R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cost for Resetting the CVT Clutch and Ratio Adaptations

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 PM
wolvieweb
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cost for Resetting the CVT Clutch and Ratio Adaptations

Hi folks,

My SO just got back from the stealer where she was charged $400 for upgrading the software and resetting the adaptation. She had asked for transmission service and reset adaptation, but they told her it did not need a fluid change.

This strikes me as a huge charge for maybe 30 minutes of effort, but give me a reality check - how much are people paying?

I searched and did not find any numbers for this.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:57 AM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm not sure what "resetting CVT clutch" or "adaptations" means but any time a dealer has to plug your car into their computer it is expensive and typically, there is no way to do this yourself.

If the CVT thing was to stop the engine flair problem (engine races all by itself like it shifts to low gear at light throttle), there is a procedure; however, you can get the same effect by shifting to manual shift mode and driving aggressively. Somehow the CVT brainbox loses its mind and by shifting it manually, it relearns how to be a normal transmission again. Strange but true.

Good luck,
Peter

Old 05-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Docsigns
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Actually you can reset the adaptations

Originally Posted by ptkacik
I'm not sure what "resetting CVT clutch" or "adaptations" means but any time a dealer has to plug your car into their computer it is expensive and typically, there is no way to do this yourself.

If the CVT thing was to stop the engine flair problem (engine races all by itself like it shifts to low gear at light throttle), there is a procedure; however, you can get the same effect by shifting to manual shift mode and driving aggressively. Somehow the CVT brainbox loses its mind and by shifting it manually, it relearns how to be a normal transmission again. Strange but true.

Good luck,
Peter
Actually there is a way to reset the adaptations however it’s a matter of finding which software or scanner Will communicate with the CVT controller. Although there are problems that some people may experience when doing so for example the EF code or eco-function sometimes stops you from changing the adaptations.

Will communicate with the CVT controller. Although there are problems that some people may experience when doing so for example the F code or eco-function sometimes stops you from changing the adaptations.

what adaptations are is the CVT’s memory on what to do when driving basically how to shift when you reset the app that Tatian’s you’re clearing the CVT‘s bad habits per se. This typically resolves the issue of the CVT not shifting out of first gear or second or erratic shifting.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:51 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
$400 seems a bit expensive for just a reset?

If there was an adaptive re-learn that needed to be done afterward I could see maybe 2 hours labor at the most.