R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Bye bye Mini CVT . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Peterun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left on a biz trip to Vancouver . . . . . Leaving behind my Pepper/Black CVT. Significant Other started driving it . . . . . to UCLA daily. Looks great in the doctor's lot! Surrounded by Lexi (plural of Lexus). His words: "Doesn't drive like anything else." His '03 E500 sits in our garage now. Cannot pry him out of the MC. Wonder what happens when I return on Friday? Me no want no E500, 302 hp or not! Me perfectly happy in my 115 hp CVT! Peter :evil:

Old 07-07-2003, 12:30 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Well, Peterun:
I think you will have to change the lock on the car or install an aftermarket alarm with kill switch. Otherwise if this all fails just tow away the car when it is parked and deposit it at your mother's house. Put on a car cover and don't say that you towed it. He'll think that it is a senseless random act against humanity and start to drive the E500 again. He'll be busy and soon forget anything about the MINI.

By the way, this plan would not work with a Cooper S because the addiction and withdrawal is more severe. Worse than loosing you internet connection for two days!

After a few days uncover your MC and start driving it. Tell him the police found your car. But by then you have changed all the door locks or put in the different alarm system as above.

Nuff said, Motor on. Doctor's orders.

Old 07-07-2003, 07:59 AM
Peterun
2nd Gear
Sensible words/advice Minihume . . . . But no . . . .Significant Other cannot drive 5 speed. much less 6 speed in the S. I could've avoided all the gyrations you delineate had I not been so shortsighted. I ordered the CVT so that he could drive home during those rare evening occasions whilst I'm in a martini haze. Who would've thought? Which brings up the subject of the Sat. night 10 year commitment party at the Hotel Belair. I could not attend (Vancouver). He now thinks he (in combo with the MC) has Great Parking Karma . . . .Skipped the valet part and landed the MC right on Stone Canyon just across from the hotel. Yeah . . . he thinks this car brings him such mazel. He danced the night away! With whom????? Peter

Old 07-07-2003, 08:10 AM
HARMINI
5th Gear
Ah, tis dangerous to leave the MC keys around when papa is away. I bought my CVT for similar reasons, though it's gin and tonics and not martinis that bring on the haze. I also wanted my partner to be able to share the driving burden for long trips. Well, her first long leg behind the wheel of HARMINI was tooling around in the twisties of NH while we were up there for the MOT meet. She gets this he-he-he.....low laugh going and pronounces, "I could be very dangerous in this". She did take the wheel again for about an hour or so on the ride home, but as soon as I felt rested, I switched back to my rightful place in the driver's seat. I logged about 2500 miles in two weeks in June and without a doubt, my MINI is the most comfortable car I've ever driven for long trips.

Perhaps you'll become a 2 MINI family in the future?

Old 07-07-2003, 11:47 AM
C4
Banned
Our '02 Cooper CVT is my wife's daily driver but I get behind the wheel every chance I get (Mostly on weekends and roadtrips). My wife is already sick and tired of me taking her car and she can't wait for me to get the MCS due (hopefully) in October and leave her Cooper alone!

Old 07-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
You need a 2nd MINI !!!

You should have never let him drive is for more than an hour!!!

It will take Dynamite to blow him out of it!