R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Malfunctioning window motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 10:18 PM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use my windows everyday, all year, even in the winter. No problems

Old 07-30-2005, 07:18 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh... so now I know why when I called the other day to make a service appointment (at 48.8K ) for "stuttering, squealy" windows on both passenger and driver side the guy on the other end said; "Oh yeah -- regulators. We'll replace them."

I just know that I'll be around weeping over my decision not to sell Ollie for an '05 in about 1200 miles...

Who ever would have guessed that C4's MINIs have all been fine?

Old 07-30-2005, 07:24 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wanda's passenger window doesn't open anymore. When the door is opened, the window doesn't dip. I'm out of town, but before I left, I placed the Bently MINI Manual in a VERY conspicuous place, turned to the window schematics, for hubby to..ahem.."notice!"

I had the windows inspected several times, due to intermittent shimmying, but got the typical "unable to duplicate" on the worksheet printout.

Of course, now I am at almost 49K, so I doubt it will be covered under warranty...

Clover

Old 07-30-2005, 07:35 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Clo -- are you out of town without Wanda?????

Has anyone with the window problems noticed that it happens more during wet weather than dry? That's been my observation, anyway. And when I put the windows down my car fills with a musty smell, so I'm wondering if somehow water got in there and damaged the regulators...?

Old 07-30-2005, 08:15 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Toastie, I flew to the Southeast to visit YuccaPatrol, PurplePeopleEater (Yucca's bride), and sndwave! I don't drive to-and-fro all year.....just in the spring!

My window problems have been more pronounced during hot, dry weather. Not sure about the effect of rain on it, though. I didn't take the ambient conditions into consideration, other than heat, at the times when the windows went screwy on me!

Clover

Old 07-30-2005, 08:29 AM
C4
Banned

You guessed that right! ZERO window problems in all 3 MINIs.

Originally Posted by OmToast
Huh... so now I know why when I called the other day to make a service appointment (at 48.8K ) for "stuttering, squealy" windows on both passenger and driver side the guy on the other end said; "Oh yeah -- regulators. We'll replace them."

I just know that I'll be around weeping over my decision not to sell Ollie for an '05 in about 1200 miles...

Old 07-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Red
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
3 MINIs and 50K combined miles later and have never had a single problem with the power windows.
Imagine! 50k with no window problems! Sounds like a Ford or a Honda.
Congratulations.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:41 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
i've had mine replaced once before and it does seem like during humid weather they act up more! (04' mcs, early build)

Old 08-01-2005, 06:33 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To NOT have problems with any BMW products' windows is the exception....

Old 08-03-2005, 08:08 AM
lns1122
3rd Gear
Unbelievable!!! Now my driver's side window doesn't work!! JoeGreen (MC 03 prod date 1-10-03) is now at 59K. (See previous post in this thread about fixing other window.) Yesterday, very hot day here, I tried to open window after lunch and it wouldn't budge. Tried hitting the door w/ toggle engaged but that didn't work either. With engine off but electrical on, I can hear the motor engage but the window isn't moving so I guess it's the regulator.

Now, here's my naive question of the day: If everyone knows that BMW has deficient window hardware, why is warranty or not even a question? It seems there is plenty of evidence here and with the service departments that window reliability is lousy so has anyone tried to argue that the fix should be on them?

I never thought I'd say it but Honda Hybrids are starting to look better and better. The ONLY question in my mind when I bought the MINI was reliability as that and mpg are the main criteria for me. Maybe I'm just having a bad -- read $200 window repair -- day.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:59 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
There are days I've gotten out of bed thinking that a Prius was lookin' good... but damn if my car doesn't make me smile in a completely irrational, economically nonsensical fashion...

So, the windows are $200 to repair? That's good to know -- thanks. As my warranty is up in <1200 miles I'm just going to put $400 aside right now...

Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 PM
lns1122
3rd Gear
There are days I've gotten out of bed thinking that a Prius was lookin' good... but damn if my car doesn't make me smile in a completely irrational, economically nonsensical fashion...
I know the feeling precisely but it's wearing off after 30 months and what I consider too many fixes. I've driven JoeGreen everywhere, far from MINI service departments, and I don't want to get stuck in northern Montana in a few weeks with a breakdown of any kind. And, I do take care of him with maintenance as required and reasonable vigilance about his noises and quirks. I just have a difficult time with haphazard quality control in any system ... QA was my career so I'm probably closer to a fanatic ... AND, you have to know that I've had serious computer issues the past few weeks, which have affected my usually sunny disposition ...

So, the windows are $200 to repair? That's good to know -- thanks. As my warranty is up in <1200 miles I'm just going to put $400 aside right now...
Now, for the REST of the story ... when I went out for lunch, I tried the window again and it worked just fine ... so it may be failing and I'll have another episode or the 95 degree heat may have had an effect (Keep in mind I'm not a physics instructor ... ) or whatever.

As for $200 ... that's the quote I got from my local mechanic not from a MINI service department. I could hear the motor so he thought it was the regulator and hence the $200 for parts AND labor. He said $300 for motor/parts and labor if that were the problem.

JoeG is out of warranty and I'm too far from the dealer so, unless only the dealer's service can fix whatever it is, I'll cultivate the local BMW-trained independent mechanic here who has a wonderful reputation. And, I have my own Bentley manual for reference and a couple of life-long Bimmer owner friends who advise. It takes a village .... ... and it's not rocket science!

Old 08-13-2005, 05:17 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Clo -- are you out of town without Wanda?????

Has anyone with the window problems noticed that it happens more during wet weather than dry? That's been my observation, anyway. And when I put the windows down my car fills with a musty smell, so I'm wondering if somehow water got in there and damaged the regulators...?
This is exactly what I have been experiencing over the last two weeks. It is intermittent right now. I will try the "sharp hit" technique today to see if it helps. Thanks to all for their posts!!

Old 08-13-2005, 05:55 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
I have an '03 w/ about 22k miles. My windows shimmy/shudder some when it's hot out (most days recently here in SE FL). The big quirk is that my pass window sometimes won't go down when I use the fob for all open and rarely won't go down w/ the toggle either. If I start the car, turn it off and restart than all is fine. The dealer of course can't recreate the problem.

PS sometimes this happens w/ the Auto AC and HK too.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:57 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
hey canada awesome paint yo!

nice paint job is it like an alpina style pant job?

& does it have a pin stripe of some sort?

Originally Posted by Big Daddy
This is exactly what I have been experiencing over the last two weeks. It is intermittent right now. I will try the "sharp hit" technique today to see if it helps. Thanks to all for their posts!!

Old 08-13-2005, 11:36 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
I have gotten this in the right window twice now, starting about three weeks ago. Both times water was involved--once was a wash and the other was rain.

-Actuating window toggle only causes clicking noise in the right door.
-The window does not drop when the door is opened and cannot be forced down manually.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Joe Donovan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
I use my windows everyday, all year, even in the winter. No problems
Been there and replaced one of them . MA says the new one is improved.
The problem is that we don't use them but the car does. Every time we open and close the doors the window goes up and down 1/2" to clear the rain gutter. Motors (especially DC motors) don't like these short bursts, where they don't get up to speed. If we will use the windows we won't have so many problems w/ them.
Hope This Helps, Joe D.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:47 PM
mapleleaf
Neutral
My driver's side window had this very problem this morning for the first time. I tried the "hit the door right under the handle while you activate the toggle switch" and voila...window works again.

I have a couple of questions and concerns... For the people who have "fixed" the problem with hitting the door under the door handle, how long does this "fix" typically last? Does it work multiple times?

For the people who have gone to have the motor replaced, what happens if you get to the dealership and the window is still working because of the temporary "hitting the door fix"? Will they still take your word and replace the motor?

The reason I am asking these questions is because I live 400 miles away from the closest dealership. What really bums me out is I was just at a dealership two weeks ago to get the oil changed and to fix the problem of my door not unlocking when I pull on the driver's side door handle. Now only two weeks later I have this window problem and on top of that my brake pad wear light went off last week. In order for me to get to a dealership for service I must drive over six hours both ways and take a vacation day since the service department is not open on weekends. I don't really want to do this and get there and have them not replace the motor because it is working again since I hit the door to "fix" it.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleaf

For the people who have gone to have the motor replaced, what happens if you get to the dealership and the window is still working because of the temporary "hitting the door fix"? Will they still take your word and replace the motor?

I have this same worry. I lose my warranty soon so i want to get this fixed before time is up. The problem is that it fails on and off intermittently. Will they fix it even if i can't replicate the problem the day i go to the dealer?

Old 08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
H&J
3rd Gear
Our 04 MCS with 18,700 miles began having intermittent driver's side window problems in July. Seems to happen on days here in the bay area when it's been sitting in the sun on 90+ degree days. Like many of you, it doesn't respond at all to toggle, door opening, or keychain, not even the 1cm position adjustment for the rain gutter. I haven't tried tapping under the handle YET.
So far it has kicked in after turning car on and off or after sitting overnight.
Our driver's side always sqeals like crazy when we lower it.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:37 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I have this same worry. I lose my warranty soon so i want to get this fixed before time is up. The problem is that it fails on and off intermittently. Will they fix it even if i can't replicate the problem the day i go to the dealer?
HA!

get classic to fix somethign without proving it wasnt your fault or it doesnt still do it (or not do it in this case) is like pulling teeth!

Old 08-15-2005, 05:02 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
From my experience with GBMINI#2, time between failures was unpredictable but once it failed once, it was definitely going to fail again - next day, next week or next month ...

Unless you have a great relationship with your dealership, I think they will be unlikely to replace a functioning window motor. If you want it fixed by them, then don't carry out the "manual" repair.

BTW:
Technically, the failure is either a bit of dust/swarf/whatever that is on the brushes in the motor and preventing current flow, or it is a burned spot on the brushes/commutator - again preventing current flow.
By hitting the door panel while trying to put power through the motor, you will jog it, and it will shift the brush/commutator position and with luck it will find a spot where current will flow.
Over time, there will be more and more dust/swarf/etc, and/or more and more burned spots, making motor failure more and more likely.

For one replacement motor on GBMINI#2, the techs at MINI Peabody took the old motor apart - it had loads of bits of plastic swarf, worn away from the inside of the motor housing by the motor itself

Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Califzeph
5th Gear
I got my window fixed under warranty a couple weeks ago. They replaced the motor. It only cost me 90 minutes waiting time in the waiting area. OK though, because they had a plate of home made chocolate chip cookies there to go with my coffee.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Califzeph
I got my window fixed under warranty a couple weeks ago. They replaced the motor. It only cost me 90 minutes waiting time in the waiting area. OK though, because they had a plate of home made chocolate chip cookies there to go with my coffee.
did you have to replicate the problem in front of the dealer in order to get the fix?

I guess im just gonna call up for one last trip up there before my warranty says goodbye

Old 08-16-2005, 07:17 AM
4GAZM
5th Gear

the shuddering squeky window is usually caused by the molding getting very hot from the sun, when its hot out my windows hop when its cool they work flawless some days are worse then others but thats what i found to be the issue

Quick Reply: R50/53 Malfunctioning window motor