R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI S vs. 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 12:38 PM
cborkgren
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting new problem is presenting itself for MINI. The new 350Z will be
released next month at a $27,000 to $35,000 price point. By all accounts, the 350Z
is an amazing car - powerful with incredible handling. Also, Nissan is doing this product
release in an honest and consumer friendly manner, as opposed to MINI/BMW. Production is high
and there will be no problem acquiring the car for under MSRP. Given this, the gap in price of the
below MSRP 350Z and the WAY above MSRP Mini S will be relatively small. By all accounts
the MINI, while a fun and well-made car, is no competition for the 350Z. They are simply different
animals. Will the introduction of the new Z car, which also has a storied history and many loyal
fans, be the vehicle which shows BMW/MINI the folly of their ways in introducing the MINI
in a manner that invites dealer chicanery, buyers remorse, and public mistrust?

I love the MINI, but I hope NIssan sales seriously eat into BMW's bottom line and teach them a lesson
they sorely need.

Old 07-10-2002, 01:22 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
You'll never teach BMW a leeson, frankly, they don't need one... If you can sell over 1,000,000 NEW cars in the U.S. in one year like BMW did last year, you've earned the right to be cocky.. By the way, I think the 350 looks bad.

Old 07-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Wanted to add a bit to this as well......
I read a review on the 350Z today.... It was really give or take as to whether they liked it or not. They said the styling grows on you. The engine is a little less than what they had hoped for. Also the car weighs in at over 3500 lbs. I think power to weight was around 1:11.9 or something of that nature. Price wise.... Yeah it starts at 26k but it goes up to 35k!
Mango to Mango your looking at a 19K and 26K car here. 7 thousand dallors is allot of room to play.
Also, I have to agree... these are two totally different animals. I still want my MINI.
SW

Old 07-10-2002, 02:01 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
Apples & Oranges. There are a number of cars that will beat the MINI in a straight line. There are tons of cars that are cheaper. The reason dealers can get away with charging premiums is that people fall in love with the MINI. It's not really and either/or proposition. There are plenty of dealers who sell MINI at MSRP, and word is getting out, thanks to forums like Minicooperonline. I plan to test drive the 350Z, I'm curious about it. But it won't be replacing my MINI in my driveway or in my heart.

Old 07-10-2002, 03:14 PM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Ya, the new 350Z is cool, but 27000 for a basic base is still quite a few more k then a basic base cooper s, and a HELL of a lot more then a standard cooper. So what's your point? Buy whatever freakin car you want....

Rocketboy_X

(Ever notice that flame wars just never work over here? Maybe MINI owners don't feel the need to defensive?)

Old 07-10-2002, 03:17 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
I like my car.

Old 07-10-2002, 04:55 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
>>Rocketboy_X
>>
>>(Ever notice that flame wars just never work over here? Maybe MINI owners don't feel the need to defensive?)
>>

I think the fact is that we MINI owners don't want every idiot out there to be driving a MINI. They should only be driven by the people that understand what it's all about. Let the rest of the world have it's Kia's and Pontiacs.

Old 07-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
AMEN

Old 07-11-2002, 12:23 PM
DomTom
1st Gear
Just wondering, have the official HP numbers come out yet for the 350 Z? The car could have 1000 HP and would still never match the driving pleasure of a 240 Z, a Cooper "S", a 944, or any other "sports" car. 3500 lbs? yikes!!! When the term sports car was first coined lower weight took precedance over high HP numbers.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:38 PM
katnkevin
2nd Gear
>>Just wondering, have the official HP numbers come out yet for the 350 Z? The car could have 1000 HP and would still never match the driving pleasure of a 240 Z, a Cooper "S", a 944, or any other "sports" car. 3500 lbs? yikes!!! When the term sports car was first coined lower weight took precedance over high HP numbers.

--If I recall correctly the new 350 is suppose to have around 300hp, give or take, as a previous owner of a 240Z, the original Mini and the current owner of a vintage corvette and a 2002 Cooper S, they are completly different and equally fun to drive. I must differ with your comment to weight, although my corvette is much heavier than some of the smaller "sports cars" I've owned, the balance and power to weight-ratio along with the rush of the open air more than compensate for that lack of "small car" quirkiness found in a typical MG or Fiat. Besides, will anyone disagree that the Shelby Cobra is not a full-blown sportscar around a fire-breathing hotrod of an engine? Bottom line, the New Mini Cooper S rocks and I wounldn't trade it for anything.

Old 07-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
287 horsepower and 274 lb-ft of torque

and weight at 3247 lbs.

Just wanted to post the exact figures.

Not bad but I want my MINI!
SW

Old 07-11-2002, 01:48 PM
RickB
1st Gear
I don't see the 350Z as competition for the MINI. The new Z is horrendously overweight, but then all new cars are. The Z is probably going to draw customers from Porsche and BMW; maybe a Mustang or two will go unsold, as well.
The Cooper S was announced at 2469lbs., then grew to 2513, and it's now listed at 2678. As disappointing as that is, the S is still lighter than all but two or three cars sold in the U.S.
I'm also a fan of the light-weight-is-good school of high performance. I'd much rather have a Lotus Elise than a Corvette. As for the Shelby Cobra, I'd be surprised if it weighed as much as a new Cooper S.

Old 07-11-2002, 02:28 PM
DomTom
1st Gear
I would expect most people in this forum would agree.

Old 07-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
I would only buy the Zcar if I had a mullet.... and wore ristbands.

Old 07-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
" I would only buy the Zcar if I had a mullet.... and wore ristbands."
Be nice.....

Old 07-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Lazcando
1st Gear
While I am a Mini man, I love the Mini. I totally agree with what your saying. They are taking everyone for a ride. $2500 for a CD changer and a key chain. That is extortion.

>>An interesting new problem is presenting itself for MINI. The new 350Z will be
>>released next month at a $27,000 to $35,000 price point. By all accounts, the 350Z
>>is an amazing car - powerful with incredible handling. Also, Nissan is doing this product
>>release in an honest and consumer friendly manner, as opposed to MINI/BMW. Production is high
>>and there will be no problem acquiring the car for under MSRP. Given this, the gap in price of the
>>below MSRP 350Z and the WAY above MSRP Mini S will be relatively small. By all accounts
>>the MINI, while a fun and well-made car, is no competition for the 350Z. They are simply different
>>animals. Will the introduction of the new Z car, which also has a storied history and many loyal
>>fans, be the vehicle which shows BMW/MINI the folly of their ways in introducing the MINI
>>in a manner that invites dealer chicanery, buyers remorse, and public mistrust?
>>
>>I love the MINI, but I hope NIssan sales seriously eat into BMW's bottom line and teach them a lesson
>>they sorely need.

Old 07-12-2002, 08:12 AM
Chrystee
1st Gear
>>The Z is probably going to draw customers from Porsche and BMW; maybe a Mustang or two will go unsold, as well.

Seriously doubt they will pull away Porsche lovers.. German lover = japanese lover?? I dont care how much HP, I think not.

I still want the MINI.

Old 07-12-2002, 08:19 AM
cs5887
2nd Gear
Unfortunately, the 350Z is rear wheel drive. While the MINI S is front wheel drive. It's not worthy of the weather conditions in the Northeast.
:???:

Old 07-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
>>>>Rocketboy_X
>>>>
>>>>(Ever notice that flame wars just never work over here? Maybe MINI owners don't feel the need to defensive?)
>>>>
>>
>>I think the fact is that we MINI owners don't want every idiot out there to be driving a MINI. They should only be driven by the people that understand what it's all about. Let the rest of the world have it's Kia's and Pontiacs.

Hey I have a Pontiac

It is a very good car even if it is a giant boat of a Bonneville. How many 80's era American cars that seat 6, weigh over 3500 lbs andhave a 3.8 liter V6 get nearly 35 mpg on the highway?

Old 07-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Mikey8629
1st Gear
The Z is a cool car, doubtlessly. Regardless of its being overweight, and produced by an econo company (arguably), it is a damn cool car. However, when I saw the MINI, I fell in love. I just can't say that for the Z. That's all I need to know to be secure in my choice of car. I like the MINI !

Old 07-12-2002, 11:20 PM
Solo
1st Gear
I will wait until I can drive the new Z, but MINI it is another history.
Z cars are for masses ( no ofense nobody ) you know Japanese fast and furious Nitro's
Minis are for drivers, get enough performance out of stock Mini driving it at high RPM's
it is very deleightfull, my two friends let me play with their Minis, or the "S" like mine, driving
it frecuently ( mostly daily ) at 200 / 215 KMS ( 120 / 129 MPH ) on the Mexican toll roads
over the International Border ( Ca / Baja ) only in a Mini I can play with all the 6 gears with
confidence, Z could be faster, I do not know it yet, but Nissan factory tranny's are not so good for
high speeds, they are noisy and the clutches slick very easy, but ...... the handling proportions
and benefits you can get out of a Mini, are made just for a real car drivers, not for street warriors.

Lesson on sales??
I do not think so, 350 Z's are going to be accesible to any one, for tire kickers, young kids, etc etc
Mini not, there it is the difference, and if you try to get the "S", ......................... Minis are for the
knowledge ones, for the car enthusiast.

Remember, Nissan (Datsun) begins assembly English cars over there in Asia, and today they just
do the same but with a new word. clone cars. ( English and Germans )

A car that have something to offer close to the Mini, it is the Renault Clio Sport, it is available in Europe
and in Mexico, 2.0 liters, 16v, 5 speed, 170 HP at 6250 rpm and 147 Lb Ft at 5400 rpm and 0-60 mph
in only 6.5 sec, But ...... the handling still lacks something.

An they still have something else, the very same Clio but with mid engine and V6, woouuu !!!

Old 07-13-2002, 12:54 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From the specs that I've seen about a couple months back from mags and dealership brouchere, it's apparently a naturally aspirated 3.5L V6 with 280hp and 253lb torque, and weighs in at approx. 3150lbs, and a 0-60 in 6secs flat. But both in the brouchere and mags, they say the power figures may differ when production starts, if it hasn't already?.
I think it looks pretty sleek IMO. But to compare it to the MINI is unfair. It's a totally different car. Being RWD, V6, 2 seater, weight, price, etc. The target competition doesn't come close to the MINI. But as the brouchere says, their ..."6sp close-ratio gearbox, with shift throws shorter than a BMW M Coupe or Porshe Boxster." That's as close as a reference to MINI as it gets, being that we're bascially a MINI-Bimmer. The price is way out there. Compares to my Lightning, which is pretty sad, which is in the range of $40-45K.(CDN). I'll still take one for a rip, but highly doubt I'll be able to justify paying what they're asking, OR trading my soon-to-come MINI Cooper'S'.
So in the meantime, let's concentrate on enjoying our MINI's, and if you feel that competitive edge, pick on something in OUR car classification, like the SVT Focus, Civic Si, Golf/GTi, etc, and don't worry about the rest. We're not going to be able to beat everything. Just sit back and enjoy. Off the soapbox now. Just my $0.02.

Old 07-13-2002, 03:23 PM
katnkevin
2nd Gear
Hey rickB, if you'd rather have an Elise than a Corvette, $33,500 vs $42,350, 120hp/124lbs vs 350hp/375lbs, 0-60 5.7sec vs 4.6sec.. top speed 125 vs 175, braking 60-0 145ft vs 125ft, I'd be curious to see if the extra 9k could get you in the same performance ballgame, I'm sure it could and then some but I'd guarentee you wouldn't get anywhere near 28 mpg of the Vette and the 5 year bumper to bumper would be long gone. Save yourself nearly 10K and get a Subaru WRX. Does that mean your ordering the base Mini vice the Cooper S because it's lighter? Your absolutely correct in assuming the Cobra to be of less weight than the S (approx. 2100-2200/2600+lbs). By the way, I can't wait to start adding performance mods to my S so that I can start embarrassing some of the bigger HP cars out there - Sportscars: It's not about the weight or the size, it's about getting there faster! Motor on! :smile:

Old 07-13-2002, 05:21 PM
razz
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope that anyone who can't decide between an 350Z and the Cooper S would go ahead and buy the 350Z. Anyone attracted to the horrendous styling of the Z (it looks like a homebuilt kit car with that rectangular grille and exagerrated roof rake) would not appreciate the MINI.

Old 07-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Nolan
2nd Gear
Actually...bought the "S" for MSRP, drove it for a month, put 2K miles on it and then sold it for $2K profit...immediately put the 2K profit down on a new Z.....sorry the mini "S" is a cutle little runabout for town and handles great, especially cornering, but after driving it to San Diego and back from Phoenix through the mountains, it is no sportscar....I need a true sportscar without paying for a 911, laugh! If I don't like it, I can keep trading up, laugh! My wife loved it, but she is too much into cute and cuddly than me, laugh!