R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Disconnection Rain Sensing Wipers/Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 05:43 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disconnection Rain Sensing Wipers/Windshield?

I'm probably going to need a new windshield soon, lots of small chips.

I HATE THE RAIN SENSING WIPERS/WINDSHIELD!!! I hate how the windshield wipers wont stay at a constant speed and the sensing sucks! They ALWAYS wipe too fast. Most of the time I don't even turn them on, I just turn one click down for a single wipe whenever I want it because the automatic is so stupid.

I believe its a sensor in the top center of the windshield, correct? When I get a new windshield, can I just leave this disconnected? Will it cause any issues? Will my windshield wipers still function normally? I just want a slow and fast setting, none of this "Oh this is what your car thinks you need" crap...

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
There's a connector at the top right of the little black box. No signal, no activation.
Wipers will function as normal in other switch positions.
Thanks for your service!

My main gripe is that it's a detent on the switch, but after a restart, they default to 'off', so you have to turn the switch off, then on. Note that there are two dealer (or BCM) modes - sensitive and less sensitive. I have mine on 'less' and it works pretty well. More than I would use normally, but not excessive.