R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 To S or not to S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Ladybug
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what I would suggest you do:

When you go to the dealership narrow down however many different types of Minis you're willing to test drive. If they do not have one of a specific make don't make a decision just yet.

When you get into test cars, reset the average mpg calculator(ask the dealer) then drive off. Be sure to do a mix of both highway and city driving(focusing more on highway). Pretty much everyone here will tell you they get more or less mpg than the standard EPA figures(probably less). So don't bother trying to test for optimum fuel efficiency.

That's why during the test drive you should push the cars real hard, like a 'I'm late for work' scenario. Bring the car at the very least past 4500 rpm(the general sweetspot for all minis). After each test, evaluate your impressions of the cars and compare the recorded average mpg to compare with the other minis. Then compare the mpg data from the EPA with your experienced mpg and weigh it against driving performance and gas prices and whatever important factors.

That way you can see for YOURSELF the better choice for YOU.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by youvejustbeenminid
I hope I'm not threadjacking this conversation, but this is something I've been wondering a lot about, too. Does anyone here drive the base Cooper in a hilly/mountain area? My neck of Southern Cali. is pretty hilly, and my current car (a base PT Cruiser) has a rough time getting up hills. I blame the automatic tranny for the most part, but the horsepower/weight ratio is pretty close to that of the base Cooper. OTOH, it's all about the torque, right? Can anyone offer any insight as to how the base Cooper does in the hills?
I have an MCC, and it has no problem getting up the steepest San Francisco hills, including streets with stairs on the sidewalk. I have a manual and I shift down (sometimes all the way down to 1st on a very steep hill), but you'd also have to do that with an S. The fact is that neither the S nor the Cooper have good low end torque (but reported to be much improved for both models in the R56). Where the power of the S is a real advantage is in freeway passing, and long uphill freeway grades in the mountains.

I went with getting an MCC but could have gone with an MCSC. It wasn't a clear choice and if I had to choose again I would still agonize back and forth over which to get. I crave power in the form of low end torque, where it can make a difference for me in city driving. Unfortunately the MCSC doesn't offer extra low end grunt over the MCC, or else it would have been my clear choice. In fact, until the supercharger kicks in sufficiently at higher revs, the base engine actually feels more responsive to me. What finally tipped my decision was to be in the dealer lot surrounded by dozens of MINIs, and finding that I liked the look of the low Cooper hood more than the fat nose of the S. I decided on the MCC, and to mod for handling rather than power. I haven't driven the R56, but the reports of the turbo are very positive for low end torque, and I would likely choose the S for a future MINI.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:18 AM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
More power never hurts.
Use it when you need it.
At least it's there just in case.
The 6 spd helps alot, and the mpg on the S is still great.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:00 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I debated between the S and non S Convertible and chose the S. In retrospec it was the S without doubt. I get about 30 mpg on my commute . . . about 26 sport driving and about 27 on high speed long distance trips (for example, crossing utah and nevada on the way from New Mexico to California). The cost for the power is an amazing bargain!

That said, the 2009 will allow both remarkable economy and remarkable power. I'd try to wait if I were in your situation, especially if you keep cars a long time. Oh, if you get the S, get the LSD.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 AM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
I agree with you completely, but who could wait?

I wanted the Cabrio, as I am impatient, didnt want to wait till 2009 (OUCH)
So I bought and got it now to enjoy it now.
I could always trade in after a few years, but I don't see huge differences.
Plus I like the growl and feel of the Supercharger.

Man oh man... do I ever love my MINI and it's performance.
And to think I could still reduce(???) the supercharger pully and pull even more HP. Change an ECU too. $$$$ and zooooom!! Not really into that yet. Then again the upgrade bug has not bit me yet. I am happy the way it is.
I get in the 30's mpg and still have fun. I am satisfied.

Just replaced my Pirelli Euufori@ runflats with the Goodyear F1 All Season NON runflats... What a difference in ride quality, handling, response.
Motor On !

Steve

Old 11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Bozo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to S or not to S???

S!

I wish I did. Its the only thing I regret NOT doing.

-B

Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Tammy - I have yet another suggestion...

Since you're in Raleigh, come to one of the Tar Heel MINI club's monthly Raleigh meets - there you can see lots of different cars and talk to their owners face to face - some of us will probably even let you drive.

And I guarantee you'll get a better test drive in my car than in the one at the dealership. (a) because mine is broken in already and (b) because I'll tell you what you can REALLY do (which some motoring advisors won't, no disrespect to the ones who are my friends. )

We meet at 6:30PM the second Thursday of every month, in the outer parking lot in front of Target at Brier Creek (off 540 near the airport).

See you there!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
JustMeUC
1st Gear
deleted

Last edited by JustMeUC; 11-19-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
JustMeUC - the problem with Blimey's offer is that, if you check out his car and see what he has done to it and "what you can REALLY do" . . . well, you might as well go ahead and order the MCSc now 'cause I don't think after that you'll want anything less than an MCSc with a JCW intake, M7 understrut system, reduction pulley etc . . . and to hell with saving 50 cents/day in gas.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:16 AM
zinvestor
4th Gear
I have an 05 MCSC in Chicago's Western 'burbs. In local driving, mix of xway and surface I get about 24+ mpg. When I take extended road trips, all xway, steady speed, no neutral down hills etc, I get about 34 mpg. On road trips I mostly drive top up due to road noise at higher speeds. Around town, I am open as much as possible, if its 35+ and not precipitating, the top is down. The airflow with the car open causes reduction in mileage. That said, even with the SC engine as opposed to turbo, good mileage can be had in highway driving with as S. YMMV

Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Marylander
1st Gear
Can't go wrong either way. I have a MCSC but had a MC loner for 5 days. I like both, there's plenty of pep in the MC and was getting 6 mpg better than the MCSC. I'd say depends on the nature of your driving. Mostly back roads-settle for the MC, highway driving I'd make sure to get the MCS for extra passing power.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marylander
Can't go wrong either way. I have a MCSC but had a MC loner for 5 days. I like both, there's plenty of pep in the MC and was getting 6 mpg better than the MCSC. I'd say depends on the nature of your driving. Mostly back roads-settle for the MC, highway driving I'd make sure to get the MCS for extra passing power.

Good luck.
Given that it's a matter of opinion, I'd say just the opposite. The highway is for cruising, which the MC can do quite well. The back roads will call the turbo into use much more than an occasional pass on the freeway (which does not and should not require sudden bursts of energy).

Old 11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Dr. Pepper
4th Gear
Don't forget about the money involved here. $3-4000 on the sticker price, 3-5mpg and insurance costs. Both cars are a blast to drive.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
PHX ATC
3rd Gear
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Sorry, I got excited when somebody asked about to S or not to S!

S it baby!

Last edited by PHX ATC; 11-07-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: not paying attention
Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 AM
Marylander
1st Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
occasional pass on the freeway (which does not and should not require sudden bursts of energy).
yup, it really depends on your driving style. Mine requires sudden bursts of energy on the freeway and HP is very helpful when you are trying to go from 60-75 mph.

usually on the back roads I'm stuck going 40 mph in a long line of cars, not many chances to open it up.

guess it really does depend on your anticipated level of thrill. IMO, the brakes are a bit undersized for the power/potential of the S.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
JustMeUC - the problem with Blimey's offer is that, if you check out his car and see what he has done to it and "what you can REALLY do" . . . well, you might as well go ahead and order the MCSc now 'cause I don't think after that you'll want anything less than an MCSc with a JCW intake, M7 understrut system, reduction pulley etc . . . and to hell with saving 50 cents/day in gas.
Shhhh.... don't tell her... it's part of my cult indoctrination process... must buy the S... must buy the S...

Oh, that would NEVER happen...

Fuel economy? I don't need no stinkin fuel economy...

Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
All mini's are great but to me... I would have bought another car if I had to get a non-S. After driving several Coopers they are just way to slow.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
JustMeUC
1st Gear
deleted

Last edited by JustMeUC; 11-19-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by k_h_d
All mini's are great but to me... I would have bought another car if I had to get a non-S. After driving several Coopers they are just way to slow.
Not in the hands of someone who knows how to get all the horses moving in unison.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Not in the hands of someone who knows how to get all the horses moving in unison.
Its not that slow

Old 11-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Rezkalla
Neutral
I understand there's also a difference in the suspension. The MCS has a stiffer suspension and a rougher ride but you can feel the road better. The MC has a more forgiving suspension and a smoother ride but you can't feel the road better so you have less control when taking fast corners etc. I'm kind of torn, I like extra power but don't drive like a demon, I prefer better MPG's, and I like a smoother ride. When I drove the MCS I felt every bump in the road. Any thoughts on this?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like you said it all yourself. Better MPG, smoother ride etc.. Sure the "S" has about 40 mores horses or so, but in everyday driving you don't use them I have a non "S" car myself and had a loaner last week which was an "S" car and unless I really got on it couldn't tell it..

Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
jcoop36
2nd Gear
To S or Not to S

Originally Posted by Rezkalla
I understand there's also a difference in the suspension. The MCS has a stiffer suspension and a rougher ride but you can feel the road better. The MC has a more forgiving suspension and a smoother ride but you can't feel the road better so you have less control when taking fast corners etc. I'm kind of torn, I like extra power but don't drive like a demon, I prefer better MPG's, and I like a smoother ride. When I drove the MCS I felt every bump in the road. Any thoughts on this?
You have to go with your gut - you need to take some thorough test drives in both and feel the difference, and then weigh that "feel" with the tangibles you've expressed above, and make your decision. Whichever you choose will be right for you, and you really can't go wrong with either model.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Okay... But lets put that same person in an MCS... Theres a big difference.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:25 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by k_h_d
Okay... But lets put that same person in an MCS... Theres a big difference.
It's not as straight forward as you think.

I've got a 2003 Cooper with some suspension mods, light wheels, and super-sticky track tires.

I also have a completely stock 2007 MCS.

The MCS is much faster in a straight line.

The Cooper is much faster in a corner.

There's only one track I've had both cars on. There are lots of "excuses"... The Cooper is modded and running R-compounds. The MCS is stock and running runflats. I was pushing the Cooper to the limit and not running the MCS as hard. etc. etc...

The Cooper was faster around the track than the MCS.

Stock for stock, yes, an MCS will be faster than a Cooper. Modded vs modded, the MCS will be faster than the Cooper.

Well modded Cooper vs stock or poorly modded MCS - it's very close - with a possible edge to the Cooper. And, you can get the Cooper to that point by spending the price difference between the Cooper and the MCS.