R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Driving impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 07:56 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I've owned my 2k3 MCS for three weeks now and have about 2K miles on it. Prior to this car I drove a 2k2 Neon S for 12K miles over 8 months. The Neon went to my wife after we used her Geo Metro as a trade-in.

Just happened to get to drive the Neon last night for the first time in three weeks. Wow. What a difference.

First thing I felt was how light the clutch pedal felt. There was no resistance. My MCS's is stiff. I can feel it when I press it!

Second thing I felt was the shifting of the transmission. When I drove the car I thought the shifting was a little tight. Requiring a little bit of force to get it notched into gear. Now the gear shift floats into gear. The MCS's gearshift is tight and heavy.

Third thing I felt was the accelleration from a standstill. The neon was very peppy off the line. The MCS is sluggish.

Fourth thing I heard. The engine even though both engines are built by Chrysler and both are 4 bangers, the sound was amazingly different. Thumbs up to the MCS!

Fifth thing I felt was how light the Neon felt when driving down the road. It felt like I was floating. This became more pronounced when I turned a corner as body roll was very apparent and really kicked home the floating feeling. The MCS is solid and heavy feeling.

Sixth thing I felt was how easy it was to turn the steering wheel. People say the MINI line has quick steering and you really need to watch where you're going at all times, however with the Neon, this is even more so the situation. A tiny movement of the wheel quickly initiates a turn. Not quite so with the MCS, much more difficult to turn the wheel and more road feedback in the steering column.

Seventh thing I noticed was braking. The Neon's nose went straight for the pavement when I hit the brakes. The MCS is flat when I hit the brakes.

Eight thing I noticed was how cold the AC was in the Neon. The MCS's AC can be described as "luke warm".

I really enjoyed driving the Neon for those initial 12k miles. Now I really enjoy my daily commute!

So there you have it. "Go Cart" vs. "Indescribable"

p.s. I might need to have a drag race with my wife. That Neon is quick! I just want to see how it compares to the MCS.

Old 03-20-2003, 08:39 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I do not drive my MINI I drive a Jeep Cherokee or a Ford Bronco......

Talk about difference......I will take the MII any day..........

I was driving my Cherokee on a road near my home that has lots of turns and I tried to drive it like the MINI....big mistake....had to lock up the brakes on corner that the MINI took at 50mph, I thought I was going to flip the Ckerokee.......

My Bronco has a 4" suspension lift, forget corners I just about have to stop....

The MINI is great........I just love pushing it...should pass the break-in period this weekend.....

Old 03-20-2003, 09:24 AM
red03miniS
Banned
i have had honda hatchbacks all my life...so i knew what a hatchback handles like

but then i bought my daily driver a lexus sc300
the car is fantastic, luxurious, sporty, and fun to drive

but then i got the mini

Old 03-20-2003, 08:38 PM
mellymel96
2nd Gear
I think the clutch in my MCS is the easiest clutch I've ever driven!!!