R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Did I just blow the engine in my r53?!? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:10 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Is your MINI in KC or Wichita?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:16 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Is your MINI in KC or Wichita?
Baron MINI in KC...You from Kansas?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:18 PM
teutonik
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Thanks I am heartbroken honestly. I loved this car and had a lot invested into it. My dad thinks I should tow it home and rebuild it on my own.
He is a wise man. I have had countless engines out, transmissions pulled, etc. from all of the cars that I have owned and all I get is 'why are you wasting your time?' If you love the car now, wait for the moment where you can say, 'I fixed that'.

Don't be too paranoid about a cracked head... I've overheated 3 engines due to blown rads or hose clamps and none of them needed head gaskets and never overheated. You may need to check all of the coolant inlets and outlets to confirm o-ring/gasket integrity.

I've been down this road. Breathe. Do the tests (compression, cyl leakdown, coolant pressure leakdown) and go from there.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil is milky and frothy. n.
Oil doesn't get milky from a blown hose. There is no use pretending otherwise. The head, and/or gasket is bad. It isn't the oil cooler either.

From the posts I've read from Steffen, he loves his Mini, but has little knowledge of the mechanics of the car.

I always like to encourage people to work on their own cars but the damage to his Mini is way beyond what he can do. To me it's terrible advice to tell someone that hasn't really ever worked on a car that they can remove a head and fix it themselves.

I wish you the best of luck Steffen but the repairs are going to be very expensive. If you have someone there to help and guide you along the way that would be awesome. If your cousin can fix it for a good price that would be good too. If not you might want to look into cutting your loses.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:19 PM
teutonik
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I see potentially 2 people who could help him and with some luck, some forum members willing to help him.

check out these vids with whoever might be doing the work with you and see what they say about the job.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
If you have someone there to help and guide you along the way that would be awesome.
Seconded. Sounds like your cousin might have the experience necessary.

Here's a vid on head gasket replacement that might help you gauge the depth of this job.

EDIT - teutonik beat me to the punch on those videos!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:38 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Thanks for those videos I forwarded them over to my father, and he said it looks easy. My father was a ford mechanic for 10 years and my cousin/uncle have combined 30+ years at ford as well. I think the 4 of us and these videos can tackle it! Thanks for the encouragement.

My concern is we put all this work into getting it from Kansas to Massachusetts where I live and then the block is cracked or damaged. Then it was all useless...

Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Well...
You will learn...
When it's broke...
Stop...
You will be inconvenienced but your wallet will be happier....
Good luck with what you decide.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:05 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Baron MINI in KC...You from Kansas?
Wichita area. There is a great indie shop in Wichita call Bavarian Automotive that I have used since out of warranty that does great work at a great price compared to dealers.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:57 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Well...
You will learn...
When it's broke...
Stop...
You will be inconvenienced but your wallet will be happier....
Good luck with what you decide.
Your automatic transmission has 136000 miles on it. That's the only thing that would make me reconsider putting a lot of money into it

Old 05-25-2016, 08:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Do you have pics of that rad hose ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Steffen, where in MA are you?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Your automatic transmission has 136000 miles on it. That's the only thing that would make me reconsider putting a lot of money into it
And you've already posted it's also giving you trouble. After you inspect the damage, do the math and see what the cost difference would be to fix your engine and transmission or buy another MINI (manual if you're able to drive one), switch over your upgrades, and part out the rest of your original car.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Wichita area. There is a great indie shop in Wichita call Bavarian Automotive that I have used since out of warranty that does great work at a great price compared to dealers.
Thanks for the advice, ill check it out if need be!

This is exactly why I am still weighing out the options, but before I even had this **** show happen I was looking into a valve body replacement on the tranny.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Do you have pics of that rad hose ?
I am picking it up monday via uhaul and trailer so when I get it back to my house I will take some pics, thanks!

Originally Posted by mdaz75
Steffen, where in MA are you?
I am originally from south coast about 10min from Providence. You?

Originally Posted by RB-MINI
And you've already posted it's also giving you trouble. After you inspect the damage, do the math and see what the cost difference would be to fix your engine and transmission or buy another MINI (manual if you're able to drive one), switch over your upgrades, and part out the rest of your original car.
Still considering all the options, thanks all!

Old 05-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Quick update for all. I spoke with the dealer today and they will charge me nothing for the courtesy inspection, I think they feel bad for me and Barnaby lol..

I will be driving the loaner up monday and picking up a uhaul and trailer to transport it back to my house so I can park it and have a better look myself. They claim it still starts and can be driven onto the ramp if need be so thats a plus. I will post pics and description when I get it monday! Thanks all for the help so far!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can do it.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:49 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
I'm just outside of worcester. I'm guessing you're somewhere around the foxboro area?

Old 05-26-2016, 04:49 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HaveATank
You can do it.
Thanks!

I'm just outside of worcester. I'm guessing you're somewhere around the foxboro area?
And yea right outside of North Attleboro

Old 05-26-2016, 04:51 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Another thing I forgot to mention is that when I tried to do the old blast the heat trick to stop the overheating the heat was on full hot and no hot air what so ever was coming out. Does this mean the heater core is toast too?

Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Usually means you had no coolant, which is probably true.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:35 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
When you get that bad boy up and running, we'll have to plan some sort of meet up!

Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Usually means you had no coolant, which is probably true.
Oh yea the coolant was long gone!

When you get that bad boy up and running, we'll have to plan some sort of meet up!
Sounds like a plan IF I get it running...

Old 05-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear

Here's a little update for all of those interested in this post..

I was able to drive up to KC to check my MINI out of the shop and get the keys (zero dollar charge). That was the cheapest trip to a MINI dealer I have ever experienced HAHA. Anyways I got the keys got into my car and it started right up. I was able to drive it down the street to a parking lot where I got an uber to the uhaul dealer to get a truck and trailer to haul him home. Made it safely, and started the car right up again and drove it to my driveway where it'll stay for a while.

I am beginning to think it is not as bad as I thought it was. Being that it started right up, drove fine, didn't overheat, and has no lights on the dash I am stumped. Anyways I was wondering what type of stuff I should check for now in order to start trouble shooting the issue. Thanks all!

Old 05-30-2016, 01:04 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's a little update for all of those interested in this post..

I was able to drive up to KC to check my MINI out of the shop and get the keys (zero dollar charge). That was the cheapest trip to a MINI dealer I have ever experienced HAHA. Anyways I got the keys got into my car and it started right up. I was able to drive it down the street to a parking lot where I got an uber to the uhaul dealer to get a truck and trailer to haul him home. Made it safely, and started the car right up again and drove it to my driveway where it'll stay for a while.

I am beginning to think it is not as bad as I thought it was. Being that it started right up, drove fine, didn't overheat, and has no lights on the dash I am stumped. Anyways I was wondering what type of stuff I should check for now in order to start trouble shooting the issue. Thanks all!
Yes, we are very interested. I hope it is not as bad as you think. But you have resources with family and friends if memory serves.

Worst case about the head... Is there a cylinder head shop in town that can sell you a new head that was rebuilt? Or have them go through yours and get it back up to spec?

There is a reputable company here in Phx (doesn't help you tho) that sells rebuilt heads on exchange for $500-800. At least for the Honda scene. Just wondering on the worst case scenario for you. Anything less than that is gravy.

Agreed, the fact that he starts up and moves fine is good. Doesn't eliminate the issue at hand, but doesn't sound like the motor is dust.

Let us know what happens as you learn it.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:53 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Glad it still runs ok.

If it were my car and the oil was full of water, I would be pretty concerned about the bearings failing. The more you run it, the more chances your compromised oil will not protect the bearings.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Did I just blow the engine in my r53?!? HELP!!