R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Any trunk release other than key and from outside???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 01:55 PM
No MCS Yet
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any trunk release other than key and from outside???

I had a problem the other day which made me think that if there's no other way to get into the trunk, then MINI might have screwed up.

Here's the story: I was driving down Las Olas Blvd last night when all of a sudden my car just died. I don't mean it turned off, it died completely to where the hazards wouldn't even turn on. I had no clue what it was. I had been rear ended two weeks ago and I just got the car fixed. I also had them install a Borla Exhaust, so I thought it might have been the exhaust installation. I wanted to get to the battery, but guess what, since the car was dead, I couldn't even open the trunk. Unless there's a latch on the inside, then there is no hope. No electronics where working.

So I had to climb in from the front, lift open the shelf in the back, and pull down the back seats. Then while sitting in the back seat, I had to open up the floor to check on the battery. I moved the ground wire a little bit, and all the lights came back on. So this must mean that the ground wire was loose, but it didn't seem that loose. I tried to tighten it up today, but I didn't have that much luck, just a little more secure.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Old 08-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Minirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by No MCS Yet
I had a problem the other day which made me think that if there's no other way to get into the trunk, then MINI might have screwed up.

Here's the story: I was driving down Las Olas Blvd last night when all of a sudden my car just died. I don't mean it turned off, it died completely to where the hazards wouldn't even turn on. I had no clue what it was. I had been rear ended two weeks ago and I just got the car fixed. I also had them install a Borla Exhaust, so I thought it might have been the exhaust installation. I wanted to get to the battery, but guess what, since the car was dead, I couldn't even open the trunk. Unless there's a latch on the inside, then there is no hope. No electronics where working.

So I had to climb in from the front, lift open the shelf in the back, and pull down the back seats. Then while sitting in the back seat, I had to open up the floor to check on the battery. I moved the ground wire a little bit, and all the lights came back on. So this must mean that the ground wire was loose, but it didn't seem that loose. I tried to tighten it up today, but I didn't have that much luck, just a little more secure.

Any ideas or thoughts?
There is a cable under the back seat manual release for the boot. Depending on year it is on the pass side or middle.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is an emergency release under the back seat. It's in the owners manual.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:21 PM
lotsie
Banned
If a battery cable is a little bit loose, it's to loose, period.
Use the proper size wrench on it and all should be fine.

Mark

Old 08-20-2006, 06:09 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
My 2003 doesn't have the release cable under the rear seats...

The only time my trunk was not working, I had important papers I needed in the trunk, so I had to squeeze my arm between the rear seat and the cover, and grab one of the release handles to get my papers back...

Old 08-20-2006, 08:11 PM
No MCS Yet
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.