R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Ouch - Speeding Ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch - Speeding Ticket!

My first in 20 years. I got it in the EXACT spot in which the moron crashed his Enzo Ferrari on PCH near Malibu a few months back. I was flowing with traffic but was "clocked going 68 in a 45." I don't think I was going this fast - maybe 60 but not 68. They recently lowered the speed limit in the area because of the crash, which is pretty silly in my opinion. He was going 160! Anybody have an idea of how much this is going to cost?

Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
boo~ sorry to hear.

guess that part of PCH is a 'forbidden' area for car guys now since an
Enzo died a terrible death.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
nethack
3rd Gear
I just got a ticket for not, fully, stopping to make a right-on-red: $174 w/traffic school Your speeding ticket will prolly be more... Sorry to hear about your troubles.

And just in case.... IB4TL

Old 05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
That really really stinks. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm thinking you are going to get $300+ because I think anything over excess of 20mph is considered reckless endangerment.

((oh... and erm... along with nethack, just in case... IB4TL!!))

Old 05-30-2006, 11:46 AM
MarcusCT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit
That really really stinks. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm thinking you are going to get $300+ because I think anything over excess of 20mph is considered reckless endangerment.
I'd definately fight it, especially if there were a bunch of other cars around.

A lot of States treat 15 over as Reckless Endangerment and it can cause you to lose your license.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 PM
chows4us
6th Gear

((oh... and erm... along with nethack, just in case... IB4TL!!))
Not in CA and there should be no lock ... this is not reckless driving. See http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html In CA it appears that anything over 100 mph is reckless driving with the hefty penalities that implies.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:24 PM
cydewaze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
They recently lowered the speed limit in the area because of the crash, which is pretty silly in my opinion. He was going 160!
That is what we call opportunism. Using an event like that as an excuse to make money.

If the guy ignored the old speed limit, he would have ignored the new one. Now they're punishing everyone else for his mistake.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:24 PM
MadHatter
5th Gear
My first in 20 years. I got it in the EXACT spot in which the moron crashed his Enzo Ferrari on PCH near Malibu a few months back. I was flowing with traffic but was "clocked going 68 in a 45." I don't think I was going this fast - maybe 60 but not 68. They recently lowered the speed limit in the area because of the crash, which is pretty silly in my opinion. He was going 160! Anybody have an idea of how much this is going to cost?
Hi Rick .... sorry to hear about this... for the record however it was 199 mph! There was a video in the car that the police had seen... check out the www.wreckedexotics.com site the link is on the right side half way down above the 'fold'.

- Charlie

Old 05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
You might be lucky that it is not 25mph over. I know that some states make a significant fine increase at 25mph over.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
guess that part of PCH breeds morons!

I keed I keed

Old 05-30-2006, 01:09 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Not in CA and there should be no lock ... this is not reckless driving. See http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html In CA it appears that anything over 100 mph is reckless driving with the hefty penalities that implies.
Thanks for the correction. I was going off of WI laws which I'm pretty sure is 20-25 over the posted speed limit.

(and I put the IB4TL in there... juuuuuuuuuust in case.)

Old 05-30-2006, 01:11 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
... I was going off of WI laws which I'm pretty sure is 20-25 over the posted speed limit.
YUP! See the reference. 25 or over in WI and they got you

Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 PM
DialM
Banned
I don't think they recently lowered the limit: all of PCH through Malibu is 45 mph max. In California, you are not traffic school eligilble if you exceed the speed limit by more than 25 mph. 68 in a 45 is traffic school eligible, and Malibu allows "take home" courses (internet courses). Whatever your fine, the traffic school will cost you around $25 for an on-line course, plus a court fee of around $20-35. My guess on the fine is around $200.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
chipgrafx
2nd Gear
This is correct. I know a San Diego cop and he said it doesn't matter if you are going 55 in a 45 or 95 in a 45, they are treated the same (based on the circumstances). If you are street racing then it's a different story. Good luck and try for traffic school (first ticket in 20 years so traffic school should be no problem).

Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
CooperGear
Banned
He WAS speeding. The other cars on the road don't matter. You can't say to the cop, "the red car was going faster than me..." Just try to fight it with that line. Then you will have to pay the fine and miss a day of work.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:41 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
i was so close to getting arrested a couple of weekd ago for wreckless driving. i was so lucky that the park ranger was nice and let me go with a non-traffic violation. fine=186 dollars in wisconsin. it would have been 350 if i got arrested, but i was a "nice, honorable gentleman", so the nice officer let me go home.

speeding is not too bug of a deal, i wouldnt expect antyhign bigger than 80 bucks with court and supervision, if you can get it.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 PM
muggy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by blockh102
He WAS speeding. The other cars on the road don't matter. You can't say to the cop, "the red car was going faster than me..." Just try to fight it with that line. Then you will have to pay the fine and miss a day of work.
The other cars on the road do matter, but not to this same end. One of the best ways to fight a ticket is to check the speed survey of the street (I think they do it by those little line things on the road). Speed surveys are free to obtain, and must be updated every so often (I believe it's 2 years). Often these speed surveys are out of date, or the average speed on that street exceeds the posted speed limit. The posted speed limit should be the average of the speed survey rounded UP to the nearest 5 mph, and if it is not or the speed survey has not been conducted in the appropriate amount of time, you can contest the speed limit in court.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
speeding is not too bug of a deal, i wouldnt expect antyhign bigger than 80 bucks with court and supervision, if you can get it.
Yeah, just don't leave IL, many other states start their speeding fines 5 over $125, doubled if in a construction zone.

I know many don't want to hear this but the best way to avoid the ticket is just simply don't speed, paid off for me this morning, the SUV behind me got nabbed after closing a huge gap and begining to tail gate (and it was a school zone).

(And I'll drop an I4BTL, I think this is on the line not bordering it but hasn't quite crossed it yet.)

Old 05-30-2006, 03:27 PM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
I don't know about the law in CA, but here in the KC area, which straddles the state line of KS and MO, it's fairly easy to get out of a ticket.

In MO, you have to pay an attorney to represent you, but they can go to court and get your ticket reduced to a non-moving violation, i.e., faulty equipment, burned out lamp, etc...

In KS, it's even easier...you can actually go to court on the day of your 'trial' and they ask everyone in the room 'who wants to plead down?'! If you do, you pay court costs and double your violation fine. So if your fine is $75, you'd pay $150, plus about $30 or so in court costs and walk out the door with a non-moving violation!

Hard to believe? Seems like such a scam, but I'm glad the *clears throat* 'service' is available!

Although I've only had to use it a couple of times (knock on wood), this is how it was. It is definitely cheaper in the long run since your insurance won't go up. And it is really nice for situations like this, where you were the unlucky one pulled out of dozens of people going the same speed.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KC MCS
In KS, it's even easier...you can actually go to court on the day of your 'trial' and they ask everyone in the room 'who wants to plead down?'! If you do, you pay court costs and double your violation fine. So if your fine is $75, you'd pay $150, plus about $30 or so in court costs and walk out the door with a non-moving violation!
I've had that happen and was quite happy. Double the fine, NO points, NO insurance going up ... happy to pay the money.

Another time, and this is a bit funny, it was "secretary day". For the 1 PM session, the DA never showed up on time (still out to lunch). The judge was FURIOUS. He immediately said everyone here, all charges dropped EXCEPT for the DUI/DWIs!

Old 05-30-2006, 03:32 PM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
Another time, and this is a bit funny, it was "secretary day". For the 1 PM session, the DA never showed up on time (still out to lunch). The judge was FURIOUS. He immediately said everyone here, all charges dropped EXCEPT for the DUI/DWIs!

You should have made a B-line to Vegas with that kinda luck!

Old 05-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I was speeding so I am not going to try to fight it. The car in front of me, the car on the side of me, and the SUV riding my *** were going the same speed. I was just the person the cop decided to pick because I was driving a red clown car

Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
I was speeding so I am not going to try to fight it. The car in front of me, the car on the side of me, and the SUV riding my *** were going the same speed. I was just the person the cop decided to pick because I was driving a red clown car
Can you not take defensive driving in California to drop the ticket all together? I was clocked goin 23 over in Texas in October, and took defensive driving, and ended up paying like $115 all together, and the ticket was off my record. I definitely learned my lesson though - I don't speed anymore.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:10 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Pay it, go to traffic school (want to go with me next week?) and get it off your record.

Earl

Old 05-30-2006, 04:31 PM
DialM
Banned
Originally Posted by muggy
The other cars on the road do matter, but not to this same end. One of the best ways to fight a ticket is to check the speed survey of the street (I think they do it by those little line things on the road). Speed surveys are free to obtain, and must be updated every so often (I believe it's 2 years). Often these speed surveys are out of date, or the average speed on that street exceeds the posted speed limit. The posted speed limit should be the average of the speed survey rounded UP to the nearest 5 mph, and if it is not or the speed survey has not been conducted in the appropriate amount of time, you can contest the speed limit in court.
PCH through Malibu is speed survey exempt, due to the high incidence of accidents. Most areas that have "artificially" low speed limits, like wide open PCH, have them because of accident history, not speed traps.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Ouch - Speeding Ticket!