R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Driver's Axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Driver's Axle

Hi, everyone. My 05 R52 5 Speed has a wobble or hop. I have noticed the Driver's CV does make a small click once in awhile so I am going to start with this (and motor mounts). I have an OEM axle (I purchased a used OEM axle versus a new OEM or Chinese/Mexican metal made one). Is there anything I need to be aware of when I change the axle? I have procrastinated on ordering a Bentley manual and now I am paying for it. The motor mounts seem straight forward and there are plenty of write ups on those. However, I could not find anything on the Driver's side axle (plenty on the passenger side). Anyone have a used Bentley manual for sale? They usual go fast when they are posted on the classified here. Thanks, everyone.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:38 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Might be able to sift through our tech forum and see if this answer may have already been answered, if not, post it up and a technician should be able to help you out. We also have a great amount of OEM axles in our parts catalog.
Good luck!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 PM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bearybee
Hi, everyone. My 05 R52 5 Speed has a wobble or hop. I have noticed the Driver's CV does make a small click once in awhile so I am going to start with this (and motor mounts). I have an OEM axle (I purchased a used OEM axle versus a new OEM or Chinese/Mexican metal made one). Is there anything I need to be aware of when I change the axle? I have procrastinated on ordering a Bentley manual and now I am paying for it. The motor mounts seem straight forward and there are plenty of write ups on those. However, I could not find anything on the Driver's side axle (plenty on the passenger side). Anyone have a used Bentley manual for sale? They usual go fast when they are posted on the classified here. Thanks, everyone.
Taking the axle loose was easy except I ran into one issue. I plunging joint end stayed in the transmission. I'm afraid to pry it out. I took the passenger side axle loose thinking I'd be able to tap the axle from the back side. However, that wasn't the case. I can't get a clear shot in it. Anyone have suggestions?

Driver's Axle-forumrunner_20150424_211800.jpg

Old 04-26-2015, 05:47 AM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bearybee

Taking the axle loose was easy except I ran into one issue. I plunging joint end stayed in the transmission. I'm afraid to pry it out. I took the passenger side axle loose thinking I'd be able to tap the axle from the back side. However, that wasn't the case. I can't get a clear shot in it. Anyone have suggestions?
I took a strap (from a ratchet strap) and made a slipknot around the joint. I took the other end and wrapped around a crowbar and gave it a few form tugs and it popped right out.