R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 01:35 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed the A/C doesn't always seem to work as it should. I've been unable to turn the A/C on, on at least three differet occassions.So, I'm curious - Is there a sensor on the doors, seats or somewhere else within the vehicle that triggers the A/C or is this something I should look into having checked by the dealer?

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2004, 04:18 PM
wendy
1st Gear
Are you turning on the AUTO or are you just turning the AC on. There is a sensor on the dash of your car that looks like a purple bump. Also there are two different types of controllers on the mini. Does yours have the dial in the middle with the temp that you turn up and down. Do you have the air coming out at your face or your feet or no where. On mine you have to pick where it is coming out at. Do you have the recycle air button on. That will make it seem like the AC is running harder. Let me know if this helps any.

Old 05-19-2004, 04:53 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
>>Are you turning on the AUTO or are you just turning the AC on.

I've tried both and neither seems to work.

>>There is a sensor on the dash of your car that looks like a purple bump. Also there are two different types of controllers on the mini. Does yours have the dial in the middle with the temp that you turn up and down.

It has a dial in the middle. I run the air even in the Winter, so I made sure it came with Auto A/C.

>>Do you have the air coming out at your face or your feet or no where.

No where. I have to stop the car, pull the key out of the ignition, get out of the car then get back in the car to turn it on.

>>On mine you have to pick where it is coming out at. Do you have the recycle air button on.

There are a lot of trucks en route to and from work (between Long Beach, San Pedro and Wilmington), so I always run it with recycle on so I don't have to inhale all that diesel exhaust.

>>That will make it seem like the AC is running harder. Let me know if this helps any.

Despite not really wanting to it sounds like I may need to schedule a visit the dealer's service dept.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2004, 07:39 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>No where. I have to stop the car, pull the key out of the ignition, get out of the car then get back in the car to turn it on. <

This is interesting, if you stop and pull the key out of the ignition then reinsert the key and start the car the AC won't work? Only if you get out of the car and get back in the car will it work? Strange how the AC recognizes that you got out of the car and got back in. Even then the AC blows no where?

I'd say a trip to the dealer to explain this is in order.

Good luck.
:smile:

R.E.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:05 AM
night_shifter
1st Gear
>>I've noticed the A/C doesn't always seem to work as it should. I've been unable to turn the A/C on, on at least three differet occassions.
>>

That happened to me a few weeks back. Turned on the car & noticed the AC unit was off. Tried turning on but it was dead. No lights at all lit on the unit.

Turned off the car, pulled the key out, put back in, and restarted the car. This time the AC came back on like normal. I'm hoping it was a one time glitch.

Dan