R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Car seat for my enormous infant

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:03 PM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car seat for my enormous infant

My boy turned 4 months old today. Hurray for him! He's also closing in on 20 lbs very quickly, which means my Peg Perego seat is about to be obsolesced.

Anyone know of a convertible car seat that can accomodate a child up to 30 lbs (rear-facing) and fit in the back of a MINI?

My search hasn't come up with any results, principally because my kid is growing so freakin' fast.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2006, 08:13 PM
DCjeff
1st Gear
Britax

We currently use a Britax Galaxy with LATCH forward facing. Its good for up to 40 lbs. Previously we used Britax Roundabout rear facing. The Roundabout and Galaxy are pretty similar, but our Roundabout didn't have LATCH so we put in in our non-LATCH equiped Camry. Both are convertible seats and both have tethers that can be used both forward and rear facing in the MINI.

Whether you can use these in rear facing mode depends on the space requirement for any front seat passengers. The seat needs to be pretty far forward.

BTW, I just realized you were worried about rear-facing weight. The Britax convertibles handle up to 33 lbs. rear-facing.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 AM
DivMini
2nd Gear
Britax too!

We use a Britax Roundabout and love it. My wife researched car seats thoroughly and the moms she talked to on the various parent forums she frequents gave the Roundabout a .

As I'm usually the person responsible for installations, I definitely like how it's designed. I've had no problem switching it between our SUV and the Mini or installing it on planes or rental cars. We've traveled extensively with our 23 month old son and take the Britax with us where ever we go. When our son was small enough to ride on our lap I put the Roundabout in cordura bag and checked it as luggage. We had no issues whatsoever and quickly installed the seat in our rental cars here in the States, the UK and Mexico.

Now that we're buying a seat for our son on flights we carry the Roundabout on board the flights and attach the Roundabout to the airplane seat. We've developed a pretty good routine so we don't hold up other boarding passengers when we travel. I guess you might say we're Britax Roundabout powerusers.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:00 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
I'd read a lot on the Roundabout, but was unaware that it would fit in the MINI rear-facing. Thanks, guys!