R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Heater noise above the dash very loud - is this a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:32 AM
lemnpi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater noise above the dash very loud - is this a problem?

I have a 2005 MC with a manual heating/cooling system. Now that the temperature has been in the single digits I have been using my heater. If I direct the air flow towards the floor only, there is more noise at the windshield base then when the system is on defrost. Is this normal? This happens all the time, even after I have driven for 1/2 hour and the car is warmed up. The noise is very loud, and I can feel some air coming out above the dash. My feet get cold and I would prefer all of the air to be directed to the footwell, plus it is very loud. I have tried fiddling with the ****, placing it between settings, but the roar continues unless I set it to something other than my feet. Is my air system defective?

Old 12-18-2005, 07:39 AM
mr_edly
3rd Gear
I don't think there's anything wrong with your car, other than this design flaw. They all work like this, I believe.

I've got the same car, and made a similar complaint to the dealer about a year ago.
Dealer said they're designed that way to keep the windshield from fogging/icing in the winter, and it's working normally.

Then, I found a thread with others who have the same problem (on NAM or MIN2 -- can't recall).
They, like you and me, prefer to choose where air blows, and don't appreciate Mini's unilateral choice to direct air on the windscreen when the control points only at your feet.

My feet are still cold when there's way to much heat in the top 1/2 of the passenger compartment. I just crack a window or the sunroof to pull the heat out, while continuing to dump heat onto my feet full blast.

-Ed

Originally Posted by lemnpi
If I direct the air flow towards the floor only, there is more noise at the windshield base then when the system is on defrost. Is this normal? This happens all the time, even after I have driven for 1/2 hour and the car is warmed up. The noise is very loud, and I can feel some air coming out above the dash. My feet get cold and I would prefer all of the air to be directed to the footwell, plus it is very loud. I have tried fiddling with the ****, placing it between settings, but the roar continues unless I set it to something other than my feet. Is my air system defective?

Old 12-19-2005, 10:11 AM
lemnpi
1st Gear
OK. I guess I'll learn to live with it. And thank you for taking the time to reply to a "newbie" question. I really appreciate it. Happy holidays!