R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Different kind of AIRBAG LIGHT problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:31 AM
jwinatlanta
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different kind of AIRBAG LIGHT problem

I have an airbag light problem that seems different than anything I've found on the forums.
The Airbag Light on the speedo does not come on at all, even when cycling thru the startup sequence. I pulled the speedo and yes there must have been a problem at some point because someone had put tape over it.
But now it does not come on at all.

Any ideas where to start? I have become pretty good using NCSexpert

Old 02-02-2017, 10:36 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
ncsexpert wont help you need ista/d

the airbag module is supposed to light up the airbag light, the wire passes through a connector in lower left side of car near the fusebox. If it cannot light up the airbag light in the startup sequence it stores a fault. If ista/d can see the airbag module then it's a wiring problem. If ista/d cannot see the airbag module you have deeper problems as those suckers are hard to get out.

Ista/d will show you where it is, and the wiring diagram/colors/pinouts. If the 30 or 40 something pin connector is good then it might be the airbag module itself, there's 2 fuses involved If I remember correctly, ista/d will tell use the fuse I think it's 42 ? it's been a couple weeks memory is fuzzy.

On my car it was the wire at the 40 pin connector.