Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Motorcycle - more fun?

Old 09-20-2006, 05:39 AM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by royce
a long time car enthusiast considering the purchase of a motorcycle - how does the fun compare to our minis or cars in general for that matter?
I rode bikes for over 35 years and the Mini is pretty close to what I felt on the bike. There's no feeling like it when the weather is warm, sun is on your face, and you're one with the road. I miss the riding solo, (though wife loved to ride as much as I did) and smelling the country side, what neighbor is having bacon for breakfast, or the smell of fresh cut grass. Flowers in bloom.....
I don't miss riding in the rain, though if you're prepared for it, it's not so bad. Don't miss people in 'cages' cutting me off, or not 'seeing' me.
Wife and I have so many great memories. Pulling our pop-up camper for almost 3000 miles while we camped in Wisconsin and the UP of MI. Riding to Whitefish Point, the smell of the pines along the road. A friend and I riding 4000 miles in 10 days to the southwest, Amarillo, Carslbad, and San Antonio (from then home near Cinci).
If you do decide to ride take a MSF course. My son and I took one together and I learned a lot, even after 25 years of riding. Plus we had fun together. Little fart beat dad in the riding part of the course, but I think I got him in the written part,

Good luck in your decision. Have fun.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 AM
thomasdmini
2nd Gear
Interesting how one can "read" the motorcycle experience levels in the different postings here.

1. I frequently describe the MINI as a "motorcycle with at cockpit" - usually to folks that haven't operated either one.

2. The MINI's not as wild as a bike, but the parapalegic-probabilty is compelling if you have loved ones that would have to change the bed pan.

3. I'll never forget the uncontrollable shaking on that freezing ride home at Thanksgiving.

4. Most motorcycle accidents aren't the rider's fault, but you're still the one on the asphalt.

5. over 60% motorcycle accidents happen in the first 60 days of riding. don't know about MINI's.

6. you can't beat a bike for wicked wicked acceleration. maybe an F16, but they're about $20 million.

7. As long as I'm the sole wage earner, the bike switch is off. c'est la vie.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:03 AM
MedicMan55
3rd Gear
Hey everyone,

I am just going to lay this out on the table, they are just my opinions.

I used to ride. I rode before I knew how to drive, I owned a 1971 Yamaha AT-1 Enduro. That bike was a blast. My dad and I rebuilt the bike and I have great memories about those times.
As I got older I wanted to ride on the street, since riding around your lawn can only be so much fun. My dad wouldn't allow it. He knew it was dangerous. I would ask through the years, and eventually I sold the bike.
I work in the funeral profession now, and I must thank my dad for his decision. When we get people in motorcycle accidents, they are always closed caskets.
People don't care anymore when they drive. They dont watch out for anything, we are too busy eating, talking drinking etc. to pay attention.

Those are just my two cents.
Medic

Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
I've been riding for about 9 years. I don't put on a lot of miles, but I've always called it my "two wheeled therapy machine".

A lot of others have described the experience of riding here, and everyone will get something different from the experience. I enjoy the focus that you have to maintain. It's very easy to let your mind wander in a car, but it can be deadly on a motorcycle. That focus allows me to "forget" the other things that are going on in my life and enjoy the moment, and the experience.

The smells, the feel of the road. Every time you go out it's different, even if you've been on the same road 100 times.

Ofcourse it can be dangerous, and unfortunitally you can do everything right, and still get into an accident with someone who wasn't paying attention, or didn't see you because the sun was at your back, or 1000 other reasons. But it's a personal choice as to whether the risks are worth the reward.

Don't let anyone tell you that it's to dangerous, or you'll get killed, etc. Take the MSF class and see if you like the feeling. It only costs about $100, and there isn't a commitment to buy a motorcycle, or helmet etc. It nothing else, I found that the class made me a better driver because I learned what motorcycles would do in a situation, and how to see and avoid them.

Maybe you'll find it isn't for you. And you know what, that's fine. But maybe like some of us, you'll be hooked right away. One of my instructors, who had been riding for years, told us that every time he went out on a ride he learned something new. If you do get the bug, take the time to practice everytime you go riding. Learn your limits (and the bikes limits) and give your self a big margin.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:19 AM
stecz
1st Gear
I'll weigh in here... I ride a bike ('91 BMW K75s) and have an MCS (2003 with 8k miles). I ride my bike 90% of the time. I also drive my bike much LESS aggressively than I drive my MCS.

They are both fun, but I prefer the bike. If you're young and think you're immortal, don't get the bike, but if you've matured some and can deal with riding semi-conservatively, have fun on the bike.

If you get a bike... budget money for the gear. I have an armor ventilated jacket ($200), a nice helmet ($300) and gloves.

It is dangerous, but not as bad as the other posters are making it sound.

John S.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thomasdmini
6. you can't beat a bike for wicked wicked acceleration. maybe an F16, but they're about $20 million.
Well actually, an F1 car can knock a bike off, as was proven by Honda, but on the street, you'd need at least a Ferrari Enzo to give it a chance.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Try to remember that the guy asked about fun - I'm sure he'll get enough lectures about safety and consider that factor on his own.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:29 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MedicMan55
When we get people in motorcycle accidents, they are always closed caskets.
HEY, I thought that as what the full-face helmets were for, preserving the open casket tradition for our loved ones...

Old 09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Get an ariel "Atom" just as fast as a bike, handles better, and you are still exposed to the outside elements. Also with the chassie making up the outside of the car you have a slight bit more protection over a bike.

If i had the money i would have my Mini and an Atom.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:40 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
And on the safety note, you think an open wheel car at less than half the height of a regular car is safer than a motorcycle? I'll bet it's a toss-up.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CDMINI
And on the safety note, you think an open wheel car at less than half the height of a regular car is safer than a motorcycle? I'll bet it's a toss-up.
well, it is slightly bigger then a bike...maybe a little easier to see and it has four wheels, which i would assume makes it easier to make sudden stops to avoid crashes. Instead of having to lay the bike down. I would also rather somethnig hit the chassie tubes on the side first instead of my thigh bone.

i dunno, just my .02

Old 09-20-2006, 03:54 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Tell us how it holds up, looking at them I wouldn't give it a four star crash rating. At least with a bike there is the chance you could be thrown clear of the accident. It's happened to me at least a few times. You'll be in that ATOM until it's all over with. Everyone thinks four wheels on the ground is automatically safer, I think is goes back to getting hooked on those training wheels on the early age bicycles. Never had them and always hated them. You'd be surprised what a good rain or dirt rider can do with just two wheels, it's pretty amazing to see.

P.S. Riders don't "lay bikes down" to avoid accidents that just a code word for "I screwed up and crashed it".

Old 09-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CDMINI

P.S. Riders don't "lay bikes down" to avoid accidents that just a code word for "I screwed up and crashed it".
This is true. Laying a bike down would mean giving up all control of the situation. Much better to stay upright so you can brake and just possibly steer around an obstacle. With the possible exception of broadsiding a semi-trailer.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:00 PM
ropauto
2nd Gear
Bikers are bikers and the rest drive cars...

"Bikers are Bikers and the rest drive cars." This quote was from my late boss, Walt Brown, Factory Test Rider for Hendee Maufacturing Builders of " Indian Motorcycles".

In my youth, I worked for both a Motorcycle and Automobile Factory. I both tested and evaluated their units...Comparing Motor-Bikes and Motor-Cars is a lot comparing "Oranges and Apples"...

Owning a new 1967 Austin Mini Copper S and a 2004 MCS the same could be said of them..Their a breed apart...

..Bye the Bye....One of my former bosses worked in the 60's as US National Service Manager for BMC and later for Toyota were I meet him...Knowing I owned a troublesome Mini he asked what I thought of the S or Super model..Some people think it stands for Sport I always thought it stood for Super, coming out of a former factory employee lips.

It's nice to enjoy both driving a new MCS and riding a vintage Ducati SS900..

Just remember to keep your mouth closed while riding a bike..Keeps you from picking the bugs out of your teeth......

Old 09-20-2006, 06:05 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ropauto
Just remember to keep your mouth closed while riding a bike..Keeps you from picking the bugs out of your teeth......
Easy solution, wear a full face helmet

Good gear can make all the difference, plenty of riders have the occasional spill and come away fine as long as they are dressed for it.

Now let's see pics of that Duc

Old 09-20-2006, 06:08 PM
PGT
Banned
my wife convinced me to sell my Beemer and buy a cage. So, Mini # 2 is in the garage. Not the same as my F650GS, but alas....marriage is compromise.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit801
If you like getting run off the road by trucks who can't see you, getting hit by stones kicked up by tires, spattered by insects, pelted by rain....
I've had all of that happen to me while in a MINI multiple times, I even considered wearing my helmet on the highway (hey its DOT legal so a valid option) after I kept having rocks break the skin on my face; but like Yucca said helmets are for whimps
Originally Posted by Mira
I would describe the feeling of riding a motorcycle as:
A dance, a finely choreographed ballet. When you and the bike are one, moving together, in sync. It is a rhythm that vibrates through every fiber of your body. It is empowering, exhilerating and humbling all at the same time. It is seeing the scenery from a totally different perspective. It is the sweetly scented air that you cannot appreciate and barely notice until you are riding a motorcycle, when the smells of the earth are magnified 1000x's. The shady country road that smells of damp earth, the flowers, the trees, the grass, the cows, the sun on your face and the smile in your heart. It is envigorating. It is alive. It is real and it is more vibrant than ever. It is freedom and it is beautiful.
This is exactly how I would describe driving my MINI.

I've seen a few torn up bodies as results of motorcycle accidents, some alive some not. I've also seen the same with car accidents, but those where a little different but the occupants were no less harmed. MINI vs. truck and Motorcycle vs. truck; yeah I'd give the odds to the occupants of the MINI, but they are just that odds. Everything has risk to it, the key is to minimize the risk to the point where you find it acceptable.

Even after seeing what I have, there is no less desire in my heart to go motoring. And even still I do plan on at least learning how to ride and giving motorcycle riding an equal chance, it is something that when practical I'd like to take up as a hobby of sorts, I live in an area that is below 60 degrees for more than 6 months a year and has notorious winters, however I had a neighbor who rode 365 days a year and loved every minute of it.

If its your passion and you have the means and the desire to do it right then go for it!

Old 09-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Shazam's white lightning
3rd Gear
My advice...

Do it and never wonder what Tom, ****, and Harry (or is it Larry... or Mary?... whatever) think about what you do or how you choose to have fun

I'm an avid female sportbiker who rides both track and street. When the weather is good, I go with how I'm feeling that morning and choose between White Lightning, my S, or Shiniqua, my Aprilia (I resort to the 4-wheeler when it snows). Lately, with the cooler weather this fall here in Colorado, it's so peaceful on the bike in the canyons or just riding to work, it's hard to describe the freedom of riding in the open wind.

I've had my MSF courses, been on tracks from Laguna to Sachsenring and the Dragon in NC, and still love it every single day. With EVERY motorsport, there's risk, no denying it! But, if you live within the fears of others, you aren't living, my friend.

I've been to two funerals this summer for friends. One was for a 23 yr old very experienced roadracer who was killed by a first time track rider on a Gixxer (both died actually). And the other for a 46 yr old friend killed in a 3/4 ton chevy truck when it rolled because he was reaching for his cell phone to call his wife on the way to work. So, again, don't let others' fears make your mind up!

On a lighter note: One thing I am very fortunate to experience is that when I've been on any road or track and remember an oncoming pothole, or set of bumps, or sweeping right hander, I feel more in control when I come upon it again in either the Mini or bike.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:44 PM
eVal
6th Gear
One thing I've discovered is that there are a lot of female riders

Old 09-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Shazam's white lightning
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
One thing I've discovered is that there are a lot of female riders
That's always an awesome thing to hear

Old 09-20-2006, 07:31 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Largest NEW demographic for new motorcycle licenses is women. Largest rapidly growing statistic for motorcycle accidents or fatalities is relatively new rider over 40, single vehicle accident, where alcohol was a factor, does the term "Poker Run" come to mind?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:16 PM
phillyunderworld
2nd Gear
i had two motorcycles before the age of 21. a 79 kawasaki kz 750, and a 1992 suzuki katana. nothing i've ever had has compared to those two bikes.not even a mini.comparing cars and motorcycles is like comparing a natural ice and a bodington's (although i really enjoy a natural ice).you really can't even begin to imagine the difference unless you've ridden before. this topic makes me want to purchase something.

2000 bucks. hell yeah!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:39 AM
bzn by
4th Gear
MIRA, great post!!!

Go get the motor but first do take the safety course. It is well worth the investment, and you can always learn something. If you enjoy that try to get a track day in with one of the motorcycle schools, I sent my hubby to a "Keith Code cornering school", and he loved it and learned so much, it is well worth the big bucks.

If you decide you want to ride, a must would be the proper attire, you may not look all that cool but you will be safe, and remember when making your helmet selection that you get what you pay for. We ride with Shoei helmets, boots, jackets we have both summer (vented) and winter, and riding pants,
and of course a good pair of riding gloves.

I was a nervous wreck when the hubby left the dirt for the street, but as posted before, anything can happen anywhere, and god forbid if he should have a wreck and die then I know he died doing what he loves. I wouldn't expect him to give up what he loves because it can be "dangerous", I risk my life everyday crossing the street to go to work, so go for it, and in my hubby's opinion, it is no doubt "more fun", but the mini is the closest thing on 4 wheels.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:49 AM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
I'd completely agree w/ Tabasko - I also sold my cruiser motorcycle to be able to get my MINI. I loved riding the bike in the country hills and curves, but after the birth of my son I really got to thinking about what would happen if some idiot on a cell phone pulled out in front of me... ...my kids w/ no Dad IMHO people just don't see bikes. About one death a week it seems around here where someone pulls out or turns in front of a bike. If you need a wide-open experience, a convertible is the way to go. (Hot Orange!)

Someone else posted, 60% of motorcycle accidents aren't the riders fault...but they're still the ones laying on the road... I've had the MINI a month and can't wait to take it on all the roads I found when riding on the bike. (like the Dragon this weekend!!!!! )

Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Dielectric
2nd Gear
Sometimes I fool myself into thinking the MINI is like riding a m/c, but then I go to look through a tight curve to the exit and get a facefull of A-pillar, and I realize it's not the same at all. I love the bike, there is no substitute. I love the wind, the smells, and the peaceful feeling I get when I have it set up perfectly for a long sweeper. I love the people, the performance, and having a perfect unobstructed view of the World.

Everyone should ride, then maybe the cagers would have some respect for the bikers and we'd all be happier for it.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle - more fun?