R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Information Overloaddddddddddd

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 03:46 PM
ohmab
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so for 3 months I have been searching and speccing my future '05 MCS, now after reading these boards, and the MINI2 boards I am really starting to worry about reliability and build quality issues. Am I just driving myself nuts????? The problem being, that my dealer is about 50 miles away - which could become a major pain in the butt if I have to visit too often. I have even (please forgive me) test driven a could of other cars, and NOTHING comes close to the pure pleasure and fun I had test driving the MINI! HELP....My brain is hurting....... :???:

Old 03-22-2004, 03:51 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've got a bunch of enthusiasts here on this board. Entusiasts tend to be more picky and nit-picky about things.

Also people without problems tend not to be as vocal about not having problems as are people who are frustrated with their problems which tend to be the vocal ones.

Take those two points into consideration.

Old 03-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Pound
1st Gear
I am in the same boat as you my friend. The only difference is I will need to sell my ’96 328ic before May, my delivery date of my MCS. I am afraid that I will sell my car and then get as stumble’n - yo-yo crazed mini that I will want to drive off a cliff while wishing I had my convertible back. Arrrggghhhh…

my brain hurts too...

LB

Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Teampajn
4th Gear
This forum helps people with problems. That's what it's here for. I've had mine for almost a year and have not had any problems other than little things. If you get a group of several thousand people that own a particular car there will be many people that will have the same sorts of gripes. And alot of people look for these forums when they are having problems. So there are alot of people that don't even know about these and aren't having problems. So if you like the car get it, because any car is gonna be the same.

Old 03-22-2004, 04:49 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Reliability and build quality are not MINI strong points. I've had several issues just in the few months that I've owned my 04 MCS. And dealer service around here is terrible.

That said, I'm still enjoying the car.

Buy it and enjoy it -- just make sure you get rid of it before the warranty expires! (you can always buy another MCS with a fresh warranty...)

Old 03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
The latest issue of Consumer Reports (April is all about cars) gave MINI a thumbs down in the reliability department, according to a survey of thousands of MINI owners. However, when those same people were asked if they would buy the car again, most said yes.
Guess the driving experience is worth it. My 02 MC has been trouble free and a lot of fun. Maybe you can request a mid week build and hope nobody is hung over too badly!

Old 03-22-2004, 05:23 PM
marky1
Neutral
HI, I went through the same thing you are going through. I test drove it 3 times and after months of thinking about it I went and ordered it. I also stopped coming to all the mini sights after I placed my order because it was too stressfull reading all this stuff. My mini should be in port in nyc today..so hopefully I will have it soon. I just came to this site today and I am getting upset again reading all the bad stuff. The way I see it is that I will deal with what comes along. I also live pretty far away I am in the hudson valley and my dealer is in new jersey..I think you should just order it and stop reading all the negative stuff.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even the boring and reliable Toyota Camry that Consumer Reports raves about has message boards where you can find enthusiasts having problems with their cars

The MINI's do seem to be getting better and better (with the exception of some Yo-Yo MINI's) and I would not let the information overload worry you too much.

Toyota Camry Enthusuast Website

Old 03-22-2004, 06:16 PM
ohmab
1st Gear
Thank you all for your comments! I think that probably every car out there is bound to have problems - some more, some less. I just can't bring myself to buy a snooze mobile (I was a 20 year Honda customer, reliability great - FUN - NONE!) Yes, the MINI's do seem to be getting better and better, and, fingers crossed, hopefully I'll get a good one. If not, there's always roadside assistance and the warranty! Unfortunately, I also have had the experience of being the owner of a Renault Le Car (1980) which blew up after 2 1/2 years! So, after that experience I stuck with the boring but reliable. Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2004, 10:39 PM
resmini
6th Gear
50 miles to the dealer is nothing, mine's 250 miles away. No way I was gonna let that stop me from getting what I wanted. Go for it.

R.E.