R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Distribution Center

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 12:29 PM
TminiS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens at the Distribution Center? How long does it take for them to do what they do? Anybody have info or maybe a website about the Distribution Center in Southern California? Lemme know!!!

Old 09-04-2002, 01:29 PM
smurf
3rd Gear
My dealer said the car had to go through customs. In case anything is found wrong, the car will not pass and has to wait until it is fixed. Sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare.

Old 09-04-2002, 02:25 PM
PatrickH
2nd Gear
Well actually I live just down the road from the distribution center in Port Hueneme.

I went down there one day last week just to check it out...and you wouldn't believe what I saw.

Of course because the walls are so high and they have a guard posted at the gate I had to sneek a peek around back.

When I found a good location to get a view I saw approximately 20 Cooper S's in the lot. In the course of an hour I saw each car run through a slalom course at full speed, then while coasting to a stop they jammed it into reverse and did the whole thing going backwards. It was amazing!! This might also explain the shift linkage problems so many people have been having.

Next, I witnessed each car being subjected to what can best be described as a jump over water. It was right out of an evil kneivel show. While one car was jumping over the water another was racing through it, spraying water everywhere. I know now why my car rattles.

During all this I saw two cars "collapse". They were pushed away, into some kind of garage. A few minutes later they were pushed back out with standard hoods and the S badge removed and replaced with a standard badge.

Finally, after it was all done each worker climbed under the dash and presumedly rolled back the odometers. Covering their tracks I assume.

When they had all finished they all lined up in front of each car, clicked their heels and shouted something in german.

Those german engineers sure are dedicated.

Next time I will have to take a camera.

Old 09-04-2002, 02:25 PM
TminiS
3rd Gear
ya, i just asked mini usa and they said they inspect the vehicle for scratches and dings and remove the packing equipment like. They said if everything goes smoothly it's usually at the DC for a couple days.

Old 09-04-2002, 02:29 PM
TminiS
3rd Gear
I feel so retarded, I believed most of that story until the clicking of the heels. good one.