R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R50 Cooper Rebuild Let the Fun Begin! :popcorn:

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So after all this work are you going to be putting full coverage insurance on the car?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I saw you used screw type clamps on the CV boots. I just replaced my inner boots and the clamps were a PITA but I thought that screw clamps wouldn't work due to clearance and not getting tight enough, do you know something I don't? I've never dealt with cv boots before.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Racingguy04
I saw you used screw type clamps on the CV boots. I just replaced my inner boots and the clamps were a PITA but I thought that screw clamps wouldn't work due to clearance and not getting tight enough, do you know something I don't? I've never dealt with cv boots before.
I don't think either of those is an issue...as long as there isn't a huge extra tail hanging off of it I think clearance should be fine. As for tight enough - as long as you can turn the screw tight should work. I bought the tool to do the crimp style clamps when I did mine but I don't think it was 100% necessary.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:40 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
So after all this work are you going to be putting full coverage insurance on the car?

Ohhh Yeah!!! Thats for sure!!! Either way its a fun project and not too expensive... Still comes out less than the exhaust I just put on my S4.. lol

Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Racingguy04

Not really like stated before as long as you do not have a long tail and it doesnt snag on anything it will be good...

Old 01-13-2016, 06:50 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Huge update!!!!!!!

FINALLY MAKING SOME HEADWAY HERE SO HERE GOES...

- AFTER ALL THE HARD WORK THE SUB FRAME WAS FINISHED UP AND READY TO BE INSTALLED. I TOTALLY FORGOT HOW HEAVY THIS THING WAS ONCE EVERYTHING WAS INSTALLED. IM SUPER EXCITED TO FEEL HOW TIGHT THE FRONT END IS GOING TO BE AFTER THIS....

- GOT IN THE SEAL THAT WAS HOLDING UP ME PUTTING ON EVERYTHING ELSE.. NOW WE CAN START MOVING FORWARD..

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT NOOOOOOOO!!!! AS USUAL SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!!!

- AS IM TIGHTENING THE BOLTS WITH MY WEAK *** BATTERY DRIVER GUN.. THE BOLT SNAPS.. OHHHH WAIT ITS GETS BETTER...

- I DRILL OUT THE BOLT AND EVERYTHING IS GOING FINE. STICK THE EXTRACTOR BIT IN THE HOLE I JUST DRILLED AND GUESS WHAT.. THAT SNAPS OFF TOO! (KEEP READING)

- I HAD TO GO TO LOWES GET A SMALL TITANIUM DRILL BIT.. DRILL OUT AROUND THE BROKEN BIT.. TAKE A SMALL PICK AND PICK IT OUT... FINALLY GOT IT OUT THE NEXT DAY...

- i GOT NEW BOLTS AND WASHERS AND TORQUED IT ALL DOWN.. FINALLY DONE!

- NEXT WAS PUTTING IN THE GEAR OIL.. I TOTALLY FORGOT BUT BECAUSE ITS EASILY ACCESSIBLE IT WASN'T TOO MUCH OF A PROBLEM. THE PUMP FROM AUTOZONE WORKS WONDERS.

- I CLEANED OF THE RIGHT PART OF THE MOTOR AND FINISHED PAINTING THE BLOCK BETWEEN ALL OF THIS..

- BOLTED UP THE NEW MOUNT AND INSTALLED THE FAN.. I ALSO WENT OUT TO LOWES AGAIN TO GET NEW BOLTS FOR THE MOUNT. THIS CAR WAS MISSING SOO MANY SCREWS AND BOLTS BUT THESE BOLTED UP NICELY..

- FINALLY GOT THE WHEELS ON AND PUT THE CAR ON THE GROUND..

- LAST I WENT TO PUT ON THE NEW ALTERNATOR HOWEVER THE SELLER SENT ME THE WRONG ONE... THE OLD ONE WAS WORKING SO I JUST DECIDED TO SENT THE NEW ONE BACK AND USE THE ONE I HAD...

Old 01-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Wow, nice work on your project. I wish I had half your energy and a 1/4 your ability.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
When that bolt snapped , I was like arrgghhh . Glad it tapped out.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-16-2016, 05:26 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
- FIRST UP ON TONIGHTS LITTLE LIST WAS TO GET THAT WEIRD WATER LINE INSTALLED. ONCE THAT GOT BOLTED UP i WAS ABLE TO INSTALL THE THERMOSTAT AND THERMOSTAT HOUSING.

- NEXT WAS THE HUGE WATER HOSE THAT RUNS FROM THE THERMOSTAT TO THE ELBOW BY THE ALTERNATOR.

- I GOT THE AC COMPRESSOR OUT OF THE BOX AND DECIDED TO PUT SOME OIL IN IT BEFORE INSTALLING IT. ONCE OILED UP i INSTALLED IT AND THAT WAS THAT...

- LASTLY I WENT TO INSTALL THE MANIFOLD GOT IT MOUNTED AND ALL.. HOWEVER I CANNOT FIND THE BOLTS IN MY MAZE OF PARTS AND ZIP LOCK BAGS WITH STUFF IN THEM.. SOO TOMORROW THIS SHOULD BE DONE..

ALMOST TIME FOR IT TO START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Excited, getting closer. Cant find the bolts in the end let me know. 07131500899/

M8X35MM size

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/07131500899/

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Excited, getting closer. Cant find the bolts in the end let me know. 07131500899/

M8X35MM size

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/07131500899/

I found them in a bag all by themselves... lol

Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
ok , thats great. Thought they were gone.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Its been a looooooooooooooong time!!

WOW !!! Its been a while since i have updated and even touched this car.. Started a new job and new school semester and before you know it I was far behind... Couple new updates:

- Installed the new Intake... Now the reason for this was because the OEM Air Cleaner assembly was destroyed in the accident. I didn't want to pay $200.00 for a new one so I ordered a Ebay kit.. (PAIN IN THE REAR) it needed a little modifications but it fit.

- JUMPED ON EBAY LOOKING FOR NEW HOODS AND FOUND A USED COOPER S HOOD FOR 250.00 WITH EVERYTHING. ONLY CATCH?? I HAD TO DRIVE TO NORTH CAROLINA TO GET IT. WE MADE IT INTO A WEEKEND TRIP AND PICKED IT UP.

- I WENT TO START THE CAR AND IT DID NOT FIRE.. WELL FIRST THING WAS MAYBE ITS NOT GETTING FUEL.. I WAS CORRECT THE FUEL PUMP WAS NOT SENDING FUEL TO THE FUEL RAIL. I ENDED UP TAKING OUT THE FUEL PUMP AND ORDERED A NEW ONE. SHOULD BE INSTALLED THIS WEEKEND.

- ORDERED SOME NEW HEADLIGHTS AND THE REST OF THE REMAINING PARTS. NOW ITS TIME TO FINISH UP AND GET THIS THING PAINTED.. SHOULD HAVE SOME MORE UPDATES WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK..

Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad you hopefully figured out the no start issue.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-24-2016, 10:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by MazMini
WOW !!! Its been a while since i have updated and even touched this car.. Started a new job and new school semester and before you know it I was far behind... Couple new updates:

- Installed the new Intake... Now the reason for this was because the OEM Air Cleaner assembly was destroyed in the accident. I didn't want to pay $200.00 for a new one so I ordered a Ebay kit.. (PAIN IN THE REAR) it needed a little modifications but it fit.

- JUMPED ON EBAY LOOKING FOR NEW HOODS AND FOUND A USED COOPER S HOOD FOR 250.00 WITH EVERYTHING. ONLY CATCH?? I HAD TO DRIVE TO NORTH CAROLINA TO GET IT. WE MADE IT INTO A WEEKEND TRIP AND PICKED IT UP.

- I WENT TO START THE CAR AND IT DID NOT FIRE.. WELL FIRST THING WAS MAYBE ITS NOT GETTING FUEL.. I WAS CORRECT THE FUEL PUMP WAS NOT SENDING FUEL TO THE FUEL RAIL. I ENDED UP TAKING OUT THE FUEL PUMP AND ORDERED A NEW ONE. SHOULD BE INSTALLED THIS WEEKEND.

- ORDERED SOME NEW HEADLIGHTS AND THE REST OF THE REMAINING PARTS. NOW ITS TIME TO FINISH UP AND GET THIS THING PAINTED.. SHOULD HAVE SOME MORE UPDATES WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK..
Well done, looks pretty awesome as a roads racer like that.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:59 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Its been a while!!!!!

WOW!! ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I TOUCHED THIS CAR BUT HERE ARE SOME UPDATES. I WENT BACK OUT INTO THE GARAGE AND SPENT ABOUT 4 HOURS ON THE CAR ..

- FIRST I GOT THE HOOD FITTED AND RAN THE ELECTRICAL UNDER THE HOOD. STILL HAVE TO DO THE PLUMBING FOR THE WINDOW WASHERS..

- NEXT I FITTED THE WHEEL WELLS AND ASSEMBLED THE FAN, RADIATOR AND CONDENSER TO THE MAIN SUPPORT AND DID A TEST FIT.... MADE SURE IT CLEARED EVERYTHING.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Wow its like a throw back to the production line. Looking good.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:10 AM
Passatrs4
Neutral
Great Job on the rebuild. This post has me glued to my computer for the past couple of days. can't wait for the next post.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I know, me too.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:54 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Almost Done!!!!!!!!!

EXCITING TIMES AS IT COMES DOWN TO THE END.... !! LETS GET TO SOME UPDATES..

- RAN THE FAN WIRE LOOM AND USED SOME HOME DEPOT SPECIAL TO KEEP IT ALL NICE AND TIDY..

- CONNECTED UP THE RADIATOR HOSES TOP AND BOTTOM

- FITTED THE FRONT CRASH BAR AND WAITING FOR COUPLE NUTS TO COME IN....

NEXT UP TEST FITTING THE BUMPER AND INSTALLING THE HEADLIGHTS AND WINDSHIELD WASHERS AND PLUMBING FOR THE WASHERS..

Old 04-01-2016, 07:56 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
The light at the end of the tunnel! So close.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-01-2016, 01:54 PM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
The light at the end of the tunnel! So close.
yes!!! Cant wait!

Old 04-03-2016, 11:49 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Lights Lights Lights!!!!

LIGHTS LIGHTS LIGHTS

- INSTALLED THE HEADLIGHTS WITH THE HID KIT

DEPOT HEADLIGHTS WITH A 6K HID KIT

TEST FITTED THE HID KIT IN THE ONE GOOD FOG LIGHT I HAD.. (WAITING ON THE NEW DRIVERS SIDE TO COME IN)..

Old 04-06-2016, 07:57 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
- AFTER THE ACCIDENT I NOTICED THE WIPE ARM BROKE OFF AND I FINALLY GOT AROUND TO INSTALLING THE NEW ARM.

- FINALLY WANTED TO DO A TEST FIT WITH THE BUMPER AND THE HOOD.. STILL WAITING ON A FEW PARTS (BUMPER LIGHTS AND FOG LIGHTS AND BRAKE VACUUM LINES) BUT SO FAR SOO GOOD HAD TO TAKE THE HEADLIGHTS OUT TO INSTALL THE HID KITS.. THIS CAR HAS MORE COLORS THAN ANYTHING ELSE ON THE STREET.. IM ABOUT A WEEK AWAY FROM DRIVING IT ON THE STREET!!!!!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Nice , , its a little multiple color right now but its taking shape.

Quick Reply: R50/53 R50 Cooper Rebuild Let the Fun Begin! :popcorn: