Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, and Alaska

Help! I got rear-ended!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Rainforest_Elf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I got rear-ended!

Tonight I was rear-ended by some dude in a monster truck tonight (okay, well, a huge truck).

My Mini is still driveable, but the hatch is totally crunched in, all the glass is shattered. The airbags didn't deploy, so the guy didn't hit me that hard (he said he "couldn't see me because you're too small" Well jerk-off, maybe your car is just too big?) but there is still a significant amount of damage which will probably involve my back bumper and my entire hatch door being replaced, if I had to guess.

I am so frustrated right now you guys. I know it's just a car, and I am SO glad that no one was hurt, but it's irritating. I've been in one other major accident that required bodywork on my Mini and they had it for a 6 weeks. Is that typical? Who do you all recommend for bodywork?

Last edited by Rainforest_Elf; 07-26-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:50 AM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure who you'd go to in your area but from experience, you'd better seek a claim for diminished value. That accident will cost you even more when you go to sell it so you should have the at-fault drivers insurance pay up now not only for the repairs but for the additional value lost as a result of the idiots blunder.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:55 AM
Rainforest_Elf
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bjcarter2
Not sure who you'd go to in your area but from experience, you'd better seek a claim for diminished value. That accident will cost you even more when you go to sell it so you should have the at-fault drivers insurance pay up now not only for the repairs but for the additional value lost as a result of the idiots blunder.
I've never heard of such a thing. I was in a crash about 4 years ago (that I was found to be at fault for, but that's another story), that required about $8k worth of repairs on my Mini, so while it was fixed to perfection, doesn't that right there depreciate the value of my car?

I'm just so shaken up and frustrated. The man who hit me was pretending to be calm about it when the cops were around, but was kind of belligerent with me when I got pissy he couldn't provide me a copy of his insurance card ("oh, they're all online now, sorry.")

I hate people sometimes.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 AM
champ198
3rd Gear
My car has been gone since June 19 over a fender bender from a careless driver. The other insurance should cover a rental for you while your car is in the shop. You have a right to take your car to a shop that you choose. Choose a BMW certified shop. Also make sure they use OEM parts.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Rainforest_Elf
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by champ198
My car has been gone since June 19 over a fender bender from a careless driver. The other insurance should cover a rental for you while your car is in the shop. You have a right to take your car to a shop that you choose. Choose a BMW certified shop. Also make sure they use OEM parts.

Oh wow, that totally sucks! I guess no matter who you take it to, it's going to take awhile since Mini's are such specialized cars.

I called my dealership and was referred to the same shop in Portland that I was 4 years ago. The difference is, this time I'm actually going to use Active Auto Body even though it's further away. The place I took it to before was absolutely terrible.