R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI Shock Petition

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 01:15 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>>>Signed with pride. Save the soft ride for the CVT folks, In fact quit offering the cvt in the Cooper and bring the ONE to the US thats where the squishy shocks and CVT belong!<<
>>
>>Let's not dilute this important thread with senseless CVT-bashing, eh? This might be one of those threads that the eerily robotic "MINI Division" MCO member actually reads.

Yeah, CVT drivers are people too!

Old 05-15-2003, 01:24 PM
MandyinMD
3rd Gear
#98! A CVT owner and loving it! It's not your ordinary Automatic. You should try it some time.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:32 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear

ok, after reading other comments, here'smore:

I agree with some that theoretically, a suspension could be further improved and handling could be improved, but some tweaking a manufacturer decides to do. Some have suggested to wait and see how the changes will work out.

However (there is always a BUTT):
I am suspicious about the fact that this change in shock oil was released (by MINI) in response to JDP "quality" complaints about stiff ride, and that this change appears to be slated for North American cars only.
These tow point make me believe that this is quite likely something done to soften the ride without improving the handling, and that will likely deteriorate the handling. If it is going to be an improvement, why keep it from the rest of the world?

I also agree with some that have stated that those who are going to receive a car with the new specs after having test-driven the 'old' specs, should be made aware of this.

my 2c

Old 05-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Yfoiler
2nd Gear
# 86
I bought the Mini for it's handling and ride---for it's performance and fun---Not for it's cushy comfort. In fact I'm going the opposite of "comfy".
I'll soon be putting the KW or HR coilovers on. So I anticipate there be a few stock "hard" shocks available on E-Bay soon.

The "Y"

Old 05-15-2003, 02:26 PM
rob_lewis
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as an update, I left a message with the journalist who wrote the article originally. His voice mail said he would be out until Monday, but that he would be checking his voice mail on a regular basis.

I wanted to give him the opportunity to do a follow up article before I started taking this issue to some of the other automotive press.

I will update if I hear back from him.

-Rob
(Hoping now that MINI doesn't accidentally "pull" my order...)

Old 05-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Broke_Student
2nd Gear
#114 on the Petition

Leave it alone BMW

Old 05-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
I hope MINI leaves the suspension alone. I'm hoping in the near future I'll get a Cooper S and the suspension will be unaltered. How bad is the ride in the current cars? It can't be no worse than my Miata equipped with Bilstein shocks As people stated before, I'm betting the root of the harsh ride is in the run flat tires. Once I get my MINI I'm planning to wear out the tires as quickly as possible and replace them with conventional ones.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:09 PM
RonR
4th Gear
Greetings!

# 121

Ron

Old 05-15-2003, 03:31 PM
SpyCar
2nd Gear
It is hard to imagine how MINIUSA can be so out of touch with the people who drive (and love) their automobiles.

Old 05-15-2003, 04:52 PM
goobot
Neutral
I signed too (forget the number though).

I have a May build on order, and I'm not happy. I read MINI's post that the heavier oil will magically create a softer rid AND maintain the handling characteristics. I hate to be distrusting, but somehow the words "yeah right" come to mind.

As Click and Clack would say... BOOOOOOOOOOOGUS!!!

Hope the petition does some good...

Old 05-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Scoutd
3rd Gear
This brillant marketing ploy really blows. I find a car after 2 yrs of searching that
has the beginning of a great auto x car that I am ready to settle upon and they go and screw it up. :evil:

Old 05-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
i signed im number 141 or something.. dont forget to also call 1800 ask mini and file a complaint!

Old 05-15-2003, 07:02 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
>>Signed with pride. Save the soft ride for the CVT folks, In fact quit offering the cvt in the Cooper and bring the ONE to the US thats where the squishy shocks and CVT belong!

Rataha,

You should keep ignorance to yourself. We already had a thread wiped out because of your totally unknowledgable comments about the CVT, I was #21 on the petition and I have the CVT with the sport suspension. To show you the flexibilty and power of a MINI with the CVT, I challenge you to take on an MC with CVT, it will kick your butt. Stop bashing CVTs you know nothing about them. Until you do shut up......

I also set this to you in a PM.

MINI-Rolls

Old 05-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Even VW owners are upset about the change: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=846385

Old 05-16-2003, 05:08 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I do find all this venting against MINI/MINIUSA to be a little much considering no one has driven the new suspension head-to-head and reported it lacking. It's all just pure conjecture at this point. Time will tell, but I do believe MINI deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Old 05-16-2003, 05:28 PM
SpyCar
2nd Gear
Dave,
Wouldn't you agree a better product roll out would have insured that some well respected members of the automotive community DID get a chance to drive the car before it was rather clumsily "announced". That way the new shocks could have been evaluated and reviewed.

Furthermore, shouldn't people with cars on order have had some informed choice as to what they were going to receive? I'm sorry to see MINI/MINIUSA taking a bashing, but they sort of muffed this one, don't you think?

Old 05-16-2003, 05:31 PM
C4
Banned
>>I do find all this venting against MINI/MINIUSA to be a little much considering no one has driven the new suspension head-to-head and reported it lacking. It's all just pure conjecture at this point. Time will tell, but I do believe MINI deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point.

I tend to agree with you Dave.

Old 05-16-2003, 05:35 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Oh, I would certainly agree that the distribution of information concerning this change by MINI has significant room for improvement. However, without actual testing of the new suspension, I'm willing to take the wait and see approach. Mind you that's easier since I don't have a car on order. I do appreciate how frustrating that would be.

Old 05-16-2003, 05:41 PM
wrbrady
1st Gear
The following is a copy of a e mail from Mini, i advised them the problem with handling was more one from the Run Flats.

FYI
Date: Fri May 16, 2003 4:41:31 PM US/Eastern
To: wrbrady@earthlink.net
Subject: RE:SHOCKS [#411385]

Thanks for your recent e-mail regarding the suspension change we recently implemented on the MINI.

First, please understand that we do value feedback from our customers. Also, our goal is to continually improve the MINI throughout its life cycle so it continues to deliver a unique motoring experience.

Starting with May 01, 2003 production, we initiated a change in the calibration of the struts and shock absorbers on all MINI models. The purpose of this change was to help alleviate any "jitteriness" when traveling over rough road surfaces. Great care was taken not to compromise the impeccable handling characteristics of the MINI, while providing a more suitable ride under "less than ideal" conditions. We feel confident this goal has been accomplished and that our valued customers will be pleased with the result.

LET’S MOTOR.
Amanda Cordell
MINI Division
Customer Relations
1-866-ASK-MINI