R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Ralley Package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 AM
maximus16v
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralley Package?

Hey All

Ive tried searching but I cant find anything on this subject....

What is the option called for the minis that came with a tach and speedo over the steering wheel and in the center have the different gauges instead of the speedo? I have seen only one in the local classifieds past 4 months and he says its the ralley package?

My other question is if I can find a car being wrecked with these can they be retrofitted into a standard S? Is it as simple as just getting the gauges or is there special wiring?

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2017, 10:45 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
It's the Cockpit Chrono Pack option and it's not a simple conversion. All of the center clusters are coded specifically to the VIN, options, and also store the mileage that is displayed on the speedo. If you swap in a used unit the mileage displayed will be from the donor car and can't be changed. Also, depending on the options of the donor car the warning lights on the tach and speedo might not light up correctly.

I think people have converted it using a brand new unit, but it's really expensive and requires coding with the proper software or by the dealership. I'm not sure if the correct mileage can be entered even when using a new unit. If you google "mini cooper chrono pack retrofit" you'll find lots of info across the various forums. Here's one thread from this forum: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rono-pack.html

If you can't find a Mini with the chrono pack it would be a lot easier to add aftermarket gauges and pods to the steering column.

The following 2 users liked this post by RB-MINI:
Charlie Victor (10-25-2017), maximus16v (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
If you are not a computer genus, then chances trying to convert a non Chrono to a Chrono are just about fruitless. When I bought my convertible I did not realize how difficult it is to see the digital speedo with the top down. I am assuming the speedometer works off sometype of electrical input and I would love to be able to figure out how to tap into the input and then use it to operate a small speedo next to my tach.

The following users liked this post:
maximus16v (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 12:14 PM
maximus16v
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, that's exactly the info I was looking for! I almost bought the parts to try and swap it glad I checked!

Old 08-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Perhaps some electrical genius will see this post. Yes it is difficult to get a MINI chrono speedo to work in a different MINI but can we use the center speedo input on an aftermarket speedo? I am going to post a thread on this in the main area.