R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Driving like Schuey

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since Beagle brought up the heel toe, I will bring up my question.

In a recent Formula 1 magazine, there was a comparison of Schumachers driving style vs Barachello’s with regard to the effect of using the brake and throttle at the same time to balance the car in a corner. The article was truly amazing since it had telemetry from both cars, at the same time, at the same positions on the track, and showed the Schuey was more effective with his balancing act, showing how the throttle is at say 40%, brake at 60%, and then off to the straight, with the brake still on 5-10% until the car is well under full acceleration, and then having the car flat out, brake coming on, and so on…… Basically, Schuey never takes his foot totally off the gas for a majority of the corners, where Rubens was full off in many places.

Since F1 cars are rear drive, with lots-o-power, it makes sense at least that Schuey would be effective with his dual pedal method, keeping the car that much more in balance, and the numbers did show that.

What effect would this driving style have in a car like the mini? Yes, my brake pads hurt just thinking about it. I have tried testing this method in the Suburban Auto-X series (me driving to the local super market ..hehe) and while the track does not have timing gates, I have noticed that the transition from braking to accelerating can be made much smoother when both pedals are used simultaneously. All you experienced drivers, what think?