R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 to upgrade or not to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 03:19 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I have an '02 MCS that I bought used. I am not sure what version of the ECU software I have. I have and appointment for some other stuff on Tuesday May 4th and I am wondering if I should get my ECU update (assuming it hasn't been updated already).

I am also unclear wheather or not I have any sort of stumble. My experiense with manual transmisions is limited. The car does seem to occasionally bog down in first gear from standing start. I am unclear if this is driver error or an actual stumble.

Should I upgrade?

Old 04-26-2004, 03:40 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, that's a tough one. I'm assuming you've read all of the "stumble" threads here on NAM, so you have read (literally) about 500 posts about what the stumble feels like (and the yo-yo...a somewhat related issue). But that said, if you are new to a manual transmission, it would be VERY hard to tell whether what you're feeling at launch is a bonified stumble or just your lack of finesse with the clutch.

If I had to choose a pathway for you, I'd say that you should TRY to get your dealer to verify what version of the ECU software you have...and then store that info away for future reference (you may want to post back here to tell us too). But don't actually get upgraded. In general, it's best to NOT upgrade unless you have an actual problem...and since it's not clear that you have a problem, I'd say sit tight. There's a pretty good chance that there'll be a MINI-mandated upgrade at some point in the next 4 years (i.e, during your warranty) and that they'll simply do it for you. Or, if you begin to notice a problem, you can request the upgrade.

Good luck!