PittStop MINI Club The PittStop MINI Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.pittstopmini.org

Watch your wallet at MoP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch your wallet at MoP

Last edited by Veni_Vidi_Vici; 08-14-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Caveat emptor
Old 08-15-2008, 05:33 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
With a subject like that, you need to explain?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I'd sure like to know what that means. I have never thought them (or any car dealer, for that matter) to be cheap - so I'm always wary of using them unless necessary - but this sounds like a situation.

Even though MoP is the biggest/best Club sponsor, it doesn't mean they get a free pass. ....so, whasssup?

Last edited by Mini2Go; 08-15-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I thought better about posting the details after I read the post. Bottom line, they wanted to charge me a huge amount of money for work that didn't need to be done. If you take your Mini there, off warranty, don't take what they say as gospel. If I had it would have cost me $1276 + tax.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 PM
EBR53
2nd Gear
They don't call them stealerships for nothing. I avoid the franchise dealers for any non-warranty repairs on every car I own.

I had a problem with my BMW M Coupe. The Peaker Research code reader indicated it was the mass air meter. The car would buck and sometimes wouldn't start. I took the mass air out meter, cleaned it as best one can and reinstalled several times. The car would run perfectly for a few miles then start having the same symptoms.

I called Sewickley to see what it would be to replace. Of course, they wanted "at least" an hours diagnostic then if it was the meter, $400 for the part and another hour worth of labor to install. I had the thing in and out several times in less than 15 minutes.

I temporarily swapped the meter with one from a friend's S52 M3 and it resolved the issue. I then found a salvaged meter from a place in Georgia and had it shipped for less than $200. I installed it (again in 15 minutes) and never had another problem. I would have had $600+ and probably some dubious "shop" or "environmental" charges as well as tax in it had I taken it to Sewickley.

If the meter hadn't fixed the problem, you think they would have given me the $600 back? No, they would have wanted to keep troubleshooting at $100/hour.

The most ironic part of the whole affair was that it occurred shortly after I purchased a pre-oiled, over-priced Dinan filter from them to replace the dirty one. Dinan only sells them that way to prevent over-oiling issues. I'm pretty confident that caused the problem in the first place.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's like anyplace else, have to be careful. MoP is pretty good on warranty stuff and has always treated me fairly, but I'm still under warranty there. I do have one repair I'm bringing them this week; we'll see how that goes...

Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
It's like anyplace else, have to be careful. MoP is pretty good on warranty stuff and has always treated me fairly, but I'm still under warranty there. I do have one repair I'm bringing them this week; we'll see how that goes...
Leon, please post the results. Good or bad.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by track-toy
Leon, please post the results. Good or bad.
Also, if you come to the dealership needing repairs, see me in the showroom (and use some confidentiality), I can get you a club discount on the parts. By confidentiality I mean not broadcasting this discount around and you must talk to me. My day off is Friday so don't try this on Fridays.

Graham
Motoring Advisor, MINI of Pittsburgh

Old 10-24-2008, 03:31 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Graham: Thanks for the reminder - I had forgotten about this posting. I had an oil plug that was overtightened during the last oil change, and the plug "flats" stripped when I tried to remove it. The Service folks were very good about taking care of this under warranty, and replacing the plug for me. During the visit I mentioned that my dash had a rattle, and the Service guys scheduled an appointment, completely took care of the rattle, replaced the wipers, and washed the car - even called to check on me since I rode my race bike home (I was fine).

Absolutely no negative issues. Well, the one service manager could show a bit more enthusiasm, but he's very knowledgeable and helpful. All in all I can't imagine a better service department.

Hope that helps, and no I'm not employed or at all compensated by the dealer.