PittStop MINI Club The PittStop MINI Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.pittstopmini.org

MINIs At Nemacolin!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINIs At Nemacolin!

MINIs At Nemacolin!
Hello,
Just wanted everyone to know that Nemacolin Woodland Resort in Farmington ,Pa (about 70 Miles south-east of Pittsburgh) is hosting a Air and Auto show open to the public Oct 22, 2005 and is FREE to attend. Rare and older cars and planes. Plus the owners very own collection on display. A great event at its first year. Please email me for more information if you will be able to go to this event. Check out their website at www.nemacolin.com for more information about the Resort and what is going on. Trying to get some of the Pittstop group members to turn up at this event along with MINI of Pittsburgh.
This is located in the mountains near Seven Springs and the famed Frank Lloyd Wright House Fallingwater and Kentuck ****.
Please Email me if you are going to attend, even if to view!

Thanks alpinamike

Old 09-09-2005, 06:32 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I'll be there if others attend. Would be great if club could work out a deal so we can have a seperate parking area

Old 09-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While the Club encourages attendance, this is not an "official" Club event. ...We already had another event planned. Sorry to disappoint, but we will not actually be arranging much of anything for this.

But, I already know of a handful of cars that are planning to attend and a few that are going to be staying overnight. Should be a nice event. Not sure yet if I will make it. Currently, it looks doubtful.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Nemacolin Meet

I am helping with Nemacolin and even though the club is doing something a week before, this is for club members and non club, I would like this to be a club event and if it turn outs that people like it, then later on it could be usefull.
Anyway this will be great because of the english showcase of any older cars along with the other clubs I have invited. Like the PVGP, i hope to have many exotic cars. Along with the planes.
I will be at the event of course. And will organize members who attend, which will be free and we can get pics of the MINI's around the grounds and Hotel. Just a reminder they Host the

"84 Lumber Classic"

to get a idea of what they do. Great golf Course!!
Great Fall Pictures. Plus dealers will be Attending along with some exotic ones.
Please contact me if you want to go!
I will have a full run of MINI events to the Nemacolin Show THIS Week.
It will be a simple drive from a point to Nemacolin.

thanks alpinamike

Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Its Free Now!

Well, now entering your car is free, but they will have $$$ cars entering.
You can just show up and watch, many things to do that day also. Check their website. Anyone in the area or driving by is welcomed.
Plus I am orginizing a run into Nemacolin before the show.
From Washington, PA down 40. Nemacolin is past Bradocks Grave. Not the Castle.
-alpinamike
[img]i:maps_directions_01.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
From Marketing

I am having trouble posting imgs on here from my C drive.
How to?

alpinamike

Old 09-27-2005, 08:09 PM
wzuzack
1st Gear
pics

Send to me and I'll post on the club site, maybe get you some more exposure
wzuzack@hotmail.com

Bill Zuzack

To post on forum, click My Gallery on main menu, upper left on screen. Next screen has Upload Photos in upper right, click here

Old 09-27-2005, 08:23 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
to large to post.

And i cant make it smaller
-alpinamike

Old 09-29-2005, 02:00 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Its up in the air for me now. My sister is coming from SC to visit that weekend. I may still try to steal away for a few hours, only a 25 min. drive for me.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:53 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Stop by if you can.

I will have more on the RUN also by the end of the week, and will try to post more information.
I might have more then MINIs coming with us!!
-alpinamike

Old 10-17-2005, 12:50 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Update on Run to Nemacolin!!

Hello,
Due to the small amount of interest on the Run and the time I have to be at the Auto show, We will not be having the run this time from Washington to Nemacolin.
Since this is their first year I will be helping out and others will be learning how things run, this will give MINI and other groups time to set up and get orginized.
I will be at the Show and would like all MINI members to stop by( and say hello) so I know how many will show along with the ones who signed up!
Just look for the Hot Orange with the Blue top and White Wheels , I should be the only one.
I hope to see you at the show and remember its free to enter and look, along with all the activities listed on www.nemacolin.com and www.pittstopmini.org .

Two great websites to check out!

Hope to see you!
-alpinamike

Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 AM
G.savor
Neutral
SHARaMINI

Chris and I are planning to be at the Nemacolin Woodland show any idea where and you all plan to leave from and a time,would try and be there thanks Gary

Old 10-18-2005, 01:50 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I have to be there early.

We would be leaving from Washington then down the back way, but I think I will be going the turnpike, I have to look at streets and trips to figure out which is the best way since its right off the old national road, you can see it from their. They wiil have people directing to the show, if you are going to show your car, and to the parking deck , where everyone else will park , then shuttle out to the Links parking lot, I think, but not 100%.
i will see what going on when I get to nemacolin.
On their webpage reg has to be done and cars for show by 10:00 am
Hope the weather is as nice as todays.
I would like to make a list of whose going.
thanks alpinamike

Old 10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
MindTheGap
3rd Gear
Nemecolin Caravan

[font=Courier New]Is anybody going to Nemecolin this Saturday, leaving from the North Hills? A friend and I are meeting around 8 AM at I79 in Wexford to get there by 10 AM for the static display. Please contact me if you want to caravan with us. [/font]

Old 10-24-2005, 04:24 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Thanks for showing!

For all that showed up, thanks
even though the weather was crapy.
we had a good turnout to the show.
Thanks Murphy, Mind Gap, and everyone else who went.
Will do next year and hope to get more.
I will have pictures up here or on www.pittstopmini.org
-alpinamike

Old 10-25-2005, 07:03 AM
MindTheGap
3rd Gear
Nemacolin Report

We had a great time in spite of the crappy weather on Saturday. But most of the type of show cars that would have otherwise attended wisely stayed parked in their garages. Part of the reason might have also been because their was no fee to show and people had nothing to lose if they didn't come. In fact there were a couple of die-hards I was really surprised to see there. It's a shame we didn't have Sunday's glorious weather but on Saturday for the show. But rain it did on Saturday, and with our golf umbrellas in hand, we made the rounds smoking our cigars.

Due to the foggy & rainy conditions, the fly-in and fly-overs were cancelled too. But we went down to the hanger and checked out the 3 vintage airplanes on display. A short walk away was the Auto Toy Store. Most of these cars were bona-fide museum pieces, but most were also for sale. The only ones that weren't were the sentimental pieces owned by the family of the owners of Nemacolin. My absolute favorite was a jet-black gull-wing Mercedes, reasonably(?) priced at $325k. My friend and I debated as we dreamed of owning it, and ultimately decided that even if we could afford it and our wives let us buy it, we would be too afraid to actually drive it! I would be sick if it even got a stone chip. The paint on this was nothing short of immaculate. Not even the slightest swirl marks could be seen on this perfect black paint.

On Sunday my friend Sam (S Murphy license plate) treated me to accompany him on the 2 hour Hummer off-road adventure. We got a real H1 type. I know there are people on NAM that scorn these Behemoths but like anything they have their place. After having experienced this vehicle I have a new-found respect for it. They are uncomfortable as hell, and except for serious off-roading, I would see no reason to own one.

We started out each taking a turn on the Hummer factory-designed obstacle course. We climbed obstacles that seemed impossible, including 30" shear walls with a railroad ties protruding from it, boulders, you name it. It handled a 40 degree sideways incline, and what seemed like near vertical inclines too where you could see nothing but sky until you slowly topped the crest. This vehicle did things I thought would be impossible.

Once we got the feel for the vehicle, it was off to the off-road trails. I got to go first, and most of my hazards were through water, mud, and more mud. This might not sound very challenging, but there was one exteme muddy slope that even the H1 was not going to make it over that day. I was happy I had the benefit of MINI winter driving school, because it was really pretty hairy when a 6,000 pound vehicle won't go in the direction you have the wheel turned through 18" deep mud. Talk about fun!

Next was Sam's turn. We went to a different area, and this terrain was drier but none the less challenging. Sam had to navigate big boulders, and at least once I was looking up to be sure the roll bars looked sturdy enough because of the pitch of the slope and boulders the H1 was stepping over. Thinking back to the training course helped to reassure me though.

It might be blasphemy to some of you to praise a Hummer, but hey, too bad! If you enjoy driving and adventure, why limit yourself? I would highly recommend this activity to anybody that wants to stretch their driving ability.

Our wives got spa treatments while we got the hell beat out of us in the H1, so we all enjoyed ourselves!

Anyway, the rest of the time was spent enjoying the resorts ammenities. The resturaunts were very good, and after dinner we had a cognac or port and enjoyed cigars in the cigar bar. We stayed overnight.

Overall, the resort was very nice although seemingly in the middle of nowhere. It is very sprawling in size so it never seemed crowded even though it was fully booked. If you plan on going next year, start saving now if you are going to stay the night (rooms were around $350/night with a 2 night minimum, although my friend Sam convinced them to give us 2 rooms for just 1 night instead.) The resturaunts were not inexpensive either (a sit down breakfast around $15 each) and don't ask about dinner! :impatient But if you ever stayed at a resort anywhere this is not unexpected. I'm just telling you so you know what to expect if you've never been.

My only comment for next year, would be a separate car class category for MINIs. We basically had a choice of entering an unmodified sports car class or stock from 1981 or something - present. And we all know that MINIs are in a class of their own anyway! I hope to see you there next time.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Good Review.

Alpinamike,
Did not know you guys were staying there, and doing stuff the next day!
I wish we he the weather on Sunday, perfect in the morning.
Been to Nemacolin when they just started the chateu(sp?), and it was a great experience. Then they built the Spa, and now the New place which is Falling Rock, wow, what a place for the Frank Lloyd Wright Buff, like me. I could write a 100 page paper on Nemacolin and what they have to offer.
I can sum it up to over the top. I will post pics!!
And I will be working with them on next year, which is to be much bigger and over the top.

They have always been a great place for the people that demand more in life.
The Auto Toy Store has a great collection.
The Planes are great, too.
I tried to get some pic of us a the Resort but everyone wanted to leave after the crappy weather, but i got some on my own.
Too bad the club missed this, i think some of the members would have loved this, and thanks to the Dark Silver MCS from Maryland( saw you there), and the People who drove 8 miles with their HO blue top MCSC with horse shoe rims for showing up to look around!!
In the future I hope this to be a main stop for MINI Corp. I am in the works with them.
Murphy and Grim, I hope your wives liked the spa, and all the life of living good. Nemacolin reminds me of all the great places I have been rolled into one!
Great food also! If you can spare the change.
Thanks alpinamike