R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini Mirrors??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 01:38 AM
RustNoMore
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone replaced/augmented the mirrors on their MINI? I'll be getting my MINI in about a week, and one of the few things I was less than thrilled by on the test drive was the visibility using the mirrors. I have only one good eye, this is one of the reasons that I selected the MINI. It's small and much easier to park, and has great visibility... The rearview, however leaves much to be desired (Like a view of the other 1/3 of the rear window for instance).

I Asked at the dealer if there were any other mirrors available, and they said no.. I was also told that just about everyone comments on how poor the existing rearview is. Does anyone know if the "Auto Dimming" mirror is any bigger?
:???:

Old 08-19-2002, 10:05 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
I agree the rearview mirror is cute but almost usless. The first thing I will replace. I havn't heard or seen anything on the autodimming mirror I would like more info also.

Old 08-19-2002, 10:33 AM
C4
Banned
I don't think there is a radical difference unless the size of the optional auto dimming rearview mirror is bigger, which I personally doubt it is. Other than getting a cheap K-mart rearview mirror extension (The ones that mount over the original rearview mirror) I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe there is already an aftermarket MINI rearview mirror that solves the size/field of vision issues.

Regarding the Auto dimming rear view mirror, I currently have one in my '01 Chevy Impala and I love it! Is really convenient. These automatic rearview mirrors have come a long way since the ones thta had the light sensor/electrical motor to move the mirror up and down (Day/night settings) when high beams from a car behind you were detected.

the new mirrors use LCD technology that actually darkens the surface of the mirror automatically...really cool.

I did not get one for the new MINI Cooper as I taught it was kinda pricey (At least in my Chevy the auto dimming mirror includes the trip computer) and since the auto dimming mirror is not a commonly ordered MINI option it might had delayed the production and delivery date of our new Cooper.

Old 08-19-2002, 10:50 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
RustNoMore, from my reading of all the MINI forums, the general consensus is if you set the side mirrors properly, so that you don't see your own MINI in the mirror, the rearview mirror is fine. Get those neck muscles limbered up!

Old 08-21-2002, 04:46 PM
ochichernie
1st Gear
I find the rear view mirror to be too small, too. I like to be able to see a smidgin' of my MINI in my side mirrors, just for reference.

Old 08-21-2002, 05:33 PM
Jay
2nd Gear
There's always a wink mirror if they make one that fits a Mini.

Jay :smile: :smile: :smile: