R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Not sure WHAT to think?!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure WHAT to think?!!

Been having an issue with my wife's cabrio, and wanted to get other members' opinions. First - it's a used 2007 Cooper S.

The day after we bought the car and brought it home in early May of this year, it ran hot. Temp gauge fluctuated, but pegged a few times, while sitting still. Rushed the car home, and I began checking things over. As most everyone would do first, I checked the coolant overflow tank - COMPLETELY EMPTY! No problem - got antifreeze in the garage, just fill it up. Worked fine - no more overheating issues and temp gauge registered correctly - for about 2 or 3 weeks.

Then, my wife calls me at work and tells me the car ran hot again. My first thought... what the hell is going on here?! I checked the car over and this time - "looked" for leaks. None to be found, or at least not any leaks that I could see, or find! I remember reading somewhere, that there was an issue with the 1st Gen.'s having a coolant overflow tank leak problem. So, I checked the overflow tank carefully. Can't "see" any signs of a crack, a leak, or for that matter, even any evidence where there might have been a leak, leaving behind coolant residue. Can't see any leaks around the radiator, and there's - NOT A DROP - of coolant on the pavement in our driveway. Don't even "smell" coolant, like you normally would with a leak!

Here's the issue...
I've now filled up that coolant overflow tank - 4 TIMES since early May!!! With that much "added" coolant - if there were a leak - you would certainly think you would "see" evidence by now somewhere, especially on the driveway?! But so far - NOTHING! In fact, a couple of Saturdays back, I had the car up on jacks, to change the brake pads and brake pad sensors, and didn't see ANY evidence of a possible leak "under" the car either?! So where the hell is all that coolant going?! If it were a head gasket issue, with that much leakage, there's NO doubt you'd "see" white smoke coming from the exhaust - even at the very least - a rough running engine! But this little thing is running like a champ and hums beautifully at idle!

I'm literally baffled by this?! Any thoughts or ideas, would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by bluemax61; 07-07-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd bet that the thermostat housing is leaking. It is a common failure point.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
I'd bet that the thermostat housing is leaking. It is a common failure point.
Even then, wouldn't you "see" evidence of leakage somewhere?!

Where exactly is the thermostat housing located? If you can offer me a location point, I'll check it and let you know.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Or even a radiator issue....or a pinhole in a hose...radiator or heater..
Look around for residue...coolant usually leaves a crustly residue where it leaks...looks like dried road salt...

Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
As much antifreeze as I've put in the car since May, it seems like it would almost "have" to be larger than a pin hole?! Even if that were the case, by now, I should certainly "see" some kind of evidence on the driveway!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
A thermostat housing leak tends to get "blown" back....and not leave drips....
Look around the airbox (if you still have it, rather than a CAI)...look...smell...very common issue.
Also there is a oil cooler with a coolant loop....you can see it from above the pax side motor mount or the well...down low...be sure that is dry too.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:30 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
A thermostat housing leak tends to get "blown" back....and not leave drips....
Look around the airbox (if you still have it, rather than a CAI)...look...smell...very common issue.
Also there is a oil cooler with a coolant loop....you can see it from above the pax side motor mount or the well...down low...be sWonder if you should contact NCDMV and ask for a line item expense on these tag fees?ure that is dry too.
Being new to the Mini family, I'll assume the CAI is the opposite of a box that would hold an air filter. Mine has a mesh-like top, with a plastic housing. Is that considered a CAI?

The oil cooler I should be able to find. From your description, it sounds like it's close to the oil filter on the car. I assume the well, is the space in that localized area.

Sorry to be such a dumbares!