R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Just got back from first long road trip!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:25 AM
wantmyMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We put about 1700 miles on Monty last week and he performed like a champ. We went from Maryland to Georgia and back with a lot of driving around in Georgia. The MINI got a nice workout.

Here is a quick review:

Performance: We kept the speed between 70 and 85 the majority of the trip to and from. In GA it was mostly 55 or less. On the trip back we calculated out mpg at just under 33. It probably would have been better had we been traveling 55-65 mph. Monty stayed at the higher speeds with no trouble or strain at all. Passing was a breeze and the couple of times we had to react quickly (a car drifting into our lane) the response was quick and solid. The shifting was smooth and effortless We motored part of the time with the auto AC and part of the time with the top down and windows open. Both were a pleasure.

Comfort: Amazingly comfortable!!! The lumbar in the cloth sport seats is perfect for both my husband and me. We are both fairly short so it hits us just right. Neither one of us felt any need to take stretch breaks which we have always needed on long car trips in every other car we have owned. We weren't fatigued at all ofter a solid 9 hours of driving and only 2 quick bathroom breaks (when I am on my way to visit my Grandson, nothing slows me down). With the windows and top open it was a bit noisy but it wasn't like being in a convertible and being blown to bits. Our luggage fit comfortably with the rear seats down and we had no trouble stretching out as much as we liked. When we were in Georgia we put the baby's car seat in the back seat with no problem.

Fun Stuff: In Maryland our car draws some stares and comments but there are enough MINIs around that it's not that much of an oddity. Augusta, GA is a whole nother story. There was one MINI in my daughter's apartment complex but I didn't another one the entire week. People would come up to us in parking lots and ask questions and comment on how much they liked it. One guy had a for sale sign on his car and he was really interested. It was fun seeing people's reactions. It was especially funny when we would pull onto the Fort Gordon Army base and have to be inspected by the MPs. The first time I didn't know how to open the bonnet and everybody was flocking around trying to figure it out. All the MPs would kind of hesitate in their inspections of other cars and watch Monty for a few minutes.

Negative aspects: HMMMMMMM! The ONLY thing I can come up with is that every flying bug from Georgia to Maryland must have commited suicide on my windshield. I've never picked up that many bugs on any trip, anywhere. I don't know if it has to do with the slant of the windshield or what, but what a mess! There, see, everything was NOT perfect!

It was a great trip, we had a lot of fun in and out of the car - anybody heading in that direction, make sure you stop off at the new Zoo in Columbia, SC - a real treat!!! One of the nicest zoos I have ever visited.

We came home more in love with our MINI than when we left. What a great feeling!

Laurie

Old 09-15-2003, 10:52 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Cheers!
Clover

Old 09-15-2003, 11:22 AM
wantmyMINI
2nd Gear
Why, back to Augusta, of course. Can't stay away from my baby boy for long. They lived with us for his first 6 months and I am going through a long, slow, and painful withdrawal.

After that we'll be taking about a 5 hour drive up into the Western Maryland mountains for an annual fall weekend get-together with a bunch of our friends. We rent a big lakeside house for a 3 day weekend and eat, drink, and make merry.

I really like the term "buggage" gotta remember that one.

Laurie

Old 09-15-2003, 11:51 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laurie-- Nice story! Minis are made for road trips, (so long as you can hold down the amount of stuff you need to take.) I now keep paper towel and a bottle of spray in the boot to keep the windscreen clean. Hate using the smelly cleaner at the gas stations... dripping on my car... uuhg!!!

Old 09-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:smile: :smile: Glad you made it round trip - safe & sound!
donna@dcmetrominis.org

Old 09-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
Thanks laurie for the report! I have friends who live in New Orleans who want me to come down for Thanksgiving and I am hoping to have my MINI by the 2nd week of November. I really like hearing about long drives in the MINI! and the bugs, what's the deal with that? I've found if it's just rained, the bugs are everywhere!