R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Yet another hitch discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 PM
ATKrank
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another hitch discussion

Hello all,
I have purchased a 2002 MCS back in January. I have not loved a car as much as i love my mini. However the only drawback is transporting my and my wife's mountain bikes. I have read the threads of some people just taking the front wheels off their bikes and storing them in the hatch. This doesn't work for me for 2 reasons; 1 being my bike is a 29ner and is not as compact as my wife's 26er, and the other is that I reserve my rear hatch for my dog and my gear. I even made a rear seat delete from a link here on NAM to give my Lab more headroom. So inside the car is a no go.

I did buy a set of yakima roof racks that use the clips in the window frame. But the first time I put them on, the rear rack left dents where the towers were contacting the roof (probably my own fault for overtensioning the clips). So I really do not want to be using the roof racks after my first impression. Plus I hate having all the pieces laying around when not in use just asking to get lost. And I also really dislike having to sit there and measure out the roof racks everytime I want to go somewhere with the bikes.

So that now just leaves me with a hitch. I do already own a 3 bike Allen Sports hitch mount bike rack from my old equinox. I was doing some reading here on NAM and it seems people usually use the MiniDoMore, Mini Fini, or the Curt Style hitch. I am leaning towards the Curt since it is the cheapest and I will only be using it for a bike rack. But like it is said in all the threads, with the R53 you need to remove the reverse light. But my question is, can you simply snap
The light back in when the hitch is not in use? Or is it out for good? If it is always out, then what are you guys doing for reverse lights? Did you get some aftermarket tail lights with the reverse integrated in?

I do want to keep a clean look on my mini, hence why I opted for the removable roof racks so I can remove them when not in use and not have holes in my roof without them (not thinking I would leave big dents in the roof). However I am not crazy about the fact that I might have to always have a hole in my rear bumper. I am also wanting the hitch setup since I think it would be easier and faster to quick throw my rack in the hitch and go rather than have to sit there with a tape measure and run back and forth with the Yakima racks. Essentially I want something fast, easy, and leaves no mark when not installed. Please let me know what you guys think about any of this. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
The Mini factory rack may be a good option. From what I remember, they are not all that cheap but they are removable and mount directly to the roof to hard-points in the roof. When you remove the rack there are caps to keep the roof clean-ish.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I cannot say for sure, but the hitch that my buddy has for his 06 can be put away completely, but we don't have the reverse light in the middle. ours are in the taillights. the mini fini would be a gaurentee that you have your reverse light in the middle.

this hitch also has the light built into the hitch and gets covered when not in use
http://www.outmotoring.com/MINI_Coop...2007-2008.html

Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm a big MTN biker too and I love my mini. I didn't want to go the hitch route because all of the hitches I've seen require cutting body work. I got a yakima King Joe Pro 3. It carries my hard tail 29er no problem, and I've carried hard tail fat bikes, and FS 26ers without too much trouble. I've had no trouble with it damaging the body or paint on my hatch and it's pretty quick and easy to put on and take off.

My biggest complaint about it is you have to take the bikes off to get into the back, which is sometimes inconvenient, but avoidable if you lay a seat down before hand.

The other one I considered was the thule raceway platform 9000, it looks like it'd carry the bikes even better, it's not cheap, but if you're considering a hitch mount, it's within that ball park and it lets you return the car to it's perfect original condition.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:30 PM
pikwit
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the minidomore on my 03 and added facelift tail lights and the blank insert where the reverse light was. I think it's the best option for adding a bike rack to the car with the added bonus of better looking(imo) tail lights. I've also added an r50 style side exit exhaust but that isn't necessary.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:38 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a similar but different problem. I put the Factory roof rack on my 03. It is very strong for hauling large items, heavy items, bikes, and camping gear. I purchased a facelift JCW when my 03 died. No roof rack. I just purchased the hard point mount though. I think I need the roof rack back. no I always loved the early euro taillights. I mounted them and retrofitted my facelift mini to early taillight. I go to put the reverse light in the bumper and low and behold my new car has a trailer hitch. So I buy all the stuff so I can tow my little trailer and use a bike rack. The bike rack sticks out so far like 4' past the back of the bumper. I want the factory roof rack again. Well I was successful in retrofitting the housing for the reverse light to have the same profile as the black cap. But it incorporates a LED flat panel and is brighter than the stock bulb and fits over the hitch.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Please post some pix when you have the chance.

Maybe this one will do the job:

Trailer Hitch 1-1/4 Inch - R53 Cooper S W/rear Fog Or Back Up Light

http://new.minimania.com/part/NMX610...-Back-Up-Light

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.