R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI Gremlins?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:50 AM
gadgeTT
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
MINI Gremlins?

I was hoping that my MINI would finally free me of the many electrical gremlins that I endured during four years with an Audi TT and its many electrical gremlins; open the door, close the door and the windows roll all the way DOWN instead of up and then have to do a car reboot to fix, etc.

In the first few weeks of ownership with my new '06 MCS, I've noticed a few times that my automatic headlights would come on during full daylight and stay on, even through a car reboot cycle. The next day, they'd be fine again.

Anyone else having this or other similar issues? I just hope this isn't systemic or representative of more to come...

Old 10-21-2005, 08:11 AM
anteken
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of luck. European cars aren't exactly known for their perfect electronics (see Mercedes recalls and its drop in JC Powers, ditto BMW).

Luckily, the cars from "across the pond" make up for it with quirkiness, fun, and the exte nded warrenty business.

Enjoy the car...look at it this way, you could be driving a Honda or maybe a Toyota...no problems, no excitement, no fun.

Cheers

Old 10-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike seems to have a Gremlin in his at this point too. Just haven't had time to take it to the dealer.

4 times now - at various places - after getting out and locking everything up, he has come back to the car to find the sunroof open and all the windows down.....yikes!!

Donna

Old 10-21-2005, 09:20 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the auto-headlight function on my M3 sucks. They seemingly come on during bright conditions for no reason, and are not quick to shut off. On the other extreme, in slowly darkening conditions like at dusk, they are slow to come on. I pretty much just use the manual switch, and opted out of this "feature" on my MINI.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:44 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
All I could do was laugh about this. I traded a TT on my MINI because of crappy electronics, and crappy service from AudiUSA. I had a BMW before the Audi with not a minutes problem ever. If the MINI is built as well I won't have any with this one. Audi and VW have really gone down the tubes.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:57 AM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
Hey Donna/Mike,
Do you have the "auto open" feature programmed on your key remote? My MA didn't have my remote programmed for that feature exactly for that reason. "Sometimes when in your pocket or purse the button could be pressed, and the sunroof and windows open without you knowing cause your walking away" Hope it dosen't happen too often.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:09 AM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
I'm having the same automatic headlight trouble on my 05. They'll come on in full sunlight, I drive 30 miles to work with the sun shining on the sensor and they never go off. My Chevy truck had the automatic lights and they were perfect, came on just when you'd want them and went off when they should.

Old 10-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenfish
Hey Donna/Mike,
Do you have the "auto open" feature programmed on your key remote? My MA didn't have my remote programmed for that feature exactly for that reason. "Sometimes when in your pocket or purse the button could be pressed, and the sunroof and windows open without you knowing cause your walking away" Hope it dosen't happen too often.
Yep - we sure do...but........it happened twice with the keys sitting on the kitchen counter..... which tends to make us believe that it's the little Gremlin somewhere...

Donna