Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Scion or Element

Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scion or Element

My dog car (96 Olds Silhouette) got totaled yesterday. Intersection collision - other guy ran the red - airbag deployment isn't nearly as much fun as you'd think. Nobody got hurt...thank God my dogs wern't in the car.

I'm only going to get like $3500 or so...but I can add to that.

I checked out the Scion at the LA Auto Show...tons of room! But I read stories of inadequate air conditioner output <this car will spend a lot of time in AZ> and, of course, anemic performance. The performance issue doesn't bother me...after all I have a MINI ... but the AC issue is of concern.

Element is nice as well...<my wife drives a CR-V which is the same vehicle in a different skin> I've been checking those out since introduction...but quite a bit more expensive.
This vehicle is mainly used to transport my two Great Pyrenees to the park...also for general running around and doing the messy chores of life that aren't appropriate for the MINI.

Whichever I end up going for, I'm shopping for a used example. Interestingly, there are a lot of low mile used Scions out there. I wonder if that's because people who shouldn't be taking on the expense are doing so and then bailing out...or...are they bailing out because the Scion is a piece of crap?

So I'm trolling for input. Any Scion owners out there? Element fans?

Thanks
Peter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Teddy Resize.jpg (60.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Porco Rosso
2nd Gear
I'd vote for the Element since you're using it mainly to transport the dogs and do "messy chores". Even the most well-behaved dog can have a bad day...or just track mud in after running around in the dog park. That spray-washable floor in the back would be great.

Also, GPs are big, heavy dogs...seems like they'd only make the Scion's performance even more anemic. I haven't driven an Element, but I drove a friend's Scion for a few hours on a road trip, and I wasn't keen on it.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:35 AM
mr. zero
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll second the Element choice. Prior to acquiring my MCS, are only vehicle was an '04 Element. When we were shopping for that we checked out the Scion as well. You definitely notice the difference in the structural quality for your $5k or $6k difference in price. The xB felt very tin can-like. Plus, I think you get about 40-50% more cargo volume with the Element with the seats out. And (not that it matters in AZ) you get AWD. Plus, for '06 Honda introduced the painted fenders option for the Element. The electric green color is nice.

Check out Car & Driver a few issues ago, they had test between the Element, Scion, PT Cruiser and Chevy HHR. Yes, the Element came in last, but for non-object reasons, like "coolness," etc.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:05 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Actually, the other car is an Element (wife drives it of course )

We got it for 2 reasons : easier to get our daughter in/out of it and it's so much easier to clean. We have a dog too and he has lots of hair (Norwiegen Elkhound). The Element drives great. Heat and A/C works well too. It was mentioned before that it uses the same frame as the CRV.. but the Element definitely has more space inside. It only seats 4 while the CRV seats 5... the rear passengers will have tons of leg room. Also, it's easier to haul stuff in the Element when you fold the seats up(boxes, bikes, building/gardening stuff). We got the EX version w/o 4-wheel drive. It's a Honda, so you definitely know what you're getting.

Yes.. it's a box on wheels, but we love it Of course, I love my MINI more

Old 03-10-2006, 09:09 AM
fred3
4th Gear
Seems like a no brainer to me. Get the Element. It's got those fold up rear seats. It has the rubber floor instead of carpet. It's a Honda.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Yeah - it's a Honda. Our CR-V is a 2000 and it has never so much as burped.
Unless a very good case can be made for a Scion - aside from price which is way less - I guess it's an Element for me.

Peter

Old 03-10-2006, 10:34 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think i prefer the Element over the xB if I was needing a utility car like that.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd take the Element over the Scion. You can get an Element with side air bags. Not with the Scion. I believe both are very good cars.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
My vote would be the Element. They drive pretty nice and are easy to clean out... And my personal opinion is they are visually nicer than the Scion..

Donna

Old 03-10-2006, 12:17 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I, too, weigh in on the side of the Element. In AZ you are going to use the a/c an awful lot, and the Honda will be peppier than the xB with the a/c blasting. I like the fact that you can hose the Element out, too....very practical and more interesting-looking than the xB. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2006, 12:41 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
You cant hose the interior out in the Element but it sure does feel like you're sitting on lawn chairs. It does clean up very easily, which is great for dogs.

Rear doors in the Element are TERRIBLE. The seatbelts for the front seats are attached to them so front seaters have to take their belts off, even if you're just dropping people off. They also cant get in until you undo your belt. May not be a problem if its just your dogs. A coworker of mine had one and it was a huge ordeal when we'd all go to lunch in it. I think the tailgate configurations are different on the vehicles, which may be more important.

The only reason the Element has side airbags is because the side impact rating was scary without them (those terrible doors again). I dont think the side impact rating is great with them, but it is a star better I believe.

I have a scion and it hasnt given me any problems. Its a pretty well rounded car that does everything well, although its a bit underpowered. I accepted that compromise given the price but my need are different than yours. Good luck!

PS - Nice dog!

Old 03-10-2006, 12:54 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that this is likely to be your primary concern, but the xB gets FAR better fuel economy than the Element - like 8-10 mpg more. That widens the cost of ownership even more than the sticker prices suggest.

I considered the xB when I was looking at dumping my 2003 MINI (after the tranny went), and I thought it was a very nicely put together car, but I didn't shop it against the Element, for the reason I've just mentioned. The only thing about the xB that I really hated was the dash design - hideous!

Also check out the Matrix - I believe it has even more cargo capacity than the xB, and it drives much nicer - firm, sporty suspension.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:10 PM
xizor
4th Gear
I read this last night from a couple week old autoweek

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60130017/1005

Old 03-10-2006, 01:48 PM
eVal
6th Gear
When you drive and poke around each one maybe you'll know which will do it for you

Old 03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A matrix Vibe would be a good choice too. The Xb just seems so flimsy. Lots of milage though.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:58 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have an xB and I've never had a problem with the AC, but I don't live in AZ either. It has a ton of room, cost only ~$14K and gets great gas mileage. If its pretty close in your mind and there are other things that you want your money to go towards the Scion. Both of them are made by reputable car makers so I don't think you can really go wrong either way in terms of reliability. One of my favorite things about the Scion is with the front seats all the way back, guys over 6' tall can sit in th backseat and cross their legs. Also we've gotten 2 full sets of tires off an M roadster (relatively big and wide) into the back of the Scion with the seats folded down and had a bit more room to spare

Old 03-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
We have a 2003 Element and my wife loves it. Bought it new so have had it awhile. She is a bit jealous of my MINI because it is so much fun to drive, but otherwise the Honda is a great car. Really comfortable on long trips (lay down the front passenger seat, slide it back to rear passenger seat and it makes a really nice lounge chair, and it got the stickered highway mileage.

Pretty good for hauling stuff around in, but it does not have a huge load capacity so lots of really heavy stuff is limited – I had to make several trips picking up concrete landscaping bricks for example. Only real down side has been it is a four seater, and every once in awhile it would be nice to be able to haul more than me, my wife and son and one more person. However the passenger space is huge so everyone gets a lot of room. With the stadium style seating the rear passengers get a nice view out too.

They have an owners club too http://www.elementownersclub.com and use http://www.handa-accessories.com to get base line low prices on accessories if you decide to get one.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:02 PM
GmanViz
2nd Gear
One more vote for the Element. The wife picked her's up last week and it's very dog-friendly. The rear doors & floor are practically made for big dogs (ours being a 110# yellow lab). The only canine drawback would be the lack of roll-down rear side windows.There is no "head out the window, ears in the wind" opportunity unless no one is sitting in the front passenger seat.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GmanViz
One more vote for the Element. The only canine drawback would be the lack of roll-down rear side windows.There is no "head out the window, ears in the wind" opportunity unless no one is sitting in the front passenger seat.
The best car I have for that is my '71 Morris Minor. It's right hand drive...I take out the left front seat and my dog stands next to me....sometimes with his head out the window. To oncoming traffic it's quite disorienting.

Peter

Old 03-11-2006, 07:19 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I must admit, xB has grown on me to the point that I can almost say that I like it. Boxy, yes, but not as pretentious as that horrible little Xa. At least the xB is honest, and I like that.

I further admit that I'd buy an xB before an Element. Not sure why, because from what I read the Element is very nice. I'm sure I'm only thinking of this on a road-appeal level.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
Besides the Mini & Element are related:

Old 03-12-2006, 06:41 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
I like the element. My sister has one. For your use it would be great. I hate the looks of the element with all of the black plastic, but the new ones have gone to body colored mounding. Much nicer

By the way, What a beautiful dog you have.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:50 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Element: since it was design to handle all dirty work..
But some how the latest (05 or 06) one got painted wheel arch and front bumper , makes it looks worse than the older one.
I bet they want to makes people like it more by painting the bumper like what they did on CRV, however it doesn't work on the Element.

Anyway, I vote on Element.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I really like the shape of the xB.... but I wish it had a bit more power. I did read some where that there is a SC kit for it

I know you mentioned either the xB or Element, but have you looked at the Forester? It's got a decent amount of room and it's AWD. If you get a chance, test drive the turbo Forester (XT I think). It's FAST and a blast to gun it down the street!!

Old 03-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
This seems like an apples and oranges comparisison. The Element is a much nicer car but the price between the two reflect it. I would but the Element unless price is the main concern.

Quick Reply: Scion or Element