R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Group buy on cravenspeed dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Cruzer214
I do not see a place to enter coupon code on checkout page. I enter the code on the cart page with nam in capitals and lower case with no success ..

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
If your having trouble just put the code in the notes section and we will apply the discount before processing the order.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Last edited by astroBlackMetallic_Mini; 05-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM
fchris
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astro, If you do the math the discount is 16%, not 10%. Their regular price is $74.95. If you take 10% it that figure it's $7.50. 16% if 74.95 is $12.00, making the discounted price of $62.95 which was the price with the discount. $74.95-$12.00=$62.95

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
I'm sorry, but 10% is a crappy discount, especially since I've gotten almost 50 people potentially lined up to buy these dipsticks.

Not sure why Way is "taking charge" of this thing, since I contacted Craven directly and started this thing.

I have not heard back from Craven yet, but I'll be contacting them tomorrow regarding this new development.

Unless I / we get a REAL discount directly from Craven, I'll pass...

I agree... those $12 don't seem like enough for all the effort. There are 5 pages of people saying yes to this group buy (103 posts some of which obviously arent people who will buy). but even if they only made 50% of their normal profit margin that would be like selling (however many buy * .5) of them in one day. Maybe give us some tiers? 10 or more 16% 25 or more 20% 45 or more 35%

Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
OK, 16% is good if it includes the Shipping; Not so good if it does not.

Lets see if "ABM_Mini" gets Craven to include the shipping also !

Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fchris
Astro, If you do the math the discount is 16%, not 10%. Their regular price is $74.95. If you take 10% it that figure it's $7.50. 16% if 74.95 is $12.00, making the discounted price of $62.95 which was the price with the discount. $74.95-$12.00=$62.95
I would imagine that a vendor would handle this as it would be more fair and easier that way. If CS sold the dip sticks on their own it would not make he numerous vendors that carry their product happy. If the supplier is undercutting all of its vendors than what is the use in having a vendor. The vendor gets screwed out of a potential deal and CS limits their market.

As far as the discount goes. Why not be happy for a discount? Instead of complaining it's not enough, just don't get one...or be happy any discount is given at all.

This is just like my workplace. We get a meal provided by our employer on both shifts. People complain that they don't like the food, it's free, they don't force us to eat it. If I don't like the food I bring my own or go out.

Let's just all be greatful...

/stepping off of soap box now

Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good discount, and I will be glad to take it. I already have one of these dipsticks, and am very pleased with it. When I was traveling, I could just pull into a gas station, start filling the tank, and check the oil without all the nonsense voodoo tricks that the OEM requires to get an accurate reading. It's one of the cheapest 'mods', especially since it has the potential to save the engine by making it easy and accurate to keep an eye on the oil level. Let's see.... It's one nice dinner out. It's four tickets to a movie. It's less than one ticket to Disneyland. If it helps me to keep my maintenance up to date and save me from problems down the line, heck yes I want it!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I am appreciative of the discount and they didn't have to "play" when the group buy was requested. I'm really, really appreciative. In my mind, the piece is an expensive do-dad, the pros and cons of which have been hashed over very well. But I would have hoped that if the group buy was something any vendor wanted to embark upon, the end result would make the buyer feel at least that it was a "deal." Yes, $12 is $12 but it is still only $12. I'm sure with the cost of small runs the stick is not cheap to produce, and there may not be a lot in it, but I just don't feel the love. Something along the lines of 20% and free shipping is something that could give me a warm fuzzy. Heck, free shipping at 16% makes me happy. I'd like to have one of these, I really would because I like do-dads and I'm able to read the stock stick so I'm really on the fence for this one for just one piece. I thought and hoped this might be a good opportunity to equip all 3 in our family with it. Put another way, its just as hard to part with $62.95 as it is to part with $74.95, plus $6.00 shipping. In that price range, for me, $12 does not make or break a deal. Peace out.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
I am appreciative of the discount and they didn't have to "play" when the group buy was requested. I'm really, really appreciative. In my mind, the piece is an expensive do-dad, the pros and cons of which have been hashed over very well. But I would have hoped that if the group buy was something any vendor wanted to embark upon, the end result would make the buyer feel at least that it was a "deal." Yes, $12 is $12 but it is still only $12. I'm sure with the cost of small runs the stick is not cheap to produce, and there may not be a lot in it, but I just don't feel the love. Something along the lines of 20% and free shipping is something that could give me a warm fuzzy. Heck, free shipping at 16% makes me happy. I'd like to have one of these, I really would because I like do-dads and I'm able to read the stock stick so I'm really on the fence for this one for just one piece. I thought and hoped this might be a good opportunity to equip all 3 in our family with it. Put another way, its just as hard to part with $62.95 as it is to part with $74.95, plus $6.00 shipping. In that price range, for me, $12 does not make or break a deal. Peace out.
16% plus free shipping is probably most, if not all, of the profit. Reminds me of the old joke, "we sell each one at a loss but we make it up in volume".
I DO 'feel the love' because I don't expect a vendor to give away parts just because of a group buy. But then, I'm a small business owner too, and I know how it is from that side. The dipstick is well made, machined, and powder coated. It's not a cheap item to make.
Thank you, Way and Craven. My order is coming today. :-)

Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JoanieB
16% plus free shipping is probably most, if not all, of the profit. Reminds me of the old joke, "we sell each one at a loss but we make it up in volume".
I DO 'feel the love' because I don't expect a vendor to give away parts just because of a group buy. But then, I'm a small business owner too, and I know how it is from that side. The dipstick is well made, machined, and powder coated. It's not a cheap item to make.
Thank you, Way and Craven. My order is coming today. :-)
I'm in nearly perfect agreement with you JoanieB. If I buy 3, I save $36 and hopefully some shipping. I had hoped there was more room in the cost to retail ratio that we would see a little more give is all. One rarely knows the true markup of an item and certainly, Craven is passing a deal off to Way for him doing this. He probably volunteered and kudos to him. And Way still needs to make it worthwhile for the business. Perhaps there is the 4%? Who knows. You really like your dipstick though, huh?

Old 05-10-2013, 07:17 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
I really do like it, Mike. I hated the stock one. Even my son, who is a mechanic, disliked it. The Craven stick is so much easier to use! And an accurate reading...the first time... is worth it! If you have a maintenance routine, this will be a relief to you, especially if the stock stick is annoying for you.
I love it so much, I even made a video and put it on YouTube about how easy and smoothly it works. And other club members who try it, often order one too. :-)

Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
I'm in nearly perfect agreement with you JoanieB. If I buy 3, I save $36 and hopefully some shipping.
Yes if you buy 3 we will combine the shipping and it will only be $6 to ship them all together.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Blayne
2nd Gear
WTF, they don't have a shipping method to my area?? How about put it in an envelope and put it in the mail. I live in Canada, not Greenland!!!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:32 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Blayne
WTF, they don't have a shipping method to my area?? How about put it in an envelope and put it in the mail. I live in Canada, not Greenland!!!
Did you email them and ask them first?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:32 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
I think it is awesome that Astro is looking out for us, and that he has been looking out for all of you. As you have seen in the thread, he contacted us a few weeks ago about a group buy, and we wanted to help out. We do not run group buys, for some of the reasons that folks had guessed at earlier in the thread here. Namely, we would not be where we are today without the support of our vendors. So, if I started setting up group buys or other sales for you guys, then people like Way who have invested in our products would not be able to sell them.

So, because of and thanks to Astro's hard work we offered a special buy to our vendors, and Way has cut into his own margin to help out those on this thread who were interested in a pretty rare discount on a CravenSpeed product.

We really appreciate your interest and support of our product! Thank you!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think that he will ship to you. Only US orders... Been burned a few times and it became a hassle.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
zre
4th Gear
I would be interested also

Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes if you buy 3 we will combine the shipping and it will only be $6 to ship them all together.
There's some love! Count me for 3 then.

Does that put us over the top by chance?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to let you all know about something that just happened. This Group Buy got me off my butt to ask a question that has bugged me. I have a Craven Speed dipstick and have liked it. I had a question about it and emailed Kellen at Craven Speed. Within 18 minutes I had a response and a resolution to an issue that I was having (NOT with the product, just something that bothered me). I have NEVER had that great of an experience with customer service from a company before. I have several Craven Speed items and will continue to do business with them and their vendors.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Salbotehcow
1st Gear
I got a blemished Platypus mount ($50 cash) for my R56 from the guy in the tiny white Craven Speed tent at MOTD 11 this year. I will be damned but I can't find a blemish on it, and hell who cares its behind my license plate. I was completely happy to get $10 off, I don't see how you can really expect more than 10% off on a product that cost less than a $100.

Craven Speed and WMW have pretty much locked down my $$ for as long as they have businesses. They are good people running good businesses, that in its self these days is rare, let alone to have them both be in the MINI community is a big boon to all of us.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
We don't want our friends in the Great White North to be left out. I can ship to Canada. PM me and we'll get you taken care of.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
To everyone who is ordering:
Don't be surprised when the little box shows up in a padded envelope. It comes coiled up, at least the Gen 2 does.

And make sure to let some of your MINI friends and fellow club members pull it out of the channel, in person. The look on their faces is great!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kellen
I think it is awesome that Astro is looking out for us, and that he has been looking out for all of you. As you have seen in the thread, he contacted us a few weeks ago about a group buy, and we wanted to help out. We do not run group buys, for some of the reasons that folks had guessed at earlier in the thread here. Namely, we would not be where we are today without the support of our vendors. So, if I started setting up group buys or other sales for you guys, then people like Way who have invested in our products would not be able to sell them.

So, because of and thanks to Astro's hard work we offered a special buy to our vendors, and Way has cut into his own margin to help out those on this thread who were interested in a pretty rare discount on a CravenSpeed product.

We really appreciate your interest and support of our product! Thank you!

That's great Kellen, if I buy a dipstick can I get the same 16% off on the three parts I need for my FlexPod set up too?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 PM
jmc31100
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perfect tinning for me. Seeing as my MINI is only 1 month old I have just begun my oil checking days.

Ordered and shipped!

Thanks Way & Craven!

-John

Old 05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered!

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Quick Reply: R50/53 Group buy on cravenspeed dipstick?