! Kidding. Hmm.. am I!
Misaligned boot, window scratches...

UPDATE: 7/26. Service Manager or Prestige MINI rang me. He told me his MINI FSE (Field Service Engineer) had never heard of this problem. He informed him that there is a lot of chatter online about the issue. The FSE conferred with other FSE's and in fact MINI USA is AWARE of the problem. It seems the seal around the glass is causing the scratch. MINI is looking at a fix. He (Service Manager) thinks they might have a fix in several weeks. My car will be the first one in for the fix - I will be the guinea pig. And they will see if that cures my problem. Hope it does and hope it cures other's problems..

Old 07-28-2005, 06:49 AM
classpro
2nd Gear
We are all so lucky to have this great site to find out the truth when the dealer says it's our fault and they've never seen the problem before. If I have a problem like this and the dealer tells me he's never seen it before and won't fix it under warranty, I'm going to send a written demand letter to the dealer and to Mini. My experience is that written demands get responses. They are breaching their warranty if they do not fix problems identified during the warranty period. By putting your demand in writing, you not only have a better chance of getting it fixed under warranty, but you extend the warranty period on the item. So that should always be the first step. I would write a letter that (1) states the date of purchase and the warranty period, (2) states when the problem started, (3) states when you informed the dealer about it, (4) states the dealer's response, (5) states that this is a common problem (referencing the attached printout of comments from this site), and (6) demanding that the repair be covered under warranty. Give then 20 days from the date of the letter to respond, and make it clear that you intend to pursue the matter legally if they continue to ignore your demand. I'd bet money that you'll get a call apologizing for the problem and promissing a fix.. There is no excuse for the way the service manager treated you. If there's a defect under warranty, it is their legal obligation to fix it - no matter what the cost.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:10 AM
rsunico
3rd Gear
[size=2]Actually I have no issue whatsoever with the Service Manager at Prestige MINI. I believed him when he said that he had never seen it before (I asked a few other cabrio customers that they had). They DID replace the glass without a fuss. [when I had a problem w/ my other MINI with my radio not displaying properly at 20 degrees below zero they replaced it w/o a fuss]

When it occurred a second time, he reached out to his FSE. It was his FSE who indicated that s/he (the FSE) had never encountered the issue. The Service Manager's rebuttal to the FSE is that it exists and that there is a lot of chatter on the Net about the issue. This was when the FSE reached out to his counterparts and this is how the FSE got the info that MINI USA is aware of the defect and they are working on a fix.

The key, according to the Service Manager, is that people report issues so these can get funneled back to MINI USA. Otherwise things will not get addressed.

[/size]

Old 08-01-2005, 09:05 AM
DSA
3rd Gear
My MINI S also has these scratches but thusfar only one on the left rear at an angle it its pretty deep, I noticed it last night. my MINI is only 8 days old, but alas I love it just the same.

Personally I thinks it feels better built than my 03 EB/S. This cabrio just seems stiffer yet smoother. I am not sure if the newness has just not worn off or if it is actually better. I was so happy with my first MINI but I couldnt help myself when I saw the cabrio.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:42 AM
rsunico
3rd Gear
Fix Fix Fix?

Has anyone heard if MINIUSA has a fix for the glass scratches? I just found a new crescent starting on my car (same window as existing crescent). I sent the Service Mgr of Prestige an email last week and I hope to hear back from him soon...

Old 09-12-2005, 11:46 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
My Cabrio is in the shop right now for a new top & rear side windows. We'll see if the windows are fixed.

Lois

Old 09-12-2005, 11:50 AM
bellybean329
3rd Gear
Curiously, I don't have the scratches...what build dates are having them? I'm going in at the end of the month for a top replacement (YAY!) and to have the rear driverside window fixed, but only because it had to be smashed out because of some moron, I mean, me...:smile:

Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bellybean329
Curiously, I don't have the scratches...what build dates are having them? I'm going in at the end of the month for a top replacement (YAY!) and to have the rear driverside window fixed, but only because it had to be smashed out because of some moron, I mean, me...:smile:
Mine was a Sept 04 build. But I have a friend who's wife got her Cabrio 1 week ago & he's seeing some very slight scratches. I hope our tops turn out ok. I have a Cabrio loaner & it does not have the sharp edges where my top was worn.. So maybe they have fixed the tops.

Lois

Old 09-12-2005, 01:04 PM
bellybean329
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
Mine was a Sept 04 build. But I have a friend who's wife got her Cabrio 1 week ago & he's seeing some very slight scratches. I hope our tops turn out ok. I have a Cabrio loaner & it does not have the sharp edges where my top was worn.. So maybe they have fixed the tops.

Lois
Thanks! I was just wondering, because I didn't know if I needed to be on the lookout for this. Mine is an 11/04 build, but this hasn't eared it's ugly head yet...

Old 09-13-2005, 05:21 AM
Inimay
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got all the common problems. Januray Build:

Glass Scratches, Boot Mis-aligned, Top Fraying, squeaky roof when sunroof open, white marks(rub) on the top, etc.

I am approaching 10K and I plan to call them ahead of time and warn them I am coming, with convertible and other issues. Glad to hear steps are being taken to fixing the problems.

These really are minor items (currently) and don't effect my enjoyment of the car. I guess since the windows and top are always down, I never notice or jsut having to much fun to worry about it.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:48 AM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bellybean329
Thanks! I was just wondering, because I didn't know if I needed to be on the lookout for this. Mine is an 11/04 build, but this hasn't eared it's ugly head yet...
Mine was a 11/04 build as well, and so far no signs of scratches in the back side windows or top wear :smile: except for the fold marks, but that has been the norm for any cloth top convertible that I have owned, especially black. However, I do check for potential problems on a regular basis.

MsBrit

Old 09-13-2005, 11:19 AM
CoopLex
2nd Gear
I hope your luck continues. Mine is a 11/04 build and I have both the white marks and the window scratches. Parts are on order as we speak.

Quick Reply: R52 Convertible Glass Scratch