R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Our Cooper is no more!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the Cooper have Good Karma?

Good Evening.
As I sit here and write this, I'm sad to announce that our famed 'MINIvan' has joined the ranks of the 'Used Car Market'. Yes, sadly, my fairly rare BRG/BRG 2003 Cooper, was traded today. Before I go into the details, let's remember first, my dear sweet Cooper.
He was named our 'MINIvan' because we ordered him nearly 1 MONTH before learning Michael had knocked me up. On our 3rd Anniversary, we took the day off from work and wandered into our dealer, who promptly told us to come back in a few hours -- yep, you guessed it -- bright and shiny and new. They gave me a stuffed, red cooper (I think they thought it was for the baby). I learned to drive a manual on this car. We replaced the clutch. He had been a part of the family. My son went on drives in it and it was BY FAR he's favorite ride.
On a happy day we brought the car home. We've been nothing but pleased with it. I believe this car had good karma. A happy day begat many more happy memories.

<sniffle> I'm going to miss my little MINIvan.<sniffle>

Alas, thinking we would be MORE happy if we bought a NEW, shinier, HAPPIER car. We still hold out hope that we were right.

Hugs,
PB

Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Oh, you want details?

ok, ok....details.

Yes, we decided to a buy a NEW car. But what could replace our dear sweet Cooper??? Well, we had been thinking we might like something like this:

But today, after months of waiting, taking another day off from work; scraping the kid debris from the backseat; driving (our last drive in the Cooper ever) hours to get to the dealer. We came home in this:

Shocking, I know.

Hugs,
PB

Old 03-21-2005, 08:03 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Given that the 3'er already has plates, I'm guessing that this is a CPO? If so, nicely done. The E46 is a very nice car and to get it CPO'd is (IMO) a smart thing to do. Congratulations on a great car.

Like you I was an early adopter of MINI and like you I found myself at the dealer today. I was only test driving (for now), but we'll see where it leads. :smile:

Old 03-21-2005, 08:17 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
But *that's* NOT my car!!!!

So, yes, we did in fact drive a 3 Series BMW home from our appointment to pick up, the ordered and arrived 2005 MCS in Hyper Blue/White. (Did I actually fool you into thinking we'd BOUGHT a 3 series? Silly, Silly, Silly)

Here's the full and complete story -- only edited for language and length.

We quietly placed an order for our new MCS on my hubby's birthday in December. We requested that it arrive late in March so that we'd have break-in time prior to the Dragon. The order had to be the easiest thing our MA has ever done. There were literally NO questions. A short test drive (only because I'd never driven an S and frankly, what the heck) and we placed the order. No muss, no fuss. However, we mentioned that we would be in touch in January/February to discuss some add-ons (like a known need for a roof rack/box) so we would only have to head to the dealer once for pick-up after everything was done.

Then we waited. Actually, the second time around the wait wasn't nearly as bad. As I drove the Cooper I wasn't jealous of anyone who already had a MINI -- since I still had mine. Michael wasn't as easy as he (being the money man in the family was trying to nail down add-on pricing).

I'll speed through production, shipping, and arrival at the dealer. I'll only mention that the VP didn't get back to us on the pricing (of note later in the story) when we had asked.

The MINI arrived at the dealer LAST Tuesday or Wednesday. We FINALLY got a price on the stuff we wanted on THURSDAY afternoon. We set up an appointment to pick-up the car at 11am this morning. Great, awesome, right?? wrong.

We arrive this morning. We walk in on our MA who has just returned from a 2 week vacation (much needed I'm sure) freshly engaged and digging through the floor of his office muttering about people making a mess. (bad sign) He smiles and says he must get details from the VP (who had been MIA often until last Thursday). We wait. (that's the theme of today - waiting) Brad (awesome MA) and Michael run off to look at the car (find VP in process). Let's sum up what happened with the fact that Michael wouldn't tell me about it and made MA and VP tell me with what they were going to do to fix it. What happened? Our car was JUST then beginning to have any of the stuff done to it. The 4 hour roof rack install; the driving lights; the sirius radio -- the basics -- NOTHING had been done. SO, being MINI (and therefore typically awesome), the VP stepped up and said, "Never fear, we will send you home in a loaner and FLAT BED the car to you this evening." Perfect?

Three hours later. Still standing in the dealership. The requested roof box: not there yet; the requested electric MINI for son: not there yet. Both items to be brought to us (2 hours away) by service manager who lives near where I work. I'm HUNGRY and Michael's getting antsy. Not a good combo.

Promised time of delivery when we left at 1pm: 5pm

3:45pm: MA called car was being washed and loaded might be running slightly later than 5pm.

6:30pm: 911 page from ME to VP because car had NOT arrived to be told that car was being loaded at that very moment. ME: totally overcome with anger. Told VP off (with basic politeness). Offered solution for make good -- we shall see.

9pm: Car arrived. I could have hugged the driver of the flat bed. Hugged car instead. Here's the car arriving.

In the dead of night, the car FINALLY arrives a mere 10 hours late. Could this be a sign of BAD karma? Hope not. I'm in love again -- I'll freely admit that my love waned during the hours of WAITING.

Here's the night-night photo. If it wasn't 37 degrees, I might have slept in it tonight.

Hugs,
PB

Last edited by mbabischkin; 03-21-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:22 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD
Given that the 3'er already has plates, I'm guessing that this is a CPO? If so, nicely done. The E46 is a very nice car and to get it CPO'd is (IMO) a smart thing to do. Congratulations on a great car.

Like you I was an early adopter of MINI and like you I found myself at the dealer today. I was only test driving (for now), but we'll see where it leads. :smile:
PUHLEEEZZZ!!!!! Besides it wouldn't look very good if the President of DC Metro MINIs dumped his MINI for a BMW!!!!

Old 03-21-2005, 08:24 PM
lotsie
Banned
I will never feel bad for being a bit long on some posts
Great story,well told
37F would be fine by me to sleep with such a beauty

Old 03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
Great story,well told
Yes but don't some of you Canadians swim in the frozen waters? Polar Bears, right?

Thank you, I'm glad you like our new baby. Now to really make it sporty ---time to add the carseat and stroller!!

Hugs,
PB

Old 03-21-2005, 08:28 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Tell me about it.

That's the last time I try to be supportive of a MINI to BMW purchase.

Anyhow, nice MINI. So what was your final spec?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
*gentle faceslap*

DONT SCARE US LIKE THAT AGAIN!!!!

NICE new ride!

Whatcha gonna name it?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
37F is practically tropical weather for you compared to what you have dealt with this winter, eh?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:34 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD

Anyhow, nice MINI. So what was your final spec?
Hyper Blue/White MCS

All four packages
Chrome interior and exterior packages
Silver webspoke Wheels
HK Sound with Sirius upgrade

No Nav this time -- we are going with the Pocket PC Nav.

Coming: (next 24 -48 hours)
Parcel Shelf with power and Aux Jack
Sony Bluetooth kit

Coming by end of week -- depending if dealer has to "flat bed" these too
Roof Box
Convertible Battery powered MINI for Boy

Name: Shockingly will be ------ MINIvan #2

Hugs,
PB

Old 03-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warning to anyone buying a used BRG/BRB Cooper in the DC area:

Make sure you get an extended warranty that includes clutch replacement. I wouldn't touch this tranny with a 10-foot pole!

The new MCS looks great!

Old 03-21-2005, 08:48 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BabsWife
Hyper Blue/White MCS

All four packages
Chrome interior and exterior packages
Silver webspoke Wheels
HK Sound with Sirius upgrade

Convertible Battery powered MINI for Boy

Name: Shockingly will be ------ MINIvan #2

Hugs,
PB
PB,
Nice twisted story.
Congrats on the new MCS.
Webspoke wheels- yum yum.

Convertible powered MINI- priceless fun.

I wonder how long is the break in period on the battery powered MINI??
One week maybe??

MINIvan#2? How creative!

Old 03-21-2005, 09:59 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
YAY!!! Congrats on the new MINIvan#2!! So......whose is it?

Love the specs........very, very pretty!!!

Clover

Old 03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Hahaha very nice!!!

Old 03-22-2005, 02:50 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats!

Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Haha! It would have been interesting if the frickin' president of DCMM didn't have a MINI!!!

Hope to motor with ya soon! Will we see the new addition Saturday?

-Paul!

Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 AM
ScottGBRG
1st Gear
Congrats on the new ride. Can't wait to see it at the Dragon.

Scott

Old 03-22-2005, 05:07 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Yucca:
It's my hope that they send the car to auction and it doesn't get sold locally! Although after my meltdown when the clutch failed the new one gets treated MUCH better...

Clover:
OH GOD DON'T INSTIGATE THAT ARGUMENT!!!:gr in:
For the sake of piece and harmony in our household, it's official our car! Jimmy Carter had to be brought in to negotiate that settlement! Although the original plan had been for her to drive it off the lot and home since I drove the Cooper home (basically because she didn't now how to drive that one at the time). With yesterday's drama it didn't quite work out that way. She's done a quick loop with it, while I went for a 5 mile spin Plus I have the car all day today!

Paul:
It's my plan to be there

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words...

Old 03-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I was going to say that you're crazy - turning in the MINI for a BMW! Nice new S you got there.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:55 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
In the light of Day -- an update

Ok, as if you thought the saga would have ended with the arrival of the flat bed last night????

Here's the brief run down of the just now 12 hour old MINI.

Currently missing or needing repairs:
1. The dealer installed sirius radio seems to be defective. The car arrived last night with NO (as in none, nada, nothing) documentation. Hence we waited until this morning to get the serial number to set-up the system. And based on the phone call I just got -- not successfully. Major Bummer.

2. Requested programing to the car was not done. While most is minor, we HATE daytime running lights and they are on now -- which means it is a trip somewhere to get that "fixed". Bummer.

3. Roof rack covers came in BLACK to match my WHITE roof???? Minor Bummer.

Michael is home now, trying to solve the above problems AND to install what he wants on the car.

If we all collectively cross our fingers, perhaps I'll get to drive OUR car to work tomorrow --- in hopes of the roof box and electric converible to be brought to me.

What an experience!!!

Hugs,
PB

Old 03-22-2005, 07:25 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Congrats on your new MINI-it's a beauty Just in time for the Dragon

Lois

Old 03-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice!!! What a story eh? Maybe you should have bought it at Sterling after all...

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven)
05' Cool Blue MCSC

Old 03-22-2005, 08:00 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
Very nice!!! What a story eh? Maybe you should have bought it at Sterling after all...

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven)
05' Cool Blue MCSC
Donna -- funny that you think that.

You know, Michael and I have thought about you and Mike most of the evening and morning --- were your ears ringing??? It was all good thoughts.

Hugs,
PB

Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 AM
GuateMINI
2nd Gear
Very Nice

Sorry about the small stuff, but the car looks great and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. PLEASE show picture when you get the roof rack/box up.

Do you think they'd flatbed a MINI to Guatemala a no charge?!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Our Cooper is no more!