R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Replacing the key fob cover only

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 04:29 PM
twoj's
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the key fob cover only

Hello,

I recently joined this forum and this is my first post. My father bought a 2016 MCS and decided to give me his '02 R50. The car has some things that need to be addressed and most of them I have been able to find answers for by searching. However, after searching and reading some threads on replacement keys, I still have a couple of questions.

I understand that there is a transponder as well as the central locking electronics inside my key. The issues I have are that I only have one key and the condition of the fob is not in great shape. I was quoted $197 for a brand new key and that seems about right after searching. However, I would prefer to buy a standard key for around $50 and fix the fob cover on the key that I have.

Everything on my current key works, but the cover is worn out and it has a piece of tape over it as the buttons are damaged. It looks like I can buy a new key online that isn't cut and doesn't have any electronics on it. I would like to buy that and simply take the cover from that key and put it on mine.

Am I going to run in to any issues trying to do that? I don't see any slot for popping open my current cover. From what I've seen I just need to jam a screw driver in between the two halves?

Also, it looks like the later first generation cars have a different key than I do. I believe that those keys use inductive charging to charge the fob. I have read that my key has a small battery in it. Does this change in key type coincide with the facelift of the first gen models?

Thank you for your help -- I hope I've done a decent job of describing my questions.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
You can buy an eBay key...make sure it is the right version, early style for the pre-facelift cars, and move the guts of the key, be sure to move the electronics AND the ews chip...looks a bit like a grain of rice....if you are handy you can switch the blade too, it is held in by a pin of sorts,or simply take it to get it cut at a place that can do them....they use a tiny metal cutting router to cut new groves in the shaft...
If you are not handy, you can send your key off too a member, think he has a thread about his "key hospital" or something similar....and for a few $$, he will swap it over.
Me, I would buy a couple spares new from the dealer, and put the worn one away....or at minimum buy the basic key and have it coded to the car....sometimes it can get more $$ than they key cost....the ews computer might need to be swapped if the car has had many keys added....it has a lifetime limit of 10 keys total if I recall right.
And one note....NONE OF THE EBAY KEYS CAN BE MADE TOO WORK, they don't include the right chips to work with the ews system or be programmed to the car....their ONLY value is as spare parts or simply as a "door opener" only key.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:29 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Search this site for 'Valvashon.' He is the go-to guy for what you need.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twoj's
Hello,
I recently joined this forum and this is my first post.
On behalf of everyone, Welcome!

Originally Posted by twoj's
...Everything on my current key works, but the cover is worn out and it has a piece of tape over it as the buttons are damaged. It looks like I can buy a new key online that isn't cut and doesn't have any electronics on it. I would like to buy that and simply take the cover from that key and put it on mine.

Am I going to run in to any issues trying to do that? I don't see any slot for popping open my current cover. From what I've seen I just need to jam a screw driver in between the two halves?

Also, it looks like the later first generation cars have a different key than I do....
Everything you need is in the thread titled Electrical: First Generation Key Refurbishment

And if it is too intimidating for you to do yourself, Val will hook you right up. BUT, I would consider the switch blade key. It's no more expensive and way cooler than the 1st Gen keys.

///Rich

Old 04-14-2016, 01:14 PM
twoj's
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

Thank you for your responses. I read through a different thread about someone swapping the electronics of their key, but in that thread he had removed the coil in the key that is used for charging the fob. I think I also saw somewhere that the first gen keys have a battery in them, so the coil wouldn't be in those. Being at work right now, I can view threads, but our web filter prevents all of the images in posts from loading, so I might have to wait until I get home to continue researching this. I do know that the thread I read through showed a slightly different looking key than the one that I have, so I need to figure out the details in differences between the keys and fobs.

Looks like I have a little bit more reading to do to familiarize myself with the nuances of the pre-facelift first gen models. I am coming from the e30/e36 BMW world, so I feel like I am starting completely over in learning everything there is to know about the Mini Cooper. That is both fun and frustrating sometimes.