R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help from the automatic gurus

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:22 PM
speedman
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Help from the automatic gurus

My 2005 MCS has the 6 speed auto in it and it has all of the standard problems that have been talked about here before. I was driving and the car shifted from 3-4 and went into the motor rev and no forward movement. I pulled over and turned the car off, but before I could get there the car went into EP mode. I reset the code and it cleared the EP, but now the car will shift into 1,2,3 gears and then into 4 and just motor revs. In normal, SD or manual mode it will shift into 4 but nothing happens. in manual mode I can shift in 4,5,6 without anything happening but revs. One Revmax guy told me it is the valve body and when I called back another guy told me that my transmission is shot and I will need to replace it. I do not know how to best diagnose the problem since there is not much info on what type of scanner to use or what to check. I have it scheduled for a visit on Monday to Bimmer Rescue in Richmond, but I would like to have an idea of what may be wrong. Any help or advice?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 PM
speedman
3rd Gear
I left out that when I am in manual mode I can shift down to 6th and back to 3rd. It does nothing in 5th or 6th but a down shift from 5th to 4th causes the transmission to act like it partially engages . I owe $4K on the car so a $3-4K rebuild is out of the question.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 PM
speedman
3rd Gear
I can really use some advice

Old 02-23-2017, 02:48 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm not an automatic guru and I don't know shift chart for the Aisin (chart that tells you what shift solenoids engage which clutch pack/clutch/brake etc. for which gear), but I'd guess you have a hydraulic issue with at least one of the solenoids. You will certainly need to have it checked out and you will probably end up replacing either the transmission or the valve body. I don't think many shops do too many automatic rebuilds anymore, I could be wrong.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:06 AM
speedman
3rd Gear
I am wondering if the the transmission shifts into 4 and the motor just revs why it does not throw an error code

Old 02-24-2017, 05:19 AM
BruceJ
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Does sound like a solenoid issue. Keep your hopes up. Maybe you will get lucky with a "Flush" and new filter. I did on an 89 E30 vert. It stuck horribly from 1st to 2nd, sometimes not shifting til 5000 rpm. I had done the flush and filter and it was two months later and still occasionally sticking. I had even obtained a donor car to do manual conversion. I guess the car knew it was coming and started shifting normally again. Never had another problem in the past two years.

I'm sure there are still some Autobox R53s out there and we don't hear about them. What we do hear about are the 5speed Midlands, but generally the 6 speed autoboxs were reputed to be an improvement.
Good Luck
Bruce

Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 AM
speedman
3rd Gear
I was ready to buy a revmax valve body but when I called them they told that my transmission was shot and I needed a new one. I don't know how he could diagnose it so fast since I was on the phone with him for less than a minute

Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Maybe get a second opinion?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:00 PM
speedman
3rd Gear
From who

Old 02-28-2017, 01:40 PM
speedman
3rd Gear
the min shop told me that in their opinion I need a new transmission because the fluid smells burnt and that it will not shift into 4th gear. It cost $139 to get this great advice.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:41 PM
speedman
3rd Gear
Is there any way to monitor the TCM while driving that will tell you if the valves are actually working in the transmission

Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
If both the Mini mechanic and RevMax told you that the transmission is shot then I think you have your answer

Old 02-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BruceJ
What we do hear about are the 5speed Midlands, but generally the 6 speed autoboxs were reputed to be an improvement.
They weren't

Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 PM
speedman
3rd Gear
I spent $139 to have a guy tell me my transmission is bad and his only test was that he drove the car and smelled the ATF. If you don't have anything to add don't respond. I know that I am not the only person to own a mini to have this problem. I will ask again if there are any transmission gurus here who can possibly shed some light on why if the transmission is shot can I drive the car and not get any error codes.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Forget about the error codes - when you drive the car you can tell that there's something wrong with he transmission, correct? You took it to a transmission guy who told you there was something wrong with the transmission, correct? You spoke to not one, but two guys from Revmax on the phone, and presumable described to them the issues that you were having, correct? Some of these Aisin transmissions go bad and just need a new valve body - some of them go bad and not even a new valve body is going to correct the problem. I had one that went bad - and I just got rid of it. My advice, since you've come on there and asked people for their advice, is to get rid of the car . . or bring it into a Mini dealership and get a third opinion. Knowing Mini dealerships, which I do, they will tell you that you need a new transmission.

Originally Posted by speedman
I spent $139 to have a guy tell me my transmission is bad and his only test was that he drove the car and smelled the ATF. If you don't have anything to add don't respond. I know that I am not the only person to own a mini to have this problem. I will ask again if there are any transmission gurus here who can possibly shed some light on why if the transmission is shot can I drive the car and not get any error codes.