R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Steering Wheel Size

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 10:59 AM
galahad
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Steering Wheel Size

So, I've had a 2006 MCS JCW for about 6 months now, I previously had a 2004. The Steering Wheel is smaller in overall diameter than my 2004's was and even blocks part of the tachometer. To be honest this bothers me more than I ever thought it would. The wheel I have is not leather either (my old one was) and I am looking to replace it.

Does anyone know if there was a change to the size of the steering wheels and when it occurred (or if there are part numbers the ID the different diameter wheels). I am probably facing getting a recovered leather wheel, the 3 spoke variety, since the JCW wheels appear to be a thing of the past since stock has run out on them for the Gen 1 cars.

Also is there a difference in the multi function controls fitting in wheels that are a different diameter? I only care about cruise controls as I've gone aftermarket with a stereo and can operate the volume **** quite easily anyway.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:25 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Photo of your SW that bothers you so much please. For all we know you would have bought a car the PO have no taste and swapped in an aftermarket "performance" wheel. The SW in the R53.2 is perfect to my liking.

If you prefer the old 2-spoke SW I am sure there are plenty of owners will trade you. They are interchangeable as far as I know.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 04-29-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:29 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
BTW, it can be human perceptual illusion. If I haven't mistaken, R53.1's grip has smaller diameter. A thicker grip of R53.2 will make the wheel seem smaller.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:36 PM
galahad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Photo of your SW that bothers you so much please. For all we know you would have bought a car the PO have no taste and swapped in an aftermarket "performance" wheel. The SW in the R53.2 is perfect to my liking.

If you prefer the old 2-spoke SW I am sure there are plenty of owners will trade you. They are interchangeable as far as I know.
It's the stock R53.2 wheel in leatherette, stock airbag and all. I think the leatherette is maybe part of it. My older car had the perforated leather. I 'd take a shot of it but it's at offsite storage. Don't know if leather would make that much of a difference. I have a friend who had driven my old car and the new one, first thing he said was the wheel blocks part of that tach, so I don't think it's just me.

I think the 2 spoke would need an airbag swap as well. Which isn't out of the question, but I actually like the 3 spoke concept so I'm not set on a 2 spoke wheel either.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:38 PM
galahad
2nd Gear
BTW, it can be human perceptual illusion. If I haven't mistaken, R53.1's grip has smaller diameter. A thicker grip of R53.2 will make the wheel seem smaller.
There was a couple of year gap between my R53's. I had an R56 in between, and have an F54 as my daily now. I don't remember the tach being obscured at all by the wheel in my old R53, and I had it for over 10 years. I may be a bit spoiled by the F54 wheel as it's lovely, but I would like to think a nice perforated leather wheel would solve my issues with the R53 though.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:04 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

PNW knows us pre-facelift dweebs way too well...I'll gladly trade you!

By the way, pre- & post-facelift (R53/R53.2) wheels are interchangeable--but R53.2/R56 wheels are not, despite their very similar design. The hub shape changed, IIRC.

I have a near-mint-condition pre-facelift two-spoke with working MSFT buttons and cruise control! I can ship you everything--wheel, airbag, module, buttons, if you'll do the same! Mine's just sitting right now anyways, as my engine is blown for like, the hundredth time.

Just like OP, as long as I get to keep my beloved cruise control for road trips, I'm happy. Shoot me a PM if interested!

The following users liked this post:
galahad (06-19-2018)