R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What option(s) you wish you had on your MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 06:22 PM
mexminime
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have gotten Xenon headlamps and Lapis blue interiors. These are not available for regular Coopers in Mexico, only for the Hot Chili Cooper S

Old 01-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
My MCS is totally perfect for me and I guess it is the light weight version because I left off options in an effort to keep the weight down. Perhaps what makes my MCS special isn't what I got but what I didn't get.

Either way, I love the car!
Mr Bridger is :
Chili Red/White/Stripes
Stock 16" wheels in white
MFSW
Auto AC
DSC
PDC
Fogs - front and rear
Xenons
Leatherette w Silver Dash
Full Aero Kit
Union Jack

My only regret is that I'm not wealthy enough to be able to purchace a 2nd MINI.
I'd love a MINI Cooper with CVT in a cool light color with black roof.
I'd be so happy to have 2 MINIs - a white roof MCS and a black roof MC.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:42 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
probably the HK system even tho im pretty satisfied w/ the stock... (prob cuz i havent experienced anything else)

Old 01-04-2004, 06:53 PM
C4
Banned
Thanks for reminding me how lucky we are.

>>My MCS is totally perfect for me and I guess it is the light weight version because I left off options in an effort to keep the weight down. Perhaps what makes my MCS special isn't what I got but what I didn't get.
>>
>>Either way, I love the car!
>>Mr Bridger is :
>>Chili Red/White/Stripes
>>Stock 16" wheels in white
>>MFSW
>>Auto AC
>>DSC
>>PDC
>>Fogs - front and rear
>>Xenons
>>Leatherette w Silver Dash
>>Full Aero Kit
>>Union Jack
>>
>>My only regret is that I'm not wealthy enough to be able to purchace a 2nd MINI.
>>I'd love a MINI Cooper with CVT in a cool light color with black roof.
>>I'd be so happy to have 2 MINIs - a white roof MCS and a black roof MC.
>>
>>

Old 01-04-2004, 07:04 PM
DOGHOUSE
2nd Gear
Heated Seats......every time my g/f gets in the car I am reminded that I should have got them......hope this ends as the temp goes up!

Old 01-04-2004, 10:07 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
>>Heated Seats......every time my g/f gets in the car I am reminded that I should have got them......hope this ends as the temp goes up! :smile:

Old 01-04-2004, 10:31 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
my mc, i wish i had gotten moonroof. eventually sold that one and got a mcs with moonroof and sports package. later added on alarm, racks, new wheels and tires, and jcw.

wished i had the cloth cause the back does get hot and sweaty against the leatherette.

also wished i coulda gotten rear fogs hooked up at the factory, but it wasn't available anyways. ended up getting it recently though and it came in mighty handy during our periodic rainstorms over the past few weeks.

only other thing i seriously wish i coulda gotten was stay with the stock 16" wheels, although i had sports package.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:44 PM
MINIAZ
Neutral
I wish I had ordered the cruise control. On long drives it can really help with not getting cramps in the foot or leg. :???:

Old 01-04-2004, 11:04 PM
chucho
1st Gear
A sunroof . . .

edited for language by MINIclo

Old 01-05-2004, 06:30 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I wish I had ordered the cruise control. On long drives it can really help with not getting cramps in the foot or leg. :???:

I'm sure this wasn't the case with you, but I think some MINI buyers didn't realize that cruise control wasn't standard. The description "MFSW" did not clarify that it also provided cruise. I noticed that the description on MINIUSA has changed to say MFSW/Cruise control. Several Coopers were ordered as dealer stock at my dealer and they had trouble selling them at least partly because of the lack of this feature. I suppose it could always be added as an aftermarket thing, but it's just not the same.

R.E.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
DesignIt
4th Gear
If I had to buy another MINI I would order the same two options again: The H/K stereo and the MFSW on an MCS. I still wouldn't order any other options.

The only thing I would do differently is not let my dealer (Momentum in Houston) wash the car. So far I've spent 20+ hours buffing with a Porter Cable random orbital buffer and Meguire's professional polishes. I still haven't gotten all of the scratches out that Momentum put in it when they "washed" it. :smile:

DesignIt

Old 01-05-2004, 02:05 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I worked pretty hard on selecting options as there were lots of things I knew I would never need on my MINI. I also wanted to prove I could spend around the same money I would on a typical commuter car but get much more value and fun by buying a MINI.

My car is a pretty basic IB/W Cooper w/ chrome bumpers, sport seats (cloth), leather steering wheel, fogs, dealer alarm.

If I could, I would have gotten a MFSW w/o cruise. The remote radio controls would have been nice to have (especially now that the bluetooth option is out), but I never use cruise.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:14 PM
resmini
6th Gear
>>I worked pretty hard on selecting options as there were lots of things I knew I would never need on my MINI. I also wanted to prove I could spend around the same money I would on a typical commuter car but get much more value and fun by buying a MINI.
>>
>>My car is a pretty basic IB/W Cooper w/ chrome bumpers, sport seats (cloth), leather steering wheel, fogs, dealer alarm.
>>
>>If I could, I would have gotten a MFSW w/o cruise. The remote radio controls would have been nice to have (especially now that the bluetooth option is out), but I never use cruise.

I'm sure there are a few people around who never use cruise control....but trying to sell a car without it is almost as bad as trying to sell one without air conditioning. WHAT! no cruise control? This often ends any attempted sale of a new or used car. Most folks think it's standard on everything. If you drive much on low traffic roads it's great at giving your leg a rest and it can also help you control your speed and possibly avoid a ticket. It should be standard on all cars.

R.E.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:16 PM
02s79fj40
2nd Gear
heated seats. Man I wish I had heated seats. Leather seats that aren't heated suck in the winter in New England. But I got a REALLY good deal on the car used so I can't complain too much.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:14 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
For those who would like to have leather seats and heated seats. Check out this website!!!

I think it's quite reasonable, 2-tone leather for $679 and $50 for 2 heated seats. That's $725 to have leather seats (front and rear) and 2 front heated seats. :smile:

Old 01-12-2004, 12:49 PM
g3
3rd Gear
I wish I would've gotten the sunroof. I didn't use the sunroof on my SUV, but I seem to be driving more w my window down than ever before. I'm happy w everything else. Oh and my next mini will have an aero package.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:53 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

For what it's worth, here are my opinions on the options after 41,000 miles of living with them:

Premium Package
- On Board Computer: Other than the outside temperature, I don't use this at all. Since the outside temperature is the default display if you don't spec the OBC, I would not select this option next time around.
- Auto A/C: I like the Auto A/C and would get it again.
- Sunroof: Mine creaks occasionally and it doesn't get much use in the winter, but it sure is nice come spring and summer. Since I'm getting more serious about autocross weight is a consideration, so it's a toss-up whether I would select the sunroof again.
- Multifunction Steering Wheel: I originally thought I would use the cruise control functions more, but almost never do. I would definitely get the MFSW again though as the radio controls on the back are now one of my most used features.

Sport Package
- 17" S-lites: I would pass on the 17" wheels next time around. I sold mine and now use the 16" v-spokes which preserve the stock appearance and are lighter.
- Performance Run-Flats: The very first thing I would do to the car if I had it to do over again is replace the run-flats with regular tires. The tire change alone improved the acceleration, handling, and ride comfort.
- DSC: I hate it. I drive around with it turned off 90% of the time. If the system just applied the brakes when it detected slipping, it would be a nice addition. However, DSC also cuts power to the engine and I have had a couple of close calls pulling out of parking lots when DSC cut power with rapidly approaching traffic.
- Xenon headlights and Fog Lights: I really like my xenons and would get them again.

Lapis Blue Leather
- I like the leather a lot. That said, now that I have seen the Space Cloth (it wasn't available when I got my car), I wouldn't pay the extra $1250 for the leather.
- The alloy patina finish on the interior was the only finish available at the time I purchase my MINI. I would not get it again. My choice would be the plain silver. I did need to replace two interior trim pieces due to pealing paint. MINI should take strides to improve the interior trim paint adhesion.

Options I wish I had: The Cold Weather Package

My next MINI would be spec'd like this:

Pure Silver / Pure Silver MINI Cooper S
- Cold Weather Package
- Auto A/C
- MFSW
- Xenon Headlights with Fogs
- Space Cloth with the silver interior trim pieces
- possibly the sunroof

Old 01-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Kotchie
1st Gear
My '03 MCS is fairly light on the options, (I found most of the stuff better suited to a high end BMW than a MINI - and very expensive) but I wish I had ordered the heated seats (Toronto was -20 C most of last week - it was like sitting on concrete...).

I wouldn't get the 17" wheels again - I'd spend the $ on some good aftermarket wheels & tires and dump the runflats. (Cellphone & MINI roadside service = I'm not changing any tires anyway...)

Most of the rest of the options are, as someone else called them, 'fluff'!

Old 01-13-2004, 06:36 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I just wish that I didn't have the auto A/C. And I guess I wish I had the rear chrome bumper instead of just the front one (i.e., the way I ordered it ).

Old 01-13-2004, 08:17 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Hmm.. the MINI I get to ride in has about every option except navigation... If I were to order my own, it would be more for fun-driving and I'd want it as light and cheap as possible:

MCS Blk/W w/o sunroof

Options:
Heated seats - I love 'em and don't add much weight. I'd get them installed mainly so the wiring was already in the car.
Cruise Control - I use the CC in my cars almost every day. If I'm on the highway, I probably have it set. I never shut it off. The CC died in my van and it's killing me.

I wouldn't get leather mainly because I would switch the seats out anyway. While good for general driving, I find myself sliding all over the seat when taking corners. I would put in a pair of grippier seats ASAFP. I'd put in aftermarket seat heaters wired into the stock harness.

Wheels would be another quick-change: 16" SSR Comps with grippy tires. :smile:

Old 01-13-2004, 08:47 AM
goin440
6th Gear
SS+.

Even with SS+, the back country roads I commute daily may become too harsh (they're rough now). Didn't get SS+ because its not like I personally need it for improved "commuter performance." Eventually, I would like to experience the MINI on a track where the SS+ would be better felt. But non-SS+ is more than enough handling for my lack of performance driving experience. Realistically, I'm pretty positive I would never "feel" the benefit differences anyway.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:43 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
even tho I take delivery on Saturday, I wish I would have gotten the
driving lights- tho I think I will add them at some point :smile: They
look classy on the Mini...

Aftermarket-
I am also adding the mini-fini armrest myself, rear fog/brakelight
mod, aux input, and (once it's not so DAM cold here) an Alta Intake...
Potentially- I may add an XM direct unit, maybe... Boy those R90 16"
wheels are enticing...

Does this addiction end???????????????????????????????????????????

Old 01-13-2004, 09:50 AM
ecl3x
3rd Gear
maybe this should ought be a new option: a lighter shade of the standard leatherette or maybe a tan leatherette. it would definitely lighten up the dark interior.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:12 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Old 01-13-2004, 06:04 PM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
auto dimming mirror/ rain sensing wipers...

$150 I should have splurged!

Quick Reply: R50/53 What option(s) you wish you had on your MINI?