Queer Owners Club - QoC Club forum for the QoC

Need Opinions on a perceived offensive thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I find it interesting that the term "Gay" is such a perjorative, since when is being gay a bad thing? It used to mean happy, and most gay people I know are..............so maybe he's just saying it's so gay, as in it's so happy?

My wife just posed the question, when did "gay" become a euphemism for homosexual? Did the straight population coin the term, or the homosexual?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

Here's a good quote from that definition: When used with a derisive attitude (e.g. "that was so gay"), the word gay is pejorative (derogatory, derisive, dyslogistic, and contemptuous). While retaining its other meanings, it has also acquired "a widespread current usage" amongst young people, as a general term of disparagement.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:27 PM
mglemans
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC has gotten way out of hand. It's all very lame, oops did I insult the people with a limp. Sorry that was very short sighted of me, oops did I insult the near sighted. Where does it end?. I retarded the ignition on my old bike to compensate for lower octain, my bad. During Christmas season I "Don my gay apparel, opps I put on my nice cloths to go to "Holiday" parties. I liked the explanation for HOMO, High Output Mini Owner, I hope to become one someday. As far as a "doushe" I am not a feminine Hygeine product and inspite of being called one on more than one occasion I was not offended

Last edited by mglemans; 04-25-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:39 PM
mglemans
1st Gear
PS. If I started a White Heterosexual Owners Club would I be a racist and a homophobe??

Last edited by mglemans; 04-25-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:24 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mglemans
PS. If I started a White Heterosexual Owners Club would I be a racist and a homophobe??
Only if you specifically EXCLUDED homosexual, non white people

Old 04-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
On the internet these discussions always seem to bring out the "I'm a straight white male and I see no reason for non-white non-straight non-males, etc to be offended" crowd.
If you are part of the dominant culture you ALREADY belong to an exclusive club!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats offensive to me is, it seems the OP said he was going to remove the ban on the person to which this thread is about and still has seemed to not fulfilled his promise Talk is talk.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
If i may add my .02 without being offensive (which is pretty much impossible these days).

Look were all adults here. If someone uses the word "gay" to descripe something negative and not at an individual then it's no big deal.

The problem I see is that the immature gay people are the first ones to cry foul! oooo! look! look! Did you see that word he used! OMG! How could he MOMMY!!!!

See how immature that looks coming from an adult?
Look guys, the bottom line is weather you like it or not. You chose theis "alternative" lifestyle that is not accepted by the general population. If your going to live it then you better grow some thick skin and stop being so Damn petty about B.S.!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
saturn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by muladesigns1
If i may add my .02 without being offensive (which is pretty much impossible these days).

Look were all adults here. If someone uses the word "gay" to descripe something negative and not at an individual then it's no big deal.

The problem I see is that the immature gay people are the first ones to cry foul! oooo! look! look! Did you see that word he used! OMG! How could he MOMMY!!!!

See how immature that looks coming from an adult?
Look guys, the bottom line is weather you like it or not. You chose theis "alternative" lifestyle that is not accepted by the general population. If your going to live it then you better grow some thick skin and stop being so Damn petty about B.S.!
OK so at least this one started intelligently, then suddenly it plummeted all downhill once we get to the "we chose this alternative lifestyle" remark.
Do your research before making such an asinine comment.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Xiek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mglemans
PC has gotten way out of hand. It's all very lame, oops did I insult the people with a limp. Sorry that was very short sighted of me, oops did I insult the near sighted. Where does it end?. I retarded the ignition on my old bike to compensate for lower octain, my bad. During Christmas season I "Don my gay apparel, opps I put on my nice cloths to go to "Holiday" parties. I liked the explanation for HOMO, High Output Mini Owner, I hope to become one someday. As far as a "doushe" I am not a feminine Hygeine product and inspite of being called one on more than one occasion I was not offended
There is no issue with "I retarded the ignition on my old bike to compensate for lower octain", "Don my gay apparel" you used the correct words for those sentences.

as for the HOMO comment, I personally did not know that it stood for High Output Mini Owner. But I feared, as in the case with your posting that you are purposely being antagaonistic. Perhaps if he had written H.O.M.O.

(new point same thread posting)
Personally this has gotten way out of hand, to address some other issues. As of this post, the mod that banned the other user, has said that the user is no longer banned. As to the exact time he was unbanned, I am not sure of this.

I cannot speak for any other communities, races, religions on what offends them, but the Gay community in general, does have issues with "That's so Gay" to describe things as being stupid, dumb or lame.

Yes, that may be the widely spread and accepted terminology and use of other communities using that term. The movement by the gay community is to stop that use. Are there bigger global issues at hand to deal with? Perhaps. It's the same as using the term Himey to mean cheap, that term came about because Himey was a common Jewish male name, and Jews, are regarded as cheap, or Jewish Lightning to describe an insurance claim fire.

I know that there is no current actual respected studies that prove sexuality is genetic, but I can tell you that I did not choose to be Gay, I dated girls in school, I tried it, found out, didn't really like it. The only choice I made, was to live out of the closet in the open.

Yes I/we started the Queer Owners Club, but it is not exclusive to QUEER ONLY people. We have many allies in the club. You are welcome to start any sort of club that you like.
Part of the reasons for this club, was to build awareness in the MINI community that we are here, and give QUEER people somewhere to go to discuss QUEER issues among other MINI owners.

What has been said that is the past. From here on, if we could try to follow the NAM guidlines especially #2 where "deliberate trolling, baiting or antagonistic behaviour is not tolerated"

I, again personally, love debates and like to debate, as long as they remain civil. I think at some point, this passed the civil stage with some of the comments that have been made. I think that both sides can learn a few things from each other during a civil debate, it's a good way to see others points of view.

So I am asking that we move forward from this point on.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by saturn
OK so at least this one started intelligently, then suddenly it plummeted all downhill once we get to the "we chose this alternative lifestyle" remark.
Do your research before making such an asinine comment.
+ 1

Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Xiek
Jewish Lightning to describe an insurance claim fire
People actually say that? I've never heard that in all my 35 years.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
I am totally confused by those statements condeming me for using the word choose.
This is pretty much prooving my point at the same time BTW. look how quick people jump at someone with derogatory remarks towards someones comment.
you just called my asinine because you did not understand or agree with what I said. instead of asking me to elaborate as an adult would, you just called me a name? And you are claiming to be better then the persons who this post is about? thank goodness for thick skin

I will try and explain it like this. I am a straight male. I am attracted to females. I also choose to be with them. I don't have to. I choose to because I am attracted to them so therefore I act upon it.

How is it different for a gay person?

You are attracted to the same sex and you choose to act upon that. you can also choose not to. you are not being forced into it, you prefer to act upon your choice, as do I.

Last edited by muladesigns1; 04-27-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
well you did originally say we chose to be gay... which is not the case. When did you choose to be heterosexual?

so what you are saying is that your choice as a heterosexual is females or nothing? You can choose to be partnered with a female, or live your life alone, with no emotional or sexual contact with anyone?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Xiek
well you did originally say we chose to be gay... which is not the case. When did you choose to be heterosexual?

so what you are saying is that your choice as a heterosexual is females or nothing? You can choose to be partnered with a female, or live your life alone, with no emotional or sexual contact with anyone?
I actually said you chose to live an alternate lifestyle, not chose to be gay.

And, Correct, it is a "choice" to live the lifestyle in which I prefer.
We are born in life with a blank slate and mind. we choose to act upon our likes and dislikes throughout life. therefore, everything we do with any given situation that comes before us is our "choice" is it not?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
PGT
Banned
We are born in life with a blank slate and mind.
no

therefore, everything we do with any given situation that comes before us is our "choice" is it not?
no again. nature vs. nurture....do a little reading plz

Old 04-27-2009, 06:28 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
no

no again. nature vs. nurture....do a little reading plz
well at least I can admit one thing. your statements to what I have written are as dumbfounding to me as mine are to you

Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
PGT
Banned
well at least I can admit one thing. your statements to what I have written are as dumbfounding to me as mine are to you
well, at least mine is based on formal education.

and, no need to include me in your confusion. I'm not confused (about this, my sexuality or the fact that the majority of those who identify themselves as homosexuals believe they were born this way and it's NOT a choice...science backs this up).

but, discussing this isn't the purpose of this thread and certainly it will lead to a political/religious/moral discussion and we all know better than to go there.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
well, at least mine is based on formal education.

and, no need to include me in your confusion. I'm not confused (about this, my sexuality or the fact that the majority of those who identify themselves as homosexuals believe they were born this way and it's NOT a choice...science backs this up).

but, discussing this isn't the purpose of this thread and certainly it will lead to a political/religious/moral discussion and we all know better than to go there.
For someone who is so educated and reads a lot, you sure didn't take the time to correctly read my posts. maybe you should start again a little slower this time. i never said homosexuality was a choice

Old 04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I totally agree with Xiek that we cannot choose to whom we are attracted, and also with mula on one of his points... we CAN choose how we behave.

I have a problem with the use of the phrases, 'alternative lifestyle' and 'gay lifestyle', as they tend to imply that there is a uniform standard of behaviors which apply to and define all LGBT people. That's as ridiculous as saying the same thing about heterosexual folks. We (gay and straight) are as similar in the tremendous range of our individual behaviors as we are different in our gender attractions.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
The use of the term "retarded," as in, "That's idea is really retarded" is not intended to be hurtful towards people with developmental disabilities. However, the use of the word in this context is still taken as offensive by many, if not most, people.

Many people, myself included, see the use of "gay" to describe something as stupid or less than adequate as offensive because it uses a term which refers to a group of people to express something negative. It is usually an indirect or unintended insult, but an insult nonetheless.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Dr. Kinsey was a scientist that did a lot of research about sex. From this research and his 18,000 interviews, he created the Kinsey scale, and at different points in our life we sit at different points on that scale. 0 being totally heterosexual, 6 being totally homosexual. Most people believe it or not, fall in the 1,2, 4,5 ranges... not many 1's or 6's out there.

Kinsey Scale

He also explored the "Nature vs. Nature" with sexuality.

Where they tried to determine if sexuality was nurtured or nature. If is nurtured, then how do severly heteronsexual, catholic parents raise homosexual children? If it is nature, then how do homosexual parents produce heterosesual children? (Gay Male using his sperm with a gay female?)

No one has really proven the Nature vs. Nurture debate, there are great points to both sides.

Actually, Law & Order, had a show about that debate once a few seasons ago. It was somewhat based on true events.

Twin males were born, there was an accident with the circumcision, and as they say, "it's easier to make a hole then a pole". The parents went to a psychiatrist and asked some advice, he then proceeded to try and prove the nature vs. nurture debate, by raising one of the twins as a boy, and one as a girl. Things were going fine until puberty set in, the girl, liked girls, now she was raised as a heterosexual female, that she should like boys, but she didn't.
So, from this, that scenario sorta proves that it is nature, engrained into you before birth.

Are there any heterosexual's in this forum that would care to comment on their choice to be heterosexual?

The only choice I see with your definition, is to be with a partner, or no one. That is not much of a choice. Everyone wants to love someone and be loved.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Well I will say this much on the subject to the OP. I think that todays society has gotten to PC and everyone who does anything different then the masses usually gets picked upon, or ridiculed. Is it rite? Absolutely not.

is it a fact of life? Yes, unfortunatelly.

I do stand by my original statement of, If you choose to do something other then "main stream" anything in life then you better get "thick skin" because the masses are never going to agree, or understand what and why you do what you do.

to sit here on a computer bitchen and complaining because someone used the word "gay" to your dissaproval is childish. your grown men for christ sake! act it! i would expect my 9 year old to get bothered by someone calling him a name not a friggin grown man!

I'm off my soap box now, Good Night!

sorry to sound upset but I can't believe how long this is going on about something so irrelevant to our lives. this is the internet, who cares.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
I responded because the question was asked.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
saturn
4th Gear
You chose theis "alternative" lifestyle that is not accepted by the general population.
Muladesigns1, this was your original statement, period. As far me calling you a name, sorry, wouldn't give you the time, I called your remarks asinine which by definition is: extremely or utterly foolish. Google it. Where you got this "And you are claiming to be better then the persons who this post is about?" from is waaaay beyond me. You said it not me.

Look, we can sit here and argue for the rest of our lives about what is right in some peoples eyes and what is wrong in others, the point is, posts that some (probably with a "thinner skin" than most) people might find offensive will not be tolerated.
I, myself, have heard every *** joke, gay bashing phrase, homophobic slur there is and none of them have yet to bother me. In fact I laugh at them, right to their face, as a "man" would. As long as homosexuality will be around, so will the close minded homophobes. It's a fact of life.
Some "gay" people might get offended by the use of the word "gay" used as a negative insult when said from one straight man to another. Sorry bud, nothing you can do about it.
WE'RE HERE WE'RE QUEER AND WE RAISE AWARENESS, AND PROPERTY VALUES!
Now let's kiss and make-up.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on a perceived offensive thread