R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 sometimes mal-functioning rear wiper dealer wont/cant fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometimes mal-functioning rear wiper dealer wont/cant fix

My rear wiper has one of those annoying intermittent problems. When I turn it on, sometimes, and only sometimes, it stops in mid-stroke. I have to turn it off and aon again to get it moving.

I brought it to Hassel and was told that they couldn't fix it because they couldn't get it to malfunction.

So now I have a part-time malfunctioning part that they dealer can't or won't fix. What can I do?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, here in Florida, the only thing the rear wiper is good for is creating a shelf for sand to sit on. Once you fire the wiper up, you get a big mess, and the possibility of a scratched up window. You could always just delete it. It looks clean that way. If you must keep it, unfortunately it sounds like a few possibilities. My first guess would be bad wiring. My second guess would be something wrong with the motor, and my third guess would be something wrong with the switch. I would almost say bypass the last 2 and go with the wiring. Could be a short somewhere in there. I'm not sure about the switch and how BMW's work. If there is some kind of timer in there, that could have gone bad. How much warranty do you have left on the car? You could just wait a little while and see if it goes completely bad, then take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
Sounds like a motor problem to me, sometimes if you hit it with a hammer (I know sounds kinda rough) it helps things line up again and work without a hitch. Same thing if it's seized totally. I took mine off and it's layin around....sell it to you for 35 plus shipping if your interested pm me.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I guess I'll call the dealer again. If they wont do anything about it under warranty, maybe I'll just remove the arm, or hit the motor, or check the wiring, maybe in the spring. Warranty is up May 1st or thereabouts. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Mucho appreciato.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 AM
retroom
4th Gear
Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose. Keep using the rear wiper when it fails have it fixed under warranty.

retroom

Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
The rear wiper has been getting progressively worse, stalling in every mid-stroke yesterday, so I made an appointment to have it fixed (hopefully).

So I'm driving today in yet more snow and rain, and, of course, the rear wiper is working perfectly. I don't focking get it.

You know what's gonna happen? It'll fail completely the week after the warranty is up.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the way it always goes. Hopefully the dealer will fix it. Taking the motor off is not hard though. It's like a 10-15 minute job due to having to remove the hatch trim. You could see if it's not lined up like others have suggested. If the dealer won't fix it, maybe try and find a used motor and replace it yourself. It could be that a wire has pinched somewhere, or the motor is going bad.