R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Adding new toggle switch to existing bank

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 09:19 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding new toggle switch to existing bank

Has anyone tried to install a new toggle switch into the existing bank of toggle switches? Right now I dont have a full set of switches (missing rear fog) but I bought an extra one and today I took apart the bank of switches only to find there was no easy way to create a new hole on the empty slot for my new toggle switch. Its a solid peice of plastic that runs across the whole toggle face plate. So I either have to drill a new hole or find a way to cut a new hole in the exitsting face plate. But I'm afraid I'll crack the whole thing if i do.

So anyone whos added a new toggle switch to an existing bank any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2005, 09:47 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
I haven't added one but I have one for the blank spot and would like to put my garage door opener in that space. If you find out how, let me know

Earl

Old 01-16-2005, 10:03 PM
MrV
4th Gear
Don't quote me.... but I think that you have to buy whole now toggle switch panel.

Would be nice to have the garage door opener in that rear fog space.

I bought the rear fog, just so that I wouldn't have to look at the empty space (I keep my cars forever, and I knew that it would forever bug me), even though we don't exactly get a lot of fog here in North Texas.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
You must drill the hole - it's just shy of 1/2 inch, IIRC. I chose to go slightly smaller and use a rat tail file to enlarge the hole to the correct size. Note that after you drill, the plastic is white around the edges. Upon the advice of a fellow NAMer, I used a black sharpie to color the plastic, which worked perfectly. Note that in two of the three I didn't widen the hole quite enough, so the toggle is 'sticky'. It's irrelevant, of course, since they don't DO anything, but FYI.
MrV, check out http://www.gbmini.net/MINIcircuit/index.shtml Ian has created a circuit to do just that (and auto-up your windows, too!) I installed one in a friend's MINI using the previously blank ASC/DSC toggle to activate the garage door opener. Works awesome, and gets the damn GDO off of the visor.

See this thread as well for a bit of feedback from NAMers
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=auto-up

Disclaimer: I have no interest in Ian's module other than buying a few because they're rippingly cool.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Adding switches. Sure its possible. i have more switches than i know what to do with.

Attached Thumbnails Adding new toggle switch to existing bank-image044.jpg  
Old 01-17-2005, 04:12 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a how-to from the MotoringFile.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:58 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
Eric has it down. Just drill out the blank spot on a drill press - just be sure to pre-punch the spot because you're drilling on a convex shape, and use a black sharpie to colour in the hole. I did that to mount a non-functioning extra toggle because I didn't like the look of of a blank space but added the rear fog shortly thereafter so my old panel is mounted over my workbench. The kids love to play with it - missile launchers and all that, you know.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:16 AM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
You must drill the hole - it's just shy of 1/2 inch, IIRC. I chose to go slightly smaller and use a rat tail file to enlarge the hole to the correct size. Note that after you drill, the plastic is white around the edges. Upon the advice of a fellow NAMer, I used a black sharpie to color the plastic, which worked perfectly. Note that in two of the three I didn't widen the hole quite enough, so the toggle is 'sticky'. It's irrelevant, of course, since they don't DO anything, but FYI.
Oh ok so just drilling it will do? I was afraid that it'll crack the whole face plate if I drilled it.

Ok one other thing... I dont have a Drill press to drill it. Will it be ok to just use a regular drill?

Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I have never drilled a face plate but I expect the trick is "slow and straight".

I think I have a spare face plate somewhere - that way if you had "an accident" there would be a backup plan ... email me (GBMINI@MINIsOnTop.com) if you want me to search around.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Yes EBMCS03, a hand drill works fine. It's a bit scary at first (there's no 'undo' button! ) but it's not all that bad. Definitely go from the back side - it's concave, so helps to center itself, but still good to use a punch (lightly). I didn't punch them (drilled 3 holes) and one was slightly off, but easy enough to 'straighten out' with the rat tail file. That's one reason to use a slightly undersized drill. Go slowly and it'll break right through. I used the drill bit to smooth out the edges upon completion. Oh, and place the switch bank on a soft surface (carpet, etc.) - you don't want to scratch it up in the process! Fortunately given the shape of the toggle panel, imperfections aren't noticeable.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:56 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Thanks! I'll try to drill it this weekend and see what happens. *FINGERS CROSSED*

Old 01-22-2005, 05:56 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Thanks guys. I managed to get the toggle switch installed this weekend and managed not to crack the face plate. spent a little over an hour...

First I took the face plate out and drilled a small hole with a small drill bit.

Then I went a little larger and drilled a bigger hole. Did this a few times...

Almost done... need to file it down a little and color the white parts with a sharpie...

Poor MINI all taken apart

All done... Not bad... cant tell I drilled the hole.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:39 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Unfortunately MINI2 pic attachments don't show up over here - but anyone can find your original post hereNicely done!

Old 01-22-2005, 06:53 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Unfortunately MINI2 pic attachments don't show up over here - but anyone can find your original post hereNicely done!
Really???? How come it showed up for me and are STILL showing up... WOW... I must have some pretty good cache...

Old 01-22-2005, 06:57 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Yes, I see them here now too ... not sure if it is a cache thing, or if MINI2 tracks whether "you" (ie: the IP address) are looking at MINI2 pages - my guess is the second. Many web sites try to block use of embedded pics on other sites these days, to save bandwidth abuse.

Anyway, a great pictorial write-up, which I linked to for posterity as well

Old 01-22-2005, 07:18 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
I'm trying to do this same basic thing but wire it to my radar detector to shut it off if I get pulled over (not planing on it anytime soon though). I would prefer to use the stock looking toggle switch if at all possible. Anyone ever do this for radar or something similar?

Interesting fact of the day: Did you know that USA-1, the presidential limo, is a V-24, has 1ft 3inch thick doors and can survive an rpg attack??

*Source: The History Channel

Old 01-22-2005, 07:28 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
I'm trying to do this same basic thing but wire it to my radar detector to shut it off if I get pulled over (not planing on it anytime soon though). I would prefer to use the stock looking toggle switch if at all possible. Anyone ever do this for radar or something similar?
I have made a few custom MINI circuits for people, that can do what you describe ... the problem with using a stock toggle is that it is a momentary contact only, not an on/off switch. So you either need a circuit, or a different switch. Search around - some people have mounted other switches in the same location and got a reasonable match.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:31 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Nice job on the new switch.

How did you mount it behind the panel? Is it a live switch?

I didn't think MINI would sell the switch by itself. I thought you had to buy the whole replacement panel.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:45 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dickdavid
I didn't think MINI would sell the switch by itself. I thought you had to buy the whole replacement panel.
MINI don't sell individual toggles, but often an owner who has replaced their full panel will split the old one and sell individual toggles ...

Old 01-22-2005, 08:03 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
MINI don't sell individual toggles, but often an owner who has replaced their full panel will split the old one and sell individual toggles ...
Thats exactlly what happened... I bought the switch from this link https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=34114

Figured out how to take apart the shifter console and the toggle switch from this link http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...aq_faq_removal I skipped 8 and 9 since you do not need to pull the center speedo panal forward to get the down tubes out just slide the bottom of the downtubes back enough and they will slide out.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Is there a simple method to this?

I have one blank spot on my toggle bank, and one chrome toggle switch. I want to just put in the toggle switch - not working, not hooked up to anything, just purely cosmetic.

Do I have to remove the whole toggle bank, or can I just remove the cover?

I'm very much a noob when it comes to dismantling anything in my car (mostly out of fear of breaking something).

The instructions all seem to be for advanced replacement of switches and such.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
Is there a simple method to this?

I have one blank spot on my toggle bank, and one chrome toggle switch. I want to just put in the toggle switch - not working, not hooked up to anything, just purely cosmetic.

Do I have to remove the whole toggle bank, or can I just remove the cover?

I'm very much a noob when it comes to dismantling anything in my car (mostly out of fear of breaking something).

The instructions all seem to be for advanced replacement of switches and such.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Thats exactly what I did... I put in the switch to be a dummy switch. It served no purpose. but you do have to take all the things that was described above to install the dummy switch.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:04 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
See here for a gallery of toggle switch disassembly pics:
http://www.gbmini.net/G2/v/2005album...leSwitchPanel/

Note the last picture:
http://www.gbmini.net/G2/v/2005album...oggle.jpg.html

You need those two white pieces to hold the toggle central - otherwise it'll be loose. I guess you could glue it to the front panel if you don't have them.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 AM
xkot
3rd Gear
if the switch is installed in a old panel will it make the fogs function?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by xkot
if the switch is installed in a old panel will it make the fogs function?
It depends.
I assume you could put 'dummy' toggles in either the front or rear fog positions, and AS LONG AS THE BC1 HAS BEEN REPROGRAMMED, the toggles should operate as standard. Assuming that the dealer would reprogram the BC1 without the proper panel in place, and that all the wiring and hardware had been added. You still wouldn't have the lighted toggle though (no LEDs in the non-specific toggle banks.)

Quick Reply: R50/53 Adding new toggle switch to existing bank