R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI's out... Who's in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 03:33 PM
H&J
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My vote: '04 MCS.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:15 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 482 Likes on 339 Posts
Why not wait for the 05's??? Only a couple more months off. My 03 has given me no problems, whatsoever. Still on windshield #1. No yo-yo. This car is bound to be my 'make it really crazy' project after the warranty is gone.

I think American auto makers are starting to get the point, a bit. One I'm definitely going to test drive when it comes out...

Having owned a v-8 Trans Am, I know Pontiac had some quality issues, but so does MINI. Solstice is slated to go on sale summer 2005 as an '06 model. Base price 20k.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:28 PM
jinubob81
4th Gear
bmw 1 series
audi a3
(i second this) the rx-8

i will say, mini without nice sticky street tires or rear sway bar (amongst other things) will be booted by an rx-8 in handling. that car is just amazing. imo, of course.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
We test drove the RX8 when we were MINI shopping. If both were the same price, we might have bought the RX8, but for the price difference the MINI was way better. If price is a concern get an 05 MINI w/LSD. If not, the RX8 is very cool. If you want to haul stuff, buy a truck.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
2Cool
4th Gear
Having owned an Evo, I much prefer the MINI. I covered the many and varied reasons in several past posts, mainly its a quality issue and lack of dealer warranty support.

Might lean toward a new S2000, mostly due to their handling and feel plus autocross use, or even an Elise... if I could get the wife to buy into the idea of a $40K+ car that would have a hard time hauling anything more than 1.5 average people.

My predilection may also lean toward the new Mustang GT, totally new platform, likely will be much fun in F-stock racing, but soon will be as common on the roads as belly buttons are under t-shirts.

I also like the R32, albeit an aging platform it is still a nice looking car that is supposed to be a much nicer daily driver than Evo or STi.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:42 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
The 2 new hottest rides coming soon;

Lotus Elise. Unreal handling, bulletproof Toyota drivetrain, exclusive ($40k)

Pontiac Solstice. Bulletproof Ecotec engine, can service anywhere, and great styling ($20k).

Here are some pics...

The Lotus Elise

Pontiac Solstice

Old 05-28-2004, 10:23 PM
kdmackay
Neutral
>>We test drove the RX8 when we were MINI shopping. If both were the same price, we might have bought the RX8, but for the price difference the MINI was way better. If price is a concern get an 05 MINI w/LSD. If not, the RX8 is very cool. If you want to haul stuff, buy a truck.

I agree. I almost bought an RX-8 before picking an '04 MCS. Test driving the RX was about as much fun as I've had driving a car. I was grinning and laughing the entire time. The performance is outstanding and I just love that beep at the 9K redline.

However, it's $5K more than an MCS and gets terrible gas mileage, mid teens in real life. For me, the combo looked like about $100 more per month of cash outflow. In addition, I have read it has an annoying tendency to foul its plugs and need to be towed if you turn it off when the engine is not yet warm. I have three cars and a single lane driveway, so the prospect of fully warming up the car each time I swap them around was beyond the pale for me.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:23 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a used air-cooled 911.

They're bulletproof! Plus, they have an amazing amount of space.

Old 05-29-2004, 08:16 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
The used 911 is a great suggestion. They're keepers. My faves are:

Subie Forrester 2.5xt. You said you wanted more storage and I'd jump on this before the WRX wagon. Supposedly has a smaller turbo that gets rid of the annoying WRX lag, and a much more tractable power band. Second Subaru choice would be the STI--how can you not love this?

Infiniti G35 Coupe. I would only consider the 6-speed coupe. A friend test-drove the Auto and the sedan before buying his and said that neither were as much fun as his manual box coupe.

I wouldn't buy an EVO. I haven't read a review yet that says that they're good every day drivers.

The Golf R32, for the same reasons others have listed.

A used Audi S4. You can find them cheap, they're entertaining, and gorgeous. May have the same reliability problems so I'd research more.

Best of luck in your search,

Jeff

Old 05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
MGear
5th Gear
My vote would be for that AWD Golf!

Old 05-29-2004, 11:43 AM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>I've always been a Dodge guy before my MINI but I love the lines of the small VW's, very clean and neat, I hate busy cars (think Santa Fe's).

Old 05-30-2004, 06:07 AM
mikeoconnor1
2nd Gear
What a coincidence. My wife drives a New Beetle as well. We are expecting our first child in October. I plan on keeping my MINI while she will replace the Beetle with a CPO A4 sometime next year.
You problem is different though. The MINI is giving you fits. Since the resale is doing so well, trying another one might be worth it.

If I could not get another MINI, I would consider the following (personal preference of course). BMW 3 series, Acura RSX, VW R-32, A4. The BMW and Audi would have to be CPO to fit in my price range of mid to upper 20's.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:28 PM
seashelly
4th Gear
If you and your wife-to-be are planning on starting a family anytime soon (or not taking precautions ), look into something with 4 doors! Especially if Junior will be going to daycare everyday. I know you can make it work with a 2-door, but it can be a huge PITA, especially if you're trying to let sleeping baby sleep, or if the weather is bad. And, baby stuff takes up a lot of room when you're going any where.

good luck,
Shelly

Old 05-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
My definite first vote goes to the new 2005 MINI. It has got to be improved; what with the myriad of new options.

However, since no one has mentioned it: what about one of those new Saab 9-2x cars. It is based off the subaru wrx, but has niceties such as xenons and leather. This might be a shot in the dark but, no one mentioned it as an option for you yet.

Old 05-31-2004, 03:08 PM
IanF
6th Gear
I am a long-time wagon fan, so my opinion is somewhat skewed. Personally, I dislike 4-door sedans...

Anyway, I really thought about a MINI before ordering my TDI last year. While the MINI is a great car, I simly needed something bigger and got better mileage.

My other choices were a RSX Type S - I had a '91 Integra for 7 years and traded it in with 229k miles on it. It had some age-issues, but 229k miles out of the original clutch ain't nothing to laugh at. And I beat the **** out of that car... Again, the RSX lost out due to size (plus JerseyGirl would have had a sour face...)

WRX - bad gas mileage. The STI is even worse. I know a guy with one and he gets mileage in the high-teens. Even less if he lays into the throttle. Slightly better to live with than an EVO

EVO - Well, every review I've read says the car put up great numbers, but is horrible to live with.

R32 - I lust after this car. If super unleaded wasn't $2.30/gallon around here (compared to $1.65 for diesel) I'd be fighting with myself not to get one. I don't know why everyone complains about it being an expensive Golf. For my part, I absolutely love the interior in my TDI. It feels and looks much nicer than any other $20k car I've sat in. Add the killer seats the R32 has to it... oh boy...

Used A4... Well, I had a '98 Avant... engine blew up on the drive home from the dealer... granted, it was a really nice car for the 3 months I drove it and I might consider another one, but only after brushing up on my mechanicing skills to repair it. At that, I would probably lean towards a used S4 Avant (2.7T not the newer V8 model). Also, AWD kills gas mileage... Granted, you'll need something else to drive during the Winter if it snows where you are... But that engine... my lord, that engine is intoxicating... the power... the sound... I never listen to the radio when driving JerseyGirl's "other" car... That engine is all the music I need to hear and alone will forgive the sins of the rest of the car (see my sig).

Old 05-31-2004, 04:05 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
"I had a '91 Integra for 7 years and traded it in with 229k miles on it. It had some age-issues, but 229k miles out of the original clutch ain't nothing to laugh at. And I beat the **** out of that car..."

229K on the original clutch -- now that's impressive!

Old 05-31-2004, 04:17 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
Matrix or Vibe

Old 05-31-2004, 05:22 PM
ted8597
1st Gear
>>Well, I've finally snapped. It got to me when I pulled out of the dealer, after being there to fix a leak coming from the high-mount brake light and cold-start problem, when another windshield went... doesn't help that this morning I still had the cold-start problem.
>>
>>In any case, I've decided that once the warranty expires, I can't deal with the weekly/monthly trip to the dealer. So, very VERY , but I've got to sell her.
>>
>>Maybe you fellow MINIacs can help me choose a new beast to burden.
>>
>>Three choices thus far, please feel free to add if you have any other suggestions:
>>
>>A) STI
>>B) Evo
>>C) ?? 04 MINI ??
>>
>>I posted something similar over on a WRX forum, and a guy that owns an 04 MINI and an STI, basically said that if he had to choose a fun car, the MINI would be it. Problem is, I also have to start thinking practically. My wife-to-be drives a New Beetle. So between that and the MINI, there's about 18 cubic feet of cargo space... actually, the MINI ain't bad, but in most instances, its only a two-seater.
>>
>>So, let the suggestions/comments fly. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>-Chris

Lincoln Expedition

Old 06-01-2004, 05:03 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
Either 05 MINI or RX8, in that order. I almost got the RX8, but easily chose the MINI because I believe the MINI is an instant classic, with this comminity here and local clubs, etc., and after considering the following of loyal original Mini owners and fans.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:17 AM
Storm180
3rd Gear

>>I agree. I almost bought an RX-8 before picking an '04 MCS. Test driving the RX was about as much fun as I've had driving a car. I was grinning and laughing the entire time. The performance is outstanding and I just love that beep at the 9K redline.
>>
>>However, it's $5K more than an MCS and gets terrible gas mileage, mid teens in real life. For me, the combo looked like about $100 more per month of cash outflow. In addition, I have read it has an annoying tendency to foul its plugs and need to be towed if you turn it off when the engine is not yet warm. I have three cars and a single lane driveway, so the prospect of fully warming up the car each time I swap them around was beyond the pale for me.
>>

The RX-8s still do that? I thought it was only the 2nd generation RX-7s, because of the way they positioned the fuel injectors.

You also forget that rotary engines burn decent amounts of oil naturally, and the insurance on an 8 is much more than a MINI.

That said...I'd still buy one if I couldn't swing the Elise.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:51 AM
IanF
6th Gear
>>229K on the original clutch -- now that's impressive!

And if I still had it, it would have about 270k.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:08 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
>>Matrix or Vibe

My dad got the vibe for his commuting car with the AWD option. The ride is sporty compared to most comparable cars. Its one of the few "SUVs" that doesnt pretend to be a truck. Its a solid car with a decent power that doesnt sit high but provides plenty of versatility. Decent gas mileage. All in all, the car is nothing special but it might be worth a test drive.

P

Old 06-01-2004, 09:43 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Sounds like you need an '05 S with JCW, LSD, and a luggage rack. :smile:

You can test drive other cars 'til the cows come home (I did), but the Mini's (1) light weight, (2) stiff suspension, (3) super-rigid body, (4) short wheelbase, and (5) quick steering ratio make nearly everything else with a rear seat feel like a Taurus. Maybe a different story on the track at the limit but, for real-world driving, the Mini rules.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:12 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
[font=BMWTypeRegular][font=BMW Helvetica Light]I’m with MINI USA. I’m so sorry to read about these problems with your MINI. We are here to work with you and your MINI dealer, and we'd really like to help. If you'd like our assistance, please phone us at 866 ASK.MINI and mention Reference # 200416800537 so that we can help you more efficiently..[/font][/font]

Old 06-16-2004, 03:55 PM
ocho9
3rd Gear
When I turned my MINI back in I spent a month test driving cars. The Subarus are great cars but handling is nothing like a MINI. Not only is the handling sloppy but they really don't offer much more room. My feeling is if you are going with something with less handling it might as well be big enough to get some stuff in it. The Subarus just don't fit into that. The new Mazda 3 wagon does handle a little better than the Subarus but also remember it is basically a Ford Focus. I really didn't find anything with handling and low price. I ended up with the Honda Element. The handling was the best for the siz SUV it is and I got a really good price. So far I am a month in and no trips to the dealer for warranty work. How odd is that.

Quick Reply: R50/53 MINI's out... Who's in?