R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINISQL is 4!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
MINISQL
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINISQL is 4!

Doesn't seem like that long ago, but MINISQL is now four years old! In celebration I am reposting one of my first MINIMoments.
"It is raining, but it is not your April Showers bring May flowers or even Singing in the Rain type of rain. No, a warm humid air mass from the Gulf of Mexico has converged with a cool air mass from the Atlantic and created a 60,000 foot high monster thunderstorm over central Florida, and Minisql and I are under it. I am worried, there are 3-4 inches of water on the road already and the radio says there is hail. I'm desperately looking for a place to take shelter, but the bank drive throughs and gas stations are full. Then I spot a Publix Supermarket in the next shopping center. I pull into the lot and head for the arcade at the front of the store. I wedge Minisql between the coin operated space shuttle and the shopping carts. It doesn't look good, the shoppers huddled at the entrance are glowering at this intrusion into their space. Still wearing my black MINI baseball cap I hop out and open the boot. I rummage under my boot box and pull out a sign I had palmed at a car show some months earlier and put it on the windshield. "THE NEW MINI, now available at DOWNTOWN MINI". I put on my best s. eating grin and stand by the drivers door. A little kid pulls on his mothers arm and says "there's a new Mini!" she looks and smiles, I smile back. A couple of the men in the crowd turn their backs on the carnage the hail is doing in the parking lot and ask me about gas mileage. I tell them it's more of a sports car than an economy car, but that it gets around 26 mpg. Some of the soccer moms notice Minisqls taught body, brutish face, and the bulge the hood scoop makes and give him the look they'd give Mel Gibson or Russel Crowe. The store manager is passing out cookies from a tray. He looks my way and smiles, I smile back. The lightning is flashing like papparazzi cameras, bracketing the applause of the rain and the drum roll of the thunder. Then just as suddenly as it came, the rain is gone and the sun is shining. The crowd, like zombies, heads for the parking lot to see the damage done by the hail. I slip away like a thief in the night. I want to yell Hi Yo Silver! but, I am Electric Blue."
Hope you all have as much fun with yours as I have with mine!

Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Great story!

Rawhyde

Old 05-12-2006, 07:41 AM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a great story! Thanks for sharing!!!