R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini Cooper gender issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 08:37 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper gender issues

I might be setting myself here to some ranting but what's up with calling a mini a "she" or:

“…every time I wash my MINI, the whole backside of her gets really dirty within the first days of being clean”
another one is the classic, “she’s a beauty”

Sorry but perhaps myself being ESL (English as Second Language), might have to do with the confusion, but sorry our Mini Cooper S is not a she.
*We both agree on this one…and she (being my girlfriend) is from Toronto, the most PC city I know so far*

Old 08-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every MINI is as individual as it's owner. They take on a personality all their own...:smile: Some seem to be more "masculine" and some more "feminine". Some are neither to some MINI owners.........no worries...

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS "Gizmo"

Old 08-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine's definitely a dude.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:11 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's more tradition than anything else - all ships are referred to as "she," and it seems that the trend has carried over to land vehicles.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Lucy has 2 banging pipes and one sweet body!.... errrr well she is classy yet knows how to get down and dirty.... thats my girl "Lush Lucy"!

to me it depends on the orah (sp?) that your car puts on you and people surrounding it. for example my first vehicle was a truck and it was old and rusted and strong so he was hogan...then I had a ford taurus which was named...the b|t(h cuz she always hated my driving and she looked like one... and now Lucy is soooooooo pretty with a sweet body and the mustard to back the body with some skillz.

Oh well thats my take on this gender issue

-Josh

Old 08-03-2005, 09:46 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Since Dragons are mythical and neither male or female gender my MINI has no gender. It's just My MINI, the Dragonflyer.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
havent you seen shrek?

-Josh

Old 08-03-2005, 09:51 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
Hmm. Well my girlfriend says that our mini is a he. Interesting. It's just that sometimes it seems a little funny to me...like if the car was delicate.
I love mine because it gets pissed off when you floor it...kind of like ready for action when entering the highway! (maybe that has to do with the Miltek and the Alta CAI!)

Old 08-03-2005, 09:52 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Wicked Wanda is definitely a she-car! fdavid, if yours is a fella, that's just fine! Each MINI is unique and gives out its own vibe.

Clover

Old 08-03-2005, 10:01 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
Sure thing! Never meant to start a he she dispute. Just to see how you all feel about your cars.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
In English many things are still referred to in the feminine despite the grammatical transformation of the pronouns referring to humans. Not only cars and craft, but church (mother church, her foundations, etc.) and even the world itself (mother earth, mother nature, her bounty, etc.). And Spanish, French and Italian adhere to masculine and feminine articles along with nouns. ESL applies to me too and in my first language there are no he/she pronouns. Come to think of it there are no articles or verb tenses either, but that's not germane to this thread. As for my MINI, well it's ambidextrous--equally adept at making left or right turns.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:52 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
My Ollie is a boy. :smile:
His sister, the Omni, was a girl: Goldie

When I was in college, my material culture professor did a survey of car information questions in all of his classes. We were to answer questions about our cars (or our family's, where applicable). I don't remember the exact numbers, but...

The majority of cars, named and unnamed, were female (in the 70% range)
About 60% (+/-) named their cars
Most named cars were based on their (or a) color (somewhere around 70%)

Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
As said before, many things in the English language are given more feminine identities. A good hunk of car folk, not necessarily MINI folk, automatically give a car a feminine identity. I think it has something to do with men getting in them and revving em up (or is that too x-rated?). My MINI, Bruno, is definitely masculine though and has a touch of little man syndrome. You know the small guy that is constantly working on his muscles to prove to eeryone how big and bad he is. I think Bruno needs some counseling :smile:

Old 08-04-2005, 05:28 AM
inioway
6th Gear
I love Mandaboo's post. It's pretty much been said but just a few more things to note. In English we tend to talk about our motherland. For Germans (at least in the past) it is the fatherland. Hurricaines used to always be females, but for parity they now alternate between male and female names. I guess some women took offense to always being the ones storming in blowing lots of air and ruining everything.

Indeed, MINIs project -- or owners project upon them -- gender characteristics. IMO, either is fine and I could even care less if some are transgendered.

My Mrs. Peel is just that: a gorgeous kicka*ss woman. I sensed it immediately but knew it the first time I Zainoed her gorgeous body. I've noted she seems attracted to other female MINIs and that's fine with me too. Call me PC if you want. I just love all MINIs.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This has a very simple solution, and it all comes down to anatomy.

Coopers are boys and MCS's are girls.

Just look at their rears and count the number of exhaust ports.

Cooper has only one, so it is a boy.

MCS has two, so it is a girl.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:57 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Doncha think this labling thing is in part due to sexual insecurity? Many can't accept the idea of "something inbetween male and female." It's the "I gotta know if this is a 'he' or a 'she' or just what I'm lookin' at here!" mentality... And I think the tendency is very natural... just a bit insecure. (my2c)

Old 08-04-2005, 06:03 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Yucca, but my Bruno hasn't been neutered so he has his, uh, you know that still hang down in the uh, rump area

Old 08-04-2005, 06:13 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
I always thought mine was a boy until last spring he started wearing a bra

Mandaboo, can you give me the name of your MINI shrink

Old 08-04-2005, 06:20 AM
inioway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by asodestrom
I always thought mine was a boy until last spring he started wearing a bra

Perhaps you should lower the octane. Clearly he's overweight to the point of developing boy boobies.

Mine did go through some therapy due to small woman's syndrome. Everytime some muscle car went to pass she had this urge to prove she was a fast hussy. Thankfully, therapy helped her feel less need to prove that she's a fast hussy.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:28 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
I couldn't decide what to name my mini, if i wanted to name it, or what gender it was for a while. I actually came to the conclusion after seeing everyone else call their MINI's a she, that mines a boy.

Because all your girly S's keep teasing him, and stringing him along!

And this picture made me think he was little toddler boy Playing peek a boo..

Old 08-04-2005, 06:37 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by asodestrom
We're still trying to find one that doesn't laugh when Bruno tries to relay his hardships. I think Ini has found one though. Can you give us some references there Ini?

Old 08-04-2005, 06:57 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
We had a thread similar to this recently. Maybe it can help you figuring out what sex your MINI is.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...light=mini+sex

Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
I had thought about this before getting my Mini, and had determined that it was an IT.

When the man refers to the car, he says 'The' before the title, instead of a male or female adjective.

"Robin, to the Batmobile!"

So when my co-workers would say 'How is she/he', as if I had a new baby, I'd quickly retort 'you mean THE Batmini? It's doing fine, just fine...'

Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by dragonflyer
Since Dragons are mythical and neither male or female gender my MINI has no gender. It's just My MINI, the Dragonflyer.
ummm I am pretty sure Dragons have gender....hence the Eggs they hatch from....

And mythical??? I dunno about that one either LOL

Originally Posted by fdavid
I might be setting myself here to some ranting but what's up with calling a mini a "she" or:

“…every time I wash my MINI, the whole backside of her gets really dirty within the first days of being clean”
another one is the classic, “she’s a beauty”

Sorry but perhaps myself being ESL (English as Second Language), might have to do with the confusion, but sorry our Mini Cooper S is not a she.
*We both agree on this one…and she (being my girlfriend) is from Toronto, the most PC city I know so far*[img]images/smilies/thumb-up.gif[/img]
as for me Hal is a girl...heck MLE had to know when I met her I have "a wife" on a vessel from england she was the only gal I had met who understood the whole love of cars thing...IIIi dunno...but I have deffinetly met some male Minis...and some IT minis...I think it's all reflective of you...like dogs and kids...Minis end up with thier own personalities that come from how YOU "raise" them..

Old 08-04-2005, 07:52 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Reminds me of my old tamagotchis and giga pets.

I was the reason they were banned from my school. I had 15 of them!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Mini Cooper gender issues